Biker Scum 2016

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Biker Scum 2016
« on: 3 Jan 2016, 01:59 pm »
Believe it or not, it's time for another year of Scumminess which pretty much comes naturally to me, I'm happy to say.
To kick things off, I ended 2015 with the Christmas Eve purchase of a 2006 Triumph Tiger

and I don't mind telling you, the traffic going into Yonkers, NY was just horrible.  I nearly turned around and said forget it but I'm glad that I persevered.  I really like this big monster, it's like a riding a really fast couch.

Then there was the post-Yule blahs.  Christmas is over, New Years is over, no paid holidays at work for a while, the Giants suck, I'm getting fat, what to do, what to do?
I know, spend 12 hours straight in a truck and go get a 2006 Triumph ST!
So I did.

Here's to Biker Scum 2016!  Anyone else joining in the festivities?

Guy 13

Re: Biker Scum 2016
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2016, 02:19 pm »
Congratulation Steve for your purchase, it's really, really nice bike.
However I must say that it's too big for me. (135lbs - 5'5'')
When I was young,
that's a long, long time ago,
I had at one time mi most powerfull bike a Honda CB360
and at that time I thought it was a BIG bike.
For the last 20 years on planet Vietnam I went around the crazy
Vietnamese traffic with a 110cc and I can tell you
that over there that's enough power to get you killed, almost did one time.
Well, I am happy for you,
enjoy and be carefull that's a lot of power under the hood,
sorry, under the gas tank.

Guy 13

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2016, 03:37 pm »

Here's to Biker Scum 2016!  Anyone else joining in the festivities?
[/quote]

Interesting.
Recently I actually sold my 1998 blue Tiger (Triple) for a fast recliner couch as well. 2008 Goldwing Navi Comfort.

Missed the lightweight commuter so flew out to Salt Lake City to drive this little NC700x toy home. (65mpg at 75 mph)

And a few weeks ago by complete accident on a trip to look at a wood splitter bought another company vehicle.

:lol: 1998 Pacific Coast.

Mated to this sleeper couch 2015 was a pretty sweet toy year!
Commuting to/from and on the job, canyon carving or cruising to the coast on the Pacific Coast.
Biker scum would be me.

Working 120 feet underground at a mission critical facility.

In my hotel room on the way there.

Quick stop for a conference call.

The above combos have now become my new company vehicle and take me all around the US doing projects.

And of course always have the Dr. John Guzzi LeMans for track days.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2016, 04:10 pm »
Biker Scum lives large!

Say, did you say Dr. John LeMans?  Got any pics?
I was the proud owner of a LeMans IV when Doug Brauneck won the Endurance Racing championship, those were great times.
Dr. John drills the competition...

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2016, 04:18 pm »
Got back on a scooter just this past fall after 25yr hiatus. Bike scum rules!!

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2016, 05:05 pm »
Biker Scum lives large!

Say, did you say Dr. John LeMans?  Got any pics?
I was the proud owner of a LeMans IV when Doug Brauneck won the Endurance Racing championship, those were great times.
Dr. John drills the competition...

Interesting adder.
Before I respond I once spent an afternoon in a BMW shop in MO and could not decide between the blue or black Triumph Tiger. It was getting ready for time to close and I still could not make up my mind. Pulled out my American Express and bought them both. Later I bought a red one so have had all three colors of the 900 triple. Love that motor BTW.

Yes
1984 LeMans IV SE. (Special Edition)
I need to find a decent electronic pic. It has been stored at my old lake home for 25 years. Long story but building a new lake home two hours away now. With no city home anymore two lake homes just makes more sense now.
FWIW SE was Famous for its red wheels with the lousy (highside) 16" front.
It was one of the "cave" Guzzis. Stored in Italian caves to hide inventory during one of their bankruptcies. I bought it in the crate direct from an importer in Italy. Red/white with the red BRICK flat seat. Quickest Corbin I ever bought.  :duh:
I went through a lot of carb/jetting mods over the years to get it to run. Staintune and BUB exhausts etc.
I did see a really nice one at Harpers MG over in Greenwood MO a few years ago. Randy up at Baxters in Nebraska could find one if anybody had to have one.
Interesting timing as I am in discussions to possibly trade it for a mint CBX with 17 miles and full factory sport tour setup.
Stay tuned.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2016, 05:06 am »
I have had some special cases made to carry some of my trap shooting guns so that I can start hitting meets as I travel around the states on my scum bag motorcycles. And carrying 1000 12 guage shells has created some fun for sure.
Now if I could fit my Taylor Made golf clubs I would be simply amazin.  :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2016, 10:30 pm »
tabrink, if ever you find yourself over here at St Louis Trap and Skeet, let me know. They've got a decent little sporting clay's course on the west side of the traps. I'd love to run through a few boxes of shells with you. I live about 3 miles from there.

As for the Biker Scum, I'm just a part timer anymore. Often, when we do destination vacations, I'll rent a bike rather than a car. A couple of years ago we did that down in Phoenix. After a conference, we spent about five days just exploring the city, countryside and the mountains on a Goldwing...which we both loved BTW

This past winter, we went and warmed up down in Key West. I rented another bike. This time a Street Glide. I sorta look at Harley's as the "Hot Rods" of the biker world. They are noisy, obnoxious, don't ride or handle all that great, but they are fun to ride. Sorta like driving my '65 F100 hot rod. :thumb:

We're headed back down there again in a few weeks for the winter warm up. I might just rent another  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2016, 12:41 pm »
Nice rides, you guys are making me miss my early 90's GSXR 1100's!

