Found a pair of G3's...

B3Nut

Found a pair of G3's...
« on: 11 Jul 2013, 10:20 pm »
Stumbled across a pair of G3's the other day at a pawn shop in Madison (WI)...didn't know what they were at first but I recognized the Vifa tweeter and saw the logo on the grilles, so I googled them the next morning. Found a review in an old issue of The Audio Critic which piqued my interest. Went back and made sure the drivers worked, and snagged them for $80. I imagine these were a kit, the binding posts are  reversed on one of them, my first connection attempt resulted in one being out of phase and the sensation of something trying to vacuum the brains out of my head. ;-) Corrected the phase, and started listening. Quite a pleasant loudspeaker overall...

I noticed the foam in the midrange chamber appears to be getting crumbly and some of it has been poked into in the rear ports...is there a preferred foam for replacing it, or is something like Acousta-Stuf a better choice today? I plan on refinishing them (the veneer is in good condition but dry, almost devoid of any finish) and I'd like to make sure they're 100% internally as well. The felt rings on the tweeters are still there and the drivers and grilles are in excellent shape. My previous main speakers were the Ed Frias-designed AR.com 2-way monitors Madisound used to sell as a kit...Peerless drivers.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Re: Found a pair of G3's...
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2013, 01:54 pm »
Hi Todd, sounds like you got a great deal!
I would pull the old foam and replace it with new. One option would be the dacron they sell in fabric stores to stuff pillows. Anything of similar density will work fine. Enjoy!

B3Nut

Re: Found a pair of G3's...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2013, 10:41 am »
Excellent, I'll restuff the mid chambers when I refinish them. Definite keepers.

Thanks Mike!

Todd