Need some advice or recommendations for 1st discless system

rtate

So I finally think I'm going to be able to set up my 2 channel system and I would like it to be discless for the most part. Here's what I am thinking but I'm not sure if it will work...
I was going to get something like a chromebox M400U which has a 1.4 GHz Intel Celeron 2955U Processor.
For an operating system I want to use openelec which I would put a player like LMS(which I currently use with my SB3) or JRiver. I would then get a usb dac like the ifi iDSD to feed my integrated amp.
I am very interested in exploring hi-rez and dsd  music   :).  My current  music collection is on a external hard drive consisting of a mix of flac and mp3 files.
Also I would like to use something like xbmc/kodi to stream internet radio and youtube stuff with video to a monitor via hdmi.
What I am unsure of is will I be able to send video via hdmi and audio via usb simultaneously ?
And will I be able to use an os like openelec for JRiver or LMS or do I need to go to a windows based system?
Will openelec work with something like the ifi iDSD dac ?
Also is the chromebox a good choice or is there a better hardware solution?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post    :green:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Need some advice or recommendations for 1st discless system
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2015, 02:49 am »
Seems like you'd want more horsepower for video.

On the other hand I suspect that you havent gotten more replies on the Linux questions because most of us simply don't know. A quick internet search shows that LMS & JRMC support the more common Linux distributions of Debian and Ubuntu, but don't have a direct answer re openelec.

Id check with tech support of the DAC manufacturers your interested in about any driver issues with Linux (or if they are even needed).

Re: audio over hdmi and USB simultaneously I imagine you'd have to choose one or the other - at least that's how it works with Linux based OSX (Mac). But I'm speculating here.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2015, 03:41 am »
I've been told that to run OpenELEC on a Chromebox you need to flash a new BIOS. What specifically that means I'm not sure but you could look into it.

I haven't used Kodi much but you select the audio output device from within the UI, I don't think there's a way to have multiple audio output devices at the same time. You could download the computer version and try it out.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2015, 03:57 am »
Bios is a table of computers hardware devices erst in assembler.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2015, 05:02 am by FullRangeMan »

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2015, 11:29 am »
I held off responding as the addition of video means what I know about small Linux audio devices is less useful. 

I run a Linux box just for video, and another just for audio.  I have no desire to combine the systems. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2015, 12:48 pm »
First system??  Very ambitious. 

Hope you have lots of expertise and patience.  I'm a computer dunce, just converting over from an iMac/iTunes via $6 35 ft optical (without any glitches) to a MacBook/iTunes via USB, and am having problems with the USB connection (no connection as per computers or intermittent dropouts that last one second to indefinitely long).  Apple doesn't have answers and either does the president/owner of one of the company that made one of the cables I'm comparing.  After trying everything I and the experts could think of am hearing a great deal of "shouldn't" or "could be".  By the way, the cables that are working the best so far are Blue Jean ($2.50 6 ft and $3.50 15 ft).  Waiting for another 4 USB cables to arrive and will then try to post some sort of comparison.

(Putting on my old fart hat):  Back when I got (not very far) into computers the Apollo moon program had just wrapped up.  That was done with the most rudimentary of computers, but they understood the computers and never gave the astronauts answers like "shouldn't" or "could be".  Back then products were only released when they worked, no beta testing or new versions every few weeks/months.  Nowadays we're no better than rats in such a hurry slamming our heads into the walls of the maze we made, solving problems by trial and error or just swapping parts, because we really don't understand what we've created.  Sarah Brightman (soprano) just backed out of a $33M trip to the international space station (smart).  Rant off.

rtate

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2015, 12:57 pm »
So maybe what I'm tryin to do isn't possible   :(
I would like to listen to my hard drive based music collection connected to a dac via usb out to a 2 channel integrated amp probably 80% of the time using some sort of computer server be it a chromebox, laptop or desktop pc using either windows/linux or any other OS.
But would like to also have the option to watch a concert dvd also stored on a hard drive with the video going to a monitor/tv over hdmi while at the same time still having the audio going through the usb>dac>integrated amp.

Is there not a way to accomplish this ??

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2015, 03:59 pm »
I think what you want to do can be done by a number of media server type small format Linux or Android boxes.

I have a WD unit that can do what you describe.  But I used it only for video media.

