What to upgrade next?

Gzerro

Re: What to upgrade next?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2012, 04:51 pm »
+1
Further out and further apart will open up the soundstage quite a bit.  Inexpensive furniture sliders work great for easily moving them around.

+2. I would:

1) Close the curtains. Consider some thicker insulating curtains behind the real ones.
2) Swap the  positions of the sub and left speaker, and if possible move the right speaker an equivalent amount to the right (not sure what to do about that chair).
3) If the is a way to block between the fireplace and sitting position (wood stacked to the right of the fireplace? Big Plant?) that may help. That is a big piece of reflective glass right at the point of first reflection and you have no reflections coming from the other side due to the opening. This could cause an imbalance which may sound "sound effecty" as you described.

The main thing is to experiment one thing at a time and give things time to get used to. Its easy to try too much and go in circles chasing a solution.

mick wolfe

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2012, 05:22 pm »
The front wall ( behind the speakers) begs for sound absorbing panels ( 12-16 sq. ft. should yield a nice improvement)). As others have said already, separate the ST's  further apart and bring them into the room a bit. Experiment with various toe-in set-ups.  I've always liked a radical toe-in approach with the speaker axis crossing a foot or two in front of the listening position.....but that's just me.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2012, 08:25 pm »
I would experiment with your subwoofer placement -Move the chair more under the archway and spread the speakers out.
Place the subwoofer between either the left or right speaker or perhaps to the right  side of the chair.

This is all WAF dependant, have her listen to both setups - music and a movie

Once she hears the difference, then you have acquired step one

Then go out and spend your money on a nice plasma for the wall, and all will be content!

She will appreciate your choices, be happy with the placement and more on board with your next audio purchases!

I'd go for the amp next

mick wolfe

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:24 pm »
Love the wall mount flatscreen idea. I friend mounted a 55" LED on his front wall with speakers into the room about 4' from the same wall. He flanks the LED with sound absorbing panels top and sides. Looks great and sound is top notch. He happens to have Rythmik subs as well.

Austin08

« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm »
How about switching your lay out a bit. A big flat screen on top of fireplace and speaker on either side. (infront  of the buil-in book case and at The corners.  Your sub will be either next to one of your speaker or next to your stereo cabinet. Your sofa will be switched to face direct  to your fireplace.  :thumb:

jackmonkeyhat

« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2012, 03:39 am »
Thanks all! Plenty of very helpful suggestions.

I'll def try the curtains and move the sub and speakers positions. I wish I could move things round more but have to kid proof things. Kids seem to love cables.

For acoustic panels, is ATS the best option http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS-Suede-Acoustic-Panels--109.html or are you using something else?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:39 am »
+1
Further out and further apart will open up the soundstage quite a bit.  Inexpensive furniture sliders work great for easily moving them around.
:thumb:

Gzerro

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2012, 03:07 pm »

I'll def try the curtains and move the sub and speakers positions. I wish I could move things round more but have to kid proof things. Kids seem to love cables.

For acoustic panels, is ATS the best option http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS-Suede-Acoustic-Panels--109.html or are you using something else?

GIK Acoustics has a circle here. I have a couple of their products, 4" wall panels and a couple bass traps. They also sell supplies for DIY types. I would highly recommend you give them a call and point them to this thread. In my experience they were very helpful and patient with no hard sell.

You can find them here:

http://gikacoustics.com/

or their circle is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=183

They even show some Salk Soundscapes on their home page picture rotation!

mick wolfe

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:55 pm »

The friend I mentioned above and I have both used ATS absorbing panels with great success. Although there are many options out there, we found their prices to be very reasonable. ( the 2x2 panels offering the best value) Build quality/appearance is also easily
above average as well.

jackmonkeyhat

« Reply #29 on: 25 Dec 2012, 05:57 am »
Well, you guys must know your stuff! I shuffled things around, and my Dad spent the evening glued to Buck Owens songs, telling me to listen to the guitars   :thumb:

Will update thread when I have next steps on sound treatment. Thanks all, and have a happy Christmas

dap7777

« Reply #30 on: 27 Dec 2012, 04:23 am »
At least two comments singled out your amp, the Emotiva XPA-2, as a likely weak link.  I would like to know, as an owner of that very amp, what empirical basis those folks have to offer in support of their contention.  Other than that it only costs 700 or 800 dollars.  I mean, is that it?  I ask because if there is a reasonable basis to believe the amp sucks, then I would probably begin a search for a suitable replacement.   It certainly sounds good to me, but then again a person who has only drunk beer his whole life can't know what single malt whiskey tastes like.  Thank you.

Nuance

« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:38 am »
Well, you guys must know your stuff! I shuffled things around, and my Dad spent the evening glued to Buck Owens songs, telling me to listen to the guitars   :thumb:

Will update thread when I have next steps on sound treatment. Thanks all, and have a happy Christmas
Pictures of the changes please! I'm a sucker for all Salk speaker pics. :)