BRIAN's SONG: It is with great sadness that I must post Brian Cheney has passed

John Casler

BRIAN's SONG
« Reply #40 on: 7 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm »
Brian (Big B) Cheney, whom I often called the "Sonic Sorcerer from El Sobrante", has passed.

I met Brian Cheney on the telephone back in 1992.  I purchased a pair of RM1 speakers, a 626R, and a HighBoy LARGER SUB.  I talked him into letting me be a dealer because I liked his ads in the back of AUDIO Magazine.  He seemed like he didn't like to talk on the phone.  : )

Later, I purchased a pair of RM-40 (Cherry Flambe!), a pair of 626R's and a Large Ribbon Center.  The sound was glorious, and I could play with all the adjustments and get it "just right" for my room and ears.  I spend hundreds of hours tweaking, moving, placing, converging and pinching, and enjoying every second, because it allowed me to see just how versatile these speakers were.  Everyone on Harmonic Dischord and later Audio Circle knew I was B's biggest cheerleader.

Brian was one of the Industry Icons of the 70's, like John Curl, James Bongiorno, Arnie Nudell, Saul Marantz, Jon Dahlquist, Bob Carver, James Whiney, John Dunleavy, and many other of the unique American audio artists and pioneers who painted a unique audio soundscape in our living rooms, dens and other rooms where we could squeeze their gear.  Most of these giants were friends and shared a camaraderie and respect with each other.  I remember at many of the CES and THE Show trips having dinner with some of the GREAT NAMES of the Industry.

Brian's speaker design approach was unique and even controversial at times.  He always used "minimum phase" 1st order XO's, a very unique driver blending, and most often an adjustable bass system with a Passive Radiator of which you could adjust the response by "pinching putty" mass to make the system distortion very low.

Later he fell in love with a type of Planar driver, that eventually became the NeoPanel, which was the heart and soul of the design.  It handled the majority of frequencies, and ultimately ran from 280Hz to 6.9Khz.  Many, if not most who heard them set up properly, fell in love with the sound.

Brian had one "prime directive" in his business and that was he LOVED IT when customers LOVED his Sound.  As most who know him and VMPS, know that he ALWAYS designed for the wonderful and glorious sound.  Each and every design he came up with (and many were different from each other) was always about making Glorious Music come alive in YOUR SPACE.  He certainly wasn't in it to make a million $$ and most felt the price performance was exceptional.

I would guess his most valued award was winning the "Best of Show" at CES for the RM40 back in 2002. In fact, I find it a fitting theme song that he used the song "My Heart Will Go On" by James Horner and sung by Celine Dion from the TITANIC Soundtrack. 

In fact, I would suggest and ask each of you, that a fitting tribute to Big B today, might be to play a bit of that very cut. If you don't have it you can click HERE   This track seems so fitting as his designs (his heart) will go on, and I think it could be considered  BRIAN'S SONG

Please enjoy your VMPS speakers as long as you can.  I know it would make Brian both Happy and Proud.

CLICK HERE for My Heart will go on

John Casler

Brian Cheney and Dolly

R_burke

Rest in peace, Brian.

I second the emotion

fredgarvin

RIP Mr. Cheney. You are sorely missed.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
I never knew Brian, but I knew his speakers were wonderful.

The song, "My Heart Will Go On" from the Titanic soundtrack is one I hear nearly every day as it is my first choice in evaluating our audio electronics.

From now on, I will listen to it as Brian's Song.

My sincere sympathy,

Frank Van Alstine

Scottdazzle

Brian Cheney was one of the giants of high end audio. Please tell the Cheney family that he will always be remembered by the AC community.

shauk786

I just heard the news while speaking to John today on the phone. It saddened me enormously to hear of his passing. The very first pairs of "audiophile" grade speakers I have ever bought are all from Brian. To this day they are among the best speakers I have ever listened to and are a tribute to Brian's genius. I have had the pleasure of meeting Brian and Shirley several times at shows and taking this opportunity to convey my condolences to the family.

Rest In Peace Brian.

John Casler

For those interested, I received this link from John Atkinson of STEREOPHILE.

CLICK HERE

Thanks John

Woodsea

I met Brian on my quest for speakers back in 2002.  I travelled from Columbus, Oh to listen to his speakers.  He took a cut from one of my CD's, it was an amazing presentation, and he really was quite the mad scientist.  In his own listening space, even then critiquing his own speakers.  I ended up purchasing an original sub, and then upgrading to the powered amp, and center channel.  At the same time bought a pair of lightly used 626r's.  They are still my main system.   I don't feed them as well as they should be, but they have never let me down.
Rest in peace, and know that your legacy lives on in many homes around the world.

warnerwh

This is very sad news. My condolences to his family. I will miss him.

PeteG

Yes, very sad indeed. RIP.

Rclark

I'm very sad about this. VMPS was a brand I intended to get into. Those wicked looking wedge shaped speakers with planar drivers up the middle... They must be incredible.

Those subwoofers just look incredible too, with the 12, then the 15, and the passive in what looks like a podium. I wanted to try them next. They were next on my list.

In fact, I still aim to buy a pair, I've heard WAY too many good things about what are sure to become legendary subwoofers.

RIP Brian Cheney. I'm glad you were able to have a family and that everyone loved you.

John Casler

Brian Cheney and Dolly

There is a bit of a "story" that goes along with this. (isn't there always?)

Brian was always tweaking and tinkering.  He would also try tweaks from his fans.  For some reason around this time he decided to put "lambs wool" in the box behind the Neopanels and tweeter, which became the TWEAK of the WEEK (actually from that time on)  he even offered it as an option when ordering.

Well at this SHOW he had the Lamb's Wool and "DOLLY the LAMB" was his puppet to talk about the tweak and why he liked it.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
very sad to hear.my prayers are with the family and friends. we have lost an icon and an example of what customer service should be. he was light years ahead of his time and i am glad to have known him and spoke to him.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
My condolences to the Cheney family.

R.I.P. Big B......thanks for your wit and wisdom.

hmen

Very sad news. I've owned VMPS speakers for about 10 years and always enjoyed talking to Brian. VMPS introduced me to AC and a whole world of audio. R.I.P.

tdangelo

Really sad news to hear  :(

doug s.

• makin' music
wow...  i have been off the forum for a while, and this is what i see when i log back on.   :cry:  a very sad day for audiophiles and music lovers.  i have owned a pair of brian's larger upright-style subs for almost twenty years now, (upgraded once), and they are still competitive w/the best out there...  as are his other full-range designs, which i have had the pleasure of hearing...

my sincerest condolences to brian's family and friends.  he was a great one...

doug s.

Pez

As an owner of the RM40s I can say honestly and sincerely VMPS has changed my life for the better. Proud to own these masterpiece speakers. Sad to hear of Brian's passing.

mjosef

Sad news indeed.
Condolences to Big B's remaining family on his passing.

First bought his Original subwoofer kit back in 1986(7) after the review in Stereophile (or Audio Mag.?), thought it was a bargain @ a few hundred $$. The funny thing is whenever I spoke to him on the phone, he always struck me as a tall gaunt framed person  :lol:... maybe it was his no frills phone manners, direct and to the point.
Today I own the QSO404, RM1 and 626R. Original Sub is still pulling duty in my HT system after going through the megawoofer upgrade and a new P/R. I see no reason to yearn after any other speaker since I can 'tune' my RM1 to sound like most other speakers.
He will be missed. A Life well lived.

[/img]
2009 The Show : Live/Demo VMPS room.