Sapphire XL problem - rattling sound from inside

Jayman

Sapphire XL problem - rattling sound from inside
« on: 21 Apr 2011, 11:44 am »
One of my Sapphire XL's is producing a rattling sound from inside the enclosure. I have narrowed it down I believe to somewhere behind the binding posts, i.e. probably something on the crossover board has come loose.

I am living in China and it's not realistic to send it back for repairs.

Question: Am I voiding any kind of warranty by cracking open the back screws and locating the source of the rattling? Anything special I need to be careful of in opening this baby up?

I assembled one of the Sapphire IIe's back in the day but I don't have any schematics for the XL...

Thanks for your advice!

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Re: Sapphire XL problem - rattling sound from inside
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2011, 03:35 pm »
Does the rattling occur with music or only if you shake the cabinet?

There's no real trick to opening the cabinet. Since the sound seems near the cabinet rear, I'd just pull the binding post plate. If you remove the screws, it will come out pretty easily. There is a foam gasket tape between it and the cabinet.

Jayman

Re: Sapphire XL problem - rattling sound from inside
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2011, 12:02 am »
Hi Mike,

Just the man I was hoping would reply to this one.

The rattling only occurs when playing music and is only obvious on certain types of music, but the rattling is quite obvious when it does come through. I have not moved the speaker nor shaken it at all so I don't know if it would make rattling noises if I did.

Either way, it sounds like the removal of the plate is straight forward enough so I will go ahead with that and let you know what I find.

Thanks, Mike, for the quick reply!