"Scotty, we need more power"

HAL

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #101 on: 10 Jun 2016, 07:07 pm »
 :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #102 on: 11 Jun 2016, 02:56 am »
Igor, throw the switch, NO not that switch, the other one!

BUZZ, HUMMMM, WHIRRR, ZAAAPPPPP...  They're alive, THEY'RE ALIVE!   MUAHA MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

The Megaliths live!  Now on to the measurements.

Had my friends Avoosl and Charlie over for beer brats, beer and help with the wiring and connection of the speaker.  Lots more to do, but stage one is complete with a vengeance!   :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #103 on: 11 Jun 2016, 04:11 am »
First set of REW measurements showed a few problems so corrected them.  Response sounded better.

Then ran a first cut at MathAudio Room EQ.  It got a lot better!   :o

Now for some other tweaks.  Still think I need some tweeters, but will be fine until someone can get them!

richidoo

« Reply #104 on: 11 Jun 2016, 04:19 am »
Good, better, best! You're getting there! Won't be long now.

Awesome job Rich!    :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #105 on: 11 Jun 2016, 07:30 am »
Look like you did not feed your friend(s) too much beer,
according to the picture, they are still standing up.  :lol:
Always better to do things with help of others,
prefeerably friend(s) and someone that knows a little about what youre doing.  :thumb:
Soooo, the next post will show the final result ????

Guy 13

HAL

« Reply #106 on: 11 Jun 2016, 09:50 am »
Guy13,
The next post will be the state of the speakers with just the BG Neo10 planars.  Will post some REW plots for this state of the speakers.

From listening last night with Room EQ, probably think that a line array of planar tweeters is needed, even though the corrected line of Neo10's is very good.  Still a lot of things to try.  This will be an ongoing project for sometime. 

steve in jersey

« Reply #107 on: 11 Jun 2016, 01:48 pm »
He,he,he....  I don't know how many of you remember Bugs Bunny , but I had a "Bugs moment" this morning

Bugs was known for saying "What a maroon" (rather than "moron"). That's what I said to myself when , I realized that this thread was not from the HAL  (Herbies Audio Lab) I'm familiar with , but Hollis Audio. Here I am thinking "Interesting... Herbies has branched into speaker builds".

I suppose I could've just kept this to myself, but where's the fun in that ? So yes, I was letting my "maroon" self show through ( at least it was slightly better than the average "senior moments" I seem to have occasionally )

HAL

« Reply #108 on: 11 Jun 2016, 02:41 pm »
 :lol:

HAL

« Reply #109 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:34 am »
Well did a farfield measurement at the listening chair last night of the 6x12 H-Frame servo subs and looks like anywhere from 150Hz to 300Hz look good to crossover to the Neo10's in the open baffle.  Today will measure the Neo10's and see a good crossover point that does not stress the drivers. 

If it is possible to use an 8 pole Linkwitz-Reilly crossover at 150-200Hz for both of the driver arrays, that will be a possibility.  If either has roll-off, then using different filters for both sides can still get the overall L-R alignment for flat response through the crossover frequency range.  This also helps with LF power handling for the Neo10's. 

There are four different time delays with the number of channels I have available.  Three for the Neo10 array and one for the sub to open baffle time alignment.  Since each time delay step equates to 0.071" of distance offset, pretty easy to dial in the delays needed. 

And all of this with no linear phase filters in use for the digital crossover or DAC's. 

HAL

« Reply #110 on: 13 Jun 2016, 07:29 pm »
Next batch of four TWL HAL-1 AC power cables arrived.  Second box of four comes tomorrow. 

The wonders of USPS.

HAL

« Reply #111 on: 14 Jun 2016, 10:37 am »
My friend Charlie just dubbed my listening room floor the largest breadboard in the world.  Now that is a fun idea!  :D

Second set of TWL HAL AC cables arrive today to run the amps.  More measurements with the planars and choose a new digital crossover topology to try.

Will be very interesting listening to the Steinway Grand Piano HiRez recording on The Megaliths to see what sense of instrument scale it can create.

Not many times in my life will I get to say I am listening to a classical recording I made with a stereo system I made in the listening room I designed.  I think that might just be a bucket list item checked off! 

HAL

« Reply #112 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:43 am »
Made measurements and did some crossover changes.  Measurements were better, so tomorrow will make a few more adjustments before another listening session.

Hopefully the last set of TWL HAL AC cables make it tomorrow.  Seems USPS misplaced them and possibly going to the wrong place.  Will see what happens.   :(

Guy 13

« Reply #113 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:47 am »
Made measurements and did some crossover changes.  Measurements were better, so tomorrow will make a few more adjustments before another listening session.

Hopefully the last set of TWL HAL AC cables make it tomorrow.  Seems USPS misplaced them and possibly going to the wrong place.  Will see what happens.   :(

USPS... Such a big organization,
probably everything is computerized
and they keep loosing stuff day afte rday...  :nono: :duh:
Please don't forget to post pictures when everything is set up
and cleaned.

HAL

« Reply #114 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:15 am »
There will be no cleaning!  :nono:

It is a lab.  I will just call it the worlds largest breadboard instead of a floor!  :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #115 on: 16 Jun 2016, 01:22 am »
And now for a proper video introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t99WjRi7T4

jseipp

« Reply #116 on: 16 Jun 2016, 01:47 am »
Well done!!!!

jseipp

« Reply #117 on: 16 Jun 2016, 01:47 am »
Wish I were there....

HAL

« Reply #118 on: 16 Jun 2016, 01:50 am »
Thanks!

Been a long time in work!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #119 on: 16 Jun 2016, 01:54 am »
They're sooooo Megalithic.

Gotta love your lab, too, mad scientist!