The dspMusik 6x8 digital crossover and HiRez DAC system

HAL

The Danville Signal Processing, Inc. dspMusik 2x8 digital processor and HiRez DAC is an Analog Devices SHARC based DSP processor with four Wolfson Micro WM8742 HiRez DAC's running at 24bit/192KHz for all inputs. It uses the Analog Devices Adaptive Sample Rate Converter designed by Bob Adams at AD in it's most complete form.  All signals are processed in PCM format by the floating point DSP.  All internal signal processing is done with 40 bit floating point precision.

The system is limited to two stereo input channels, but the A/D's can be driven by any balanced or single ended source with the correct adapters.  There is no multichannel decoding, but can be run after a surround sound processor via the analog inputs.

The system has stereo A/D converters, USB2 and S/PDIF coaxial inputs for source inputs.  There are eight balanced output DAC output channels that can be assigned in the software to anything needed.  The software allows the user to control all the parameters of the system in real-time with display selection like DAC 32bit digital volume control to drive amps directly.

The MS-3 Music Server hosts both the Foobar2000 music playback software and the Audio Weaver user interface to the dspMusik.  This is a fully integrated system.  If the user runs Room EQ Wizard with a calibrated mic, like the Dayton Audio UMM-6, the speaker and room measurements use the dspMusik as the output source.  This way the measurements are through the digital crossover running on the dspMusik.

Since software like Math Audio room and speaker correction run on the MS-3 PC, they can also be integrated into the system.  Have also tried Dirac Live demo and that worked as well. 

For totally digital source files, the MS-3 runs Foobar2000 directly into the ASIO driver for the dspMusik directly to power amps connected to the speaker drivers. 

One goal of the overall design was to have improved sound quality over the Behringer DCX2496 with improved capabilities.  The Wolfson WM8742 DAC's running at 24bit/192KHz met this goal to the listeners who tested the unit.  Audio Weaver is very flexible and with the capability to define Butterworth and Biquad filters, can be made to do just about any crossover idea.

If anyone has questions on the dspMusik, this will be a good thread to discuss them.  I will post pictures of the user interface and system.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2016, 02:13 am by HAL »

HAL

Re: The dspMusik 6x8 digital crossover system
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2016, 01:39 pm »
The measurement system for the ACA LS-9 speakers passive crossover testing is at the customers house.

When he has everything to get the crossover external to the cabinets, he will be making the measurements required to do the digital crossover design.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2016, 04:56 pm »
Hi Rich,

There is a new XMOS USB chip out now. Will Danville be incorporating it into the future version of dspmusik package?
You once mentioned over on audionervosa that they were working on 32bit 768k version, any news on that front?
Does it have enough processing power to run three way XO and a few contour EQs using all FIR filters to play 24/96 files?
Does your HAL version of dspMusik look like the package shown on Danvile's website? In the extruded aluminum box?
What is the price for MS-3 + dspMusik with AudioWeaver installed? How much for MS-3 alone?
Thanks
Rich

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2016, 06:11 pm »
Rich,
There is a revD version of the dspMusik in design.  Time frame is TBD.  I will let everyone know once I do. 

This new rev will have the new XMOS USB chip for HiRez input.  The inputs will still be sent to the ADSRC to process everything at 24bit/192KHz.  I will not know what rates will be fully supported until it is complete.

I have run 4-way digital crossovers with the existing dspMusik running at 24bit/192KHz.  I have run a considerable number of EQ's, crossovers and delays with lots of processing left over. Only limitation is doing time delays over 15' for two channels runs into the amount of memory available on the ADSP21479.  That will be solved with the higher power ADSP21469 coming as an upgrade with the new XMOS chip.

The only version of the dspMusik available is the one in the 1/2 rack size aluminum box, that is on the Danville website.  That is pictured in the original thread in this circle.

The HAL MS-3 with dspMusik with both Audio Weaver and Room EQ is $2299.00 + s/h.  The stock HAL MS-3 is $799.00 + s/h.  Larger internal SSD's for music libraries are available as increased cost options.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2016, 06:17 pm »
Thanks Rich

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2016, 01:50 pm »
Some folks are discussing crossing over BG Neo8's to Magnepan planars.

From seeing Neo8 measurements would think they would want at least a 4 pole butterworth filter at the XO point. 

That would be close to 8 poles with the drivers response and keep everything the same polarity at crossover point.  All depends on the in baffle measurements and LF cutoff with the drivers.  Dropping down to 2 poles, probably needs the Neo8 driver polarity reversed, and going to have some non-flat response through the crossover point.

