Soundirok App

Krutsch

Re: Soundirok App
« Reply #140 on: 5 Apr 2017, 03:53 pm »
They worked just fine for me.and others, not sure why it didn't work for you

I don't think you read my post, but i don't really care.

My album art works just fine, at high resolution and with complete coverage on Soundirok.

NorthMac

« Reply #141 on: 5 Apr 2017, 04:23 pm »
I find my ipad mini crashing all the time with Soundirok and load the art is very slow not sure whats going on i tried all setting configurations.

Yes, my 3 yr old iPad Air is slow as well though it does not crash - I find I need to exit most other apps before using it. Based on Camper's post a few posts back, Soundirok really benefits from processor horsepower. The newest Soundirok is slightly better so the developer does seem to be working on the speed issue.  Respect for the MPad developer Berrie, since his app speeded through pages of cover art without a problem even on the oldest iOS devices... too bad it is no longer supported. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #142 on: 5 Apr 2017, 04:28 pm »
Since when did 3D party mpd clients start using the bdp_x.jpg files?

since you could specify a file name, which as far as i am aware have been all them that have supported getting cover art via a hosted web server

mpdroid
soundirok
mpad

and many others

NorthMac

« Reply #143 on: 5 Apr 2017, 05:14 pm »
since you could specify a file name, which as far as i am aware have been all them that have supported getting cover art via a hosted web server

mpdroid
soundirok
mpad

and many others

Chris, this is getting into semantics here.  What Marius and Krutsch were clearly referring to is that other apps do not go looking specifically for the Bryston-created thumbnails - of course they could be configured, if desired, to do so, since most allow the user to specify the (consistently used) name of the desired cover art image.  The point was that virtually everyone who has moved into digital playback already has taken care of their cover art, almost always as part of the music data folder, and were using these while the various iterations of the Bryston user interface were evolving. 

What you are missing a bit is that there is a principle here, that the customer takes responsibility for their music / data files, and Bryston takes care of the playback, while not in any way modifying the customers' data.  I have in fact sold friends viewing my system on the Bryston approach (in contrast to using a computer for digital playback) by stressing just this principle, and for many it is a key feature in understanding why Bryston's digital playback approach is so sound.  Before committing to the ripping, tagging, etc. required by a move to digital playback, they wanted to know that their hard work would be non-proprietary and portable to whatever future system emerged.   By writing anything, no matter how well-intentioned or benign, to the customer's data files and folders, you compromise, admittedly slightly, this principle.  Sometimes principles are important.

Marius

« Reply #144 on: 5 Apr 2017, 07:41 pm »
Chris, this is getting into semantics here.  What Marius and Krutsch were clearly referring to is that other apps do not go looking specifically for the Bryston-created thumbnails - of course they could be configured, if desired, to do so, since most allow the user to specify the (consistently used) name of the desired cover art image.  The point was that virtually everyone who has moved into digital playback already has taken care of their cover art, almost always as part of the music data folder, and were using these while the various iterations of the Bryston user interface were evolving. 

What you are missing a bit is that there is a principle here, that the customer takes responsibility for their music / data files, and Bryston takes care of the playback, while not in any way modifying the customers' data.  I have in fact sold friends viewing my system on the Bryston approach (in contrast to using a computer for digital playback) by stressing just this principle, and for many it is a key feature in understanding why Bryston's digital playback approach is so sound.  Before committing to the ripping, tagging, etc. required by a move to digital playback, they wanted to know that their hard work would be non-proprietary and portable to whatever future system emerged.   By writing anything, no matter how well-intentioned or benign, to the customer's data files and folders, you compromise, admittedly slightly, this principle.  Sometimes principles are important.

Thanks for this , I had begun to write my response to Chris, but yours is perfect. A big +1 to that. It's a bit the world upside down: We don't want to program all other clients to take it the Bryston way, (even if they could) we need Bryston to follow this principle and, if necessary, create a solution of its own in such a way it adheres to that.
User data in user folders , proprietary data in proprietary drive/folders.

Cheers Marius

Marius

« Reply #145 on: 5 Apr 2017, 09:11 pm »
HI Krutsch,

Please help me here, i thought i had Soundirok settled, but i was wrong... I have all my music organized in a logical folder structure, main usb drives  Classical, Pop, Jazz and MP3 (on a Nas). Soundirok mixes everything up, and sorts by artist or album...  Resulting for example in Schubert - 19 lieder showing up next to Adele - 19, imagine the horror of that ;-)
Is there a way of showing my music in the folder-logic?
Ive tried to click New Intelligent set to no avail. Nothing happens so thats no solution for now.