The local weather however, is not.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:24 am »
It looks like the wife and I are taking quite the trip this year:
fly to California, buy a 2004 Triumph Sprint and then ride across California into Arizona and New Mexico to have a look around and see where we're going to retire to.  The idea is to find a spot that is not too expensive, not too scorching hot and not freezing cold.  We'll see.
She kept saying rental car this, rental car that but please, this is a Biker Scum Trip, no rental cars allowed.
The logistics still have to be worked out but this should be quite the adventure so I'm really excited about this one!
Here's a pic of the bike which we'll be doing it on if anyone is interested:

Does anyone know what kind of car that is in the background?  I'm not a car guy so I have no idea but it looks exotic.

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:33 am »
Looks like a Mustang.

Your trip sounds like a blast!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:55 am »
Okay, maybe NOT so exotic...
This idea has been percolating in my head for a few months now and today I decided to get off the pot and start putting it into action.  I'd better do this stuff while I'm still above ground and we're not getting any younger. 

DogsPart2

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2016, 03:57 pm »
My 2013 Softail Deluxe.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2016, 04:17 pm »
Well it all started off innocent enough. Was feeling better recovering from an auto accident (cars are just too dangerous for me) so decided to fly out to Denver for a visit with my daughters. Great visit, good food and fun. Decided to take a walk and work off lunch one day and wait..that looks like a Polaris Victory dealer over there.

Well 2700 miles, ahem 9 days late home , 50 assorted bass, crappie, and aprox 800 clay targets later made it home to her dreaded  "raised eyebrows".
Well at least the Goldwing, Guzzi, Pacific Coast and NC700x missed me. Might add that the cot out here in the garage really ain't that bad.. 8)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2016, 09:10 pm »
Living in the garage gives you more time to detail your bikes and take care of routine maintenance and perform performance upgrades.
Stick a stereo and fridge out there and you should be good to go.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2016, 10:42 pm »
In the 80s (19, not 18) a pro machinist/one of my best friends at work named Roger Castange (RIP), owned this bike, a stock pristine fully restored Guzzi V7 Sport, original light metallic green, one of the most beautiful and symmetrically correct bikes extant, IMHO.  For years he left it parked at work, where I saw it every day:
Courtesy Yesterday's Antique Motorcycles:

He was a bike/auto collector.  Among his stable was a stock fully restored Norton 750 John Player Special:

Also an old Lincoln 12-cylinder, last year '76 Porsche 912 (911 body w/flat four), late 60s/early 70s 454 Corvette, two MGB TC (one stock, one w/a built Volvo I-4 he installed), Honda Turbo 650 (gorgeous full fairing), new '84 Yamaha Virago 1000, new '83 HD FXRS, new '83 Yamaha Vision full fairing w/cool/warm leg vents (of about 70 bikes I owned my all time favorite tied w/'00 BMW R1150GS), 81 Honda VF750S Sabre, that cool/rare/costly Citroen sport-luxury sedan (DM?), etc, etc.

His every day ride was the Sabre or Vision.  When he drove a car (almost never), it was his daughter's orange Datsun B-210.  An orange Datsun B-210.   

He had so many vehicles, even owning an apartment building, he ran out of parking space.  So he borrowed parking space from his buds/co-workers.  Co-workers laughed at him for not knowing how many vehicles he owned.

I don't think he actually knew.   

Once I visited Roger's apartment in the building he owned (estimated current value $20M).  He spent most of his time at work and/or socializing, not home much.  Almost nothing in the apartment except a stunning black grand piano w/a sheet over it, the only furniture he got from the divorce.  The only light in the room was one bulb hanging from a chain.  He got the mail, and pulled the light on.  He slowly opened the PG&E bill, read it aloud, and then showed me the bill to read myself:

"The minimum monthly bill for your use is $2.00.  Your bill is..................................... ......$2.00." 

To call Roger a wonderful and generous eccentric is an understatement. 

Dmason

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2016, 01:51 am »

Dmason

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2016, 02:05 am »
Ooops... 2015 KTM 390 Duke.  This is the proper tool to use for pulling a wheelie past the police station. No self respecting cop would pull you over, with this..

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2016, 11:40 pm »
Good to see Biker Scumminess is alive and well this year.  You just can't beat popping a wheelie in front of a police station!

Never had a John Player Replica (74 850, if memory serves me well) but I did own two V7 Sports back in the 90s. 
I managed to get that front drum totally water logged on the '73 Sport and the lever went right to the bar and I shot through a stop sign and into an intersection.  I got lucky there, no traffic.
The '74 Sport had two discs but was too pristine to ride (of all things).  That one went to Simone Pace of the band Blonde Redhead.  He's quite the talented drummer and Guzzi nut.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2016, 10:53 pm »
Well my beautiful Vision is no more. It fell victim to someone's poor driving error. Me just home from 6 weeks stay in two hospitals (fractures..pelvis, wrists, shoulders) and on  still in a wheelchair.
Looks like a about 4-6 more weeks before walking  and getting back to better all round health. All in all just looking forward to cutting the grass and taking out the trash.
Worst accident in nearly 50 years of being a scumbag biker. Hopefully my last.

Well it all started off innocent enough. Was feeling better recovering from an auto accident (cars are just too dangerous for me) so decided to fly out to Denver for a visit with my daughters. Great visit, good food and fun. Decided to take a walk and work off lunch one day and wait..that looks like a Polaris Victory dealer over there.

Well 2700 miles, ahem 9 days late home , 50 assorted bass, crappie, and aprox 800 clay targets later made it home to her dreaded  "raised eyebrows".
Well at least the Goldwing, Guzzi, Pacific Coast and NC700x missed me. Might add that the cot out here in the garage really ain't that bad.. 8)