Just a thought.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2016, 02:54 am »
On 30 June there will be a Danville Signal announcement about the dspMusik 2x8 system. 

Stay tuned to this Bat Channel for more info as I have it.

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm »
Another part of the dspMusik concept is to eliminate all linear phase filtering from the digital crossover path.  From the USB input to the DAC output, there are no linear phase filters in the DC coupled, balanced signal path. 

For anyone reading the information from Bob Stuart at Meridian Audio about MQA, these are the same ideas he is using. 

To complete this system, a minimum phase ADC module is in build and will be in testing shortly.  The DAC's in use have always had minimum phase filters in use by choice for the Wolfson Micro WM8742 DAC's. 

This is unlike any other DSP based digital crossover out there for audio and the reason for the improved sound quality of the system.  This is not something that MiniDSP, DCX2496, or other entry level digital crossovers can do. 

As part of these ideas, all microphones and speaker drivers are minimum phase devices.  There is nothing in nature that is a non-causal filter like a linear phase filter. 

johngore

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2016, 06:10 am »
Hi - has anyone used the dspMusik for driving a Linkwitz Lxmini? I thought this speaker was a good first build, but I was looking for a higher quality dac than the digital crossovers commonly used with it.

Thanks, John

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2016, 02:42 am »
John,
Sorry, had not seen this question.

To date no one has tried the dspMusik with a Linkwitz Lxmini. 

If the electrical crossover parameters are available to design a digital crossover for the speakers, I can do a version and send with the MS-3 and dspMusik demo system for trials. 

lowtech

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2016, 06:22 am »
Just a note to the LXmini owner.  The electrical transfer curves for your speakers are the intellectual property of Siegfried Linkwitz and should not be shared with others who have not purchased plans.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Construction.htm

"Note: All material is copyrighted and for the personal, non-commercial use by the person who bought it from LINKWITZ LAB.
It may not be passed on in any form for use by others. | Terms & Conditions |
"

HAL

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2016, 12:08 pm »
There is the answer to the question.   If users want to DIY then that is all that can be done. 

Mr. Linkwitz had no interest in discussing it last year, so I take it that the challenge he posted is over.  To bad as time marches on and technology gets better.

lowtech

« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2016, 04:35 pm »
@Hal:
  • You seem to be misinterpreting SL's challenge.  (This isn't the first time).
  • The dspMusik (danvillesignal) may be actually be in use by a Linkwitz design owner.  Perhaps you mean you just have not sold one?
  • For a number of reasons, the OPLUG is probably the better place to discuss Linkwitz designs.

HAL

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2016, 05:05 am »
lowtech,
Since I was asked, and I have the only available dspMusik demo system, I responded.

Danville will sell people a system to use.  I set one up and let people listen to it to decide before buying.  That is based on doing the crossover and testing it before going to the demo.  Since I do not have the data, no crossover will be made.

At this point it is no longer a discussion item. 

HAL

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2016, 03:20 am »
The dspMusik RevD firmware is here for listening tests.  The first version is burned into the demo unit.  Have three different DAC filter configurations to test for selection of the final filter to use for extended listening trials.

The RevD system is extendable to 16 channels with new dspBlocks in design.  This will make the 14 channels of DAC output needed for the open baffle line array beamforming system possible.

THROWBACK

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2016, 12:27 pm »
You are doing some interesting stuff, Rich. Keep it coming.

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm »
Chuck,
Thanks! 

This should get very interesting.  This is the version of the system with the minimum phase ADC module to complete the concepts targeted toward better analog source sound.   

More once I know the selections to use.

HAL

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2016, 02:41 pm »
The initial testing of the new dspMusik ADC module has gone very well.  Did some recordings of voice and guitar to check and very clean sounding with a simple recording setup. 

HAL

« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:52 am »
The final version of the dspMusik RevD beta units will be here tomorrow. 

After beta testing, will be moving the first on into The Megaliths speaker setup for trials.

That unit will be going to Colorado for listening trials with THROWBACK's LS-9 and servo sub setup. 

A second unit maybe going for demos at RMAF2016.  Stay tuned for more info on that possibility.

HAL

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2016, 01:14 am »
The dspMusik RevD beta test systems have arrived and sounding very good in the system. 

The new RevD system has 1 - AKM AK5397 ADC and 4 - AKM AK4459SEQ DAC's that have filter selections with multiple filters that are not linear phase.  The ADC module at this time has a fixed minimum phase filter selection.  The DAC's have 5 filter selections with three that are not linear phase.  Will be doing listening trials with these over the next few weeks to get ready for CO demos. 

Will be doing the first demo with Avoosl's VMPS RM50's tomorrow and then on to another one Saturday.