Hope you can shed some light.
Cheers,
Marius

NorthMac

« Reply #146 on: 5 Apr 2017, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for this , I had begun to write my response to Chris, but yours is perfect. A big +1 to that. It's a bit the world upside down: We don't want to program all other clients to take it the Bryston way, (even if they could) we need Bryston to follow this principle and, if necessary, create a solution of its own in such a way it adheres to that.
User data in user folders , proprietary data in proprietary drive/folders.

Cheers Marius

Ha - no worries Marius, it is about time that one of us helped you out!  You have served all owners well through your countless trials, questions, suggestions on the Bryston systems over the past few years; most of us lack the patience you clearly have to work out each new feature.  In contrast I am happy to "freeze" a system if it works for me (and to be fair Chris makes this quite clear in the MM manual - nobody is obligated to keep upgrading if they are happy with the current feature set).  I can tell people "Shhh, my BDP-1 thinks it is just a CD player...."

Krutsch

« Reply #147 on: 6 Apr 2017, 09:15 pm »
HI Krutsch,

Please help me here, i thought i had Soundirok settled, but i was wrong... I have all my music organized in a logical folder structure, main usb drives  Classical, Pop, Jazz and MP3 (on a Nas). Soundirok mixes everything up, and sorts by artist or album...  Resulting for example in Schubert - 19 lieder showing up next to Adele - 19, imagine the horror of that ;-)
Is there a way of showing my music in the folder-logic?
Ive tried to click New Intelligent set to no avail. Nothing happens so thats no solution for now.

Hope you can shed some light.
Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

You have a couple of choices, depending on how your audio files are tagged.

If you have added "genre" tags, then simply browse by "Genres" from the top-level (i.e. Library view, tapping on the notes icon). Then, you will only see your Classical or Jazz albums and then you can swipe to the artist or album you are looking to play.

If you do NOT have genre tags, then the "Intelligent Set" feature can help you. Create a new intelligent set with a "Path" rule, where the path contains, for example, the word "Classical", which will show only audio files in which some part of the path contains the word "Classical".

My files are obsessively tagged, but I also split my collection across a pair of USB thumb drives (Corsair GTX). I am constantly downloading/ripping new music (I am afraid to tally-up what I spend on new music :o ) and to keep track of what's new, I have a folder called: New Music.

Under New Music, I have Artist/Album sub-folders for the new stuff; over time, I move these albums into the main library folders.

With Soundirok, I've created an Intelligent Set called: "New Music" with a single rule; matching any audio files that have a Path component containing "New Music".

Let us know if you need more ideas on how to proceed with your collection.

Marius

« Reply #148 on: 7 Apr 2017, 07:05 am »
Great idea Krutsch, thanks.
Intelligent set based on a path rule. I will have to figure out how to go there, because when i click on New intelligent set, nothing seems to happen. (of course that's why i didn't figure that one out myself.... :D )

Tags I've never added, so i may have to rely on automatic tags when ripped or existing ones on downloads. Guess that won't be the solution to my issue.

I feel for your 'new music' approach. Thats why i asked Chris a long time ago if it were possible to have an automatic playlist based on most recently added files, which he made for us consequently :thumb: 
Ill try and see if this your approach won't be even better, though i always like to have my files where they belong based on category, and don't like to move them around too much. Have been reorganizing my cd's and lp's in the past too much for that.. As it stands now, i have all my libraries, virtual and in real life, organized the same way, which works best for me.

New intelligent sets might add to that, since one wouldnt have to reorganize the files themselves, only a descriptor of those files, and i am most certainly going to experiment with that.

Thanks! Cheers,Marius

Hi Marius,

You have a couple of choices, depending on how your audio files are tagged.

If you have added "genre" tags, then simply browse by "Genres" from the top-level (i.e. Library view, tapping on the notes icon). Then, you will only see your Classical or Jazz albums and then you can swipe to the artist or album you are looking to play.

If you do NOT have genre tags, then the "Intelligent Set" feature can help you. Create a new intelligent set with a "Path" rule, where the path contains, for example, the word "Classical", which will show only audio files in which some part of the path contains the word "Classical".

My files are obsessively tagged, but I also split my collection across a pair of USB thumb drives (Corsair GTX). I am constantly downloading/ripping new music (I am afraid to tally-up what I spend on new music :o ) and to keep track of what's new, I have a folder called: New Music.