One issue may be that for remote control, you may need to have the TV on to "see" your music collection through the media player to your HD.  You may also not love the remote interface for that.

I would imagine a PC or Mac running XBMC could do what you want, but again many would require the TV to be on to select tunes or movies to play.

GentleBender

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2015, 04:19 pm »
Why not check out this thread? http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132891.msg1429238#new It is for audio only, but no reason you couldn't pick up two Raspberry Pi's and dedicate one for audio and one for video. They are cheap enough...

rtate

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2015, 07:26 pm »
I have read that thread and it does sound interesting but I am unsure of 2 things

1)I don't know if openelec will support the dac I have just purchased ( ifi nano idsd)
I spoke with an ifi sales rep and he said Linux supports the dac but was unsure about OE specifically.

2)I do want to use Kodi but I can't figure out if it will play hi-rez/dsd, hence the need for LMS or JRiver
I have ask over at the Kodi forums but have not had much luck with answers...

If the pi and Kodi will work then that seems like a great solution

GentleBender

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2015, 08:50 pm »
Maybe this? http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/638-geek-speak-raspberry-pi-hifi-here/ I'm still spinning vinyl, but I'm sure I'll be checking into this one day.

whell

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2015, 04:39 pm »
I would like to listen to my hard drive based music collection connected to a dac via usb out to a 2 channel integrated amp probably 80% of the time using some sort of computer server be it a chromebox, laptop or desktop pc using either windows/linux or any other OS.
But would like to also have the option to watch a concert dvd also stored on a hard drive with the video going to a monitor/tv over hdmi while at the same time still having the audio going through the usb>dac>integrated amp.

Sure its possible.  That's how my system is currently set up.  I've got an old beater HP laptop with USB and HDMI outputs running Ubuntu Studio.  The laptop is connected to the network.  The router has a couple of USB external hard drives attached to it: one for music and the other fo video.  The laptop runs MPD so I can control the music playback from my listening chair, and outputs to a USB DAC, which is them connected to my stereo system.  The HDMI output feeds the TV.  I watch movies or concert videos using VLC or stream video from Amazon Prime Video, and the audio output also feeds into the DAC.

whell

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2015, 04:45 pm »
I have read that thread and it does sound interesting but I am unsure of 2 things

1)I don't know if openelec will support the dac I have just purchased ( ifi nano idsd)
I spoke with an ifi sales rep and he said Linux supports the dac but was unsure about OE specifically.

2)I do want to use Kodi but I can't figure out if it will play hi-rez/dsd, hence the need for LMS or JRiver
I have ask over at the Kodi forums but have not had much luck with answers...

If the pi and Kodi will work then that seems like a great solution

1. Yes, the ifi nano will have no issues with Linux. 

2. DSD support was added in Kodi 14.

rtate

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2015, 10:12 pm »
Thanks whell !
So it sounds like kodi will do everything I need at this point !!
I have found a zotac box that comes pre loaded with widows 8.1 that may be the perfect fit for me.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/zotac-zbox-bi320-intel-2957u-18-101674.htm

Odal3

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2015, 02:38 am »
If you have little bit skills to dabble with computers, I would definitely explore the raspberry pi 2 option - Hard to go wrong with $35 for the mini-computer plus a little bit more for a case and stuff. It's perhaps not as good as one of the audiophile media streamers for $$$, but it is surprisingly good for the money. Did I mention it is silent? Definitely check out the link that GentleBender linked to computeraudiophile for instructions for setting up Volumio which is based on MPD. Here's the direct link to the Volumio's webpage: www.volumio.com

I'm also using a Raspberry pi2 for KODI (but I'm using OSMC which is a specific Kodi distribution for raspberry pi2). Kodi let's you chose DAC at least with raspberry pi, but in my experience the audio via KODI is not as good as a pure audio solution such as any of the MPD based solutions.

BTW: if you have an old computer, you can install many of the linux based solutions for free to get a feel for how they work (some even comes with live version so you can run it off USB without installation for trial). Audio on linux is good, but needs a bit work to get going (but that is also true for setting up routers and network solutions for windows solutions)

vonnie123

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2015, 07:08 am »

JRiver Id.  Around $400.  ipad controlled song selection.  USB and HDMI outs (selectable via your network). Can be used as server or renderer.  Info available over on the JRiver forums.  One sweet little device - Linux based NUC.  Had mine several weeks - love it.