Under New Music, I have Artist/Album sub-folders for the new stuff; over time, I move these albums into the main library folders.

With Soundirok, I've created an Intelligent Set called: "New Music" with a single rule; matching any audio files that have a Path component containing "New Music".

Let us know if you need more ideas on how to proceed with your collection.

XMAN

« Reply #149 on: 30 Apr 2017, 09:56 pm »
I can't seem to scroll through my library without a crash.   Soundirok just shuts down.  I'm running a first gen iPad mini with lots of available memory.  Any ideas?

Krutsch

« Reply #150 on: 30 Apr 2017, 11:25 pm »
I can't seem to scroll through my library without a crash.   Soundirok just shuts down.  I'm running a first gen iPad mini with lots of available memory.  Any ideas?

No idea, but you might try refreshing the Soundirok database and/or clearing the album art cache (same menu). Maybe re-fetching everything from scratch will fix something.

It's been solid for me, but YMMV.

XMAN

« Reply #151 on: 1 May 2017, 12:39 am »
No idea, but you might try refreshing the Soundirok database and/or clearing the album art cache (same menu). Maybe re-fetching everything from scratch will fix something.

It's been solid for me, but YMMV.

Ya i think i might reinstall it see how that goes its not usable the way it is thanks Krutsch.

XMAN

« Reply #152 on: 1 May 2017, 02:04 am »
so much for that working i guess my Ipad is tired.  Good thing MM works well.  Can't view my booklets tho

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #153 on: 1 May 2017, 12:35 pm »
so much for that working i guess my Ipad is tired.  Good thing MM works well.  Can't view my booklets tho

Hi XMAN

I have some issues as well at home - it loads OK but for the life of me I can not get album art to work. 

If it crashes I just close it and reopen it and it works OK other than no album art.

Now here's the weird part it works great at work.

james

XMAN

« Reply #154 on: 1 May 2017, 01:41 pm »
Hi XMAN

I have some issues as well at home - it loads OK but for the life of me I can not get album art to work. 

If it crashes I just close it and reopen it and it works OK other than no album art.

james

It's got to be the art files on your home unit do you have a jpg for every file?  Is the music selection bigger at home? Is it the same ipad you use at work?  My art loads but it takes forever to display and it struggles to scroll through the files.   

Krutsch

« Reply #155 on: 1 May 2017, 01:48 pm »
Hi XMAN

james

Hmm... that sounds like a Bonjour problem with the URL being used to access the remote artwork.

I am assuming you are using different machines (BDPs) with different setups within Soundirok (i.e. you are NOT using bryston-bdp-2.local for both instances in which case I would anticipate problems with Soundirok's cache).

In any case, try replacing the "bryston-bdp-2.local" part in the setup with the actual IP address which, hopefully, is being assigned a consistent value by the router based on the MAC address. See if that changes anything.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #156 on: 1 May 2017, 02:36 pm »
Hmm... that sounds like a Bonjour problem with the URL being used to access the remote artwork.

I am assuming you are using different machines (BDPs) with different setups within Soundirok (i.e. you are NOT using bryston-bdp-2.local for both instances in which case I would anticipate problems with Soundirok's cache).

In any case, try replacing the "bryston-bdp-2.local" part in the setup with the actual IP address which, hopefully, is being assigned a consistent value by the router based on the MAC address. See if that changes anything.

Hi

Yes I use the IP address at home as well as at work.

I use the IP address for both the BDP-3 I am using as well as Soundirok so maybe that's the issue at home.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #157 on: 4 May 2017, 09:39 pm »
Hi Daniel,

We’ve noticed Soundirok can hang while loading the MPD database and managed to narrow it down to a single file which is linked below and thought you’d like to know about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqzgltxyzko77aq/Soundirok.zip?dl=0

This file does have a ‘\’ as the last character of the artist tag which we think is the culprit

Cheers,

Chris

XMAN

« Reply #158 on: 6 May 2017, 03:20 am »
Hi Daniel,

We’ve noticed Soundirok can hang while loading the MPD database and managed to narrow it down to a single file which is linked below and thought you’d like to know about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqzgltxyzko77aq/Soundirok.zip?dl=0

This file does have a ‘\’ as the last character of the artist tag which we think is the culprit

Cheers,

Chris

This might be related to the problem i've been having.  An update just came in but still very slow to load art

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #159 on: 6 May 2017, 09:54 am »
Yes it solved my issue with getting album art but it does take some time to load initially.
Can't believe one file out of 40,000 caused the hangup. :duh:

james