Digital / Analogue Equipment Dilemma

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Digital / Analogue Equipment Dilemma
« on: 15 Apr 2014, 02:19 pm »
Have you ever wondered if you may at times, put too much thought into a future audio purchase? It would seem that this is the situation that I find myself in once again and must admit that it can be a most frustrating experience as my turntable acquisition journey begins yet again.

As my current CD collection numbers in the thousands, my music library is still "wanting" as many of the earlier bands of my favourite music genre were only released on vinyl. The concern is how much use will a turntable see on my audio rack and what should be budgeted for said purchase? At first, a price point in and around the list price of the X-05 was considered from the beginning, but a few issues quickly emerged. When the auditioning of turntables started, I could not help but feel that they were "alive" (yes anthropomorphizing once again) as you could actually see the mechanics of the music being created - no comparison to the cold aesthetics of a CD player. Perhaps I am also somewhat shallow - it seems as turntables go up in price point, their aesthetics also improve and this is also important just as performance is.

Not wishing to visit the "what sounds better argument," suffice it to say that digital and analogue sound different. So what happens if I enjoy the different sound of analogue compared to digital and end up using a turntable much more than anticipated and begin to "what-if" my equipment purchase decision. On the other side of the coin, "what-if" I only use a turntable once in a blue moon and get depressed on what was spent on the turntable :duh:.

So for individuals whom added a turntable to the rack, what was your consideration on the model you purchased and did your music format appreciation change in anyway?

Be well...

werd

Re: Digital / Analogue Equipment Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2014, 05:01 pm »
What about storage? Storing LPs is a royal pita. That is why vinyl is of no interest to me. I can't be bothered making room for vinyl. How much vinyl do you have now?

Laundrew

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2014, 08:08 pm »
What about storage? Storing LPs is a royal pita. That is why vinyl is of no interest to me. I can't be bothered making room for vinyl. How much vinyl do you have now?

Hello werd  :D

Perhaps 100 or so LPs in my current collection at this time. I arrived at a "stealth," in-storage solution for up to 250 albums in my room and when this is combined with a current storage space of 1300 CDs, all of my favourite music will be readily at hand. My mainstream vinyl will be stored with its CD counterparts in our utility room's walk in closet with space for 700 LPS and perhaps 3000 CDs. I will also have the record cleaner setup in the utility room. Getting into vinyl a little backwards here - records, record cleaning machine, phono stage and then the turntable  :lol:

Be well...

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2014, 10:40 pm »

Same here - I got rid of my vinyl many moons ago for that reason.  While I had hundreds of records, I only had about 40 in really good shape (and of good quality such as MoFis) as many were older and played on poor equipment.  I just moved from the DC area to FL and as it is I'm having trouble adjusting to general storage space (like a basement in the old place).  I would simply have no room for vinyl.

Gzerro

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2014, 10:52 pm »
So for individuals whom added a turntable to the rack, what was your consideration on the model you purchased and did your music format appreciation change in anyway?

Be well...

A couple of years ago I added a turntable to my system. I had very little vinyl at the time (leftover from my high school days).

I honestly can't remember the last time I used my digital system for anything but "background". Serious listening is 100% vinyl. I am not sure why, but vinyl holds my attention in a way digital never did.

For the turntable I went used, simple and easy to resell (VPI Scout). That way if I found I didn't enjoy it I could recover the investment.

Good luck on your journey whatever you decide.

Robert D

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm »
Laundrew, I Hear you buddy
1) My wife knew that I had my eye on the Oracle Mark IV TT used along with a Bryston BP 1.5 used @ Sons Ideal here in Montreal. Long story short, for my 50th B-Day my wife went out and purchased the Combo from Claude @ Sons Ideal.
I do not have a very large record collection maybe 75 records but bottom line is ... the sound what your ears in my words want to hear. I don't listen to my records often but when I do it's just magic...  I need to purchase a record cleaner one of these days..
2)I have around 1200 Cd's or more not don't have time to count . And Yes I still listen to them on my BCD-1.... BCD-1 is connected 2 ways SPDIF to BDA-2 as well . XLR's out to Balanced 1 of BP26 ... and then again a different sound to The
Oracle ....
3)BDP-1 .. Yes I have one of those as well .... All of my CD's are ripped ....and it's like having all of your Cd's in the palm of your hand... I have a computer as well a Ipad .... And then again another Type of sound . Clean. Smooth.
4) To me it all depends on my moods... What I want to hear . How I want to hear it .And How I want to play it.
It's as easy as that .
5) Me I say do what your heart tells you to do. Money is only Money yes we all work hard for it. But we spend it on the better things in life... If it's our Dogs, if it's our Homes... Cars or even or Music....

I have been very busy
Sorry for not posting
Let us know how your Venture turns out
Best regards Robert

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2014, 01:50 pm »
Laundrew,

I can let you get a taste without buying first.  I can lend you a Basis 1200 with Rega arm if you pay shipping. It should be better than the intro level.  I only have LOMC carts.  You may have to get a cart to match your phono stage.

Laundrew

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm »
Laundrew,

I can let you get a taste without buying first.  I can lend you a Basis 1200 with Rega arm if you pay shipping. It should be better than the intro level.  I only have LOMC carts.  You may have to get a cart to match your phono stage.

Greetings woodsyi  :D

Thank you for your most kind offer but as totally new to vinyl, all I have are albums. Looking at purchasing a record cleaner, phono stage/cables and then TT in this order.

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm »
"...5) Me I say do what your heart tells you to do. Money is only Money yes we all work hard for it. But we spend it on the better things in life... If it's our Dogs, if it's our Homes... Cars or even or Music…."

Well said Robert  :thumb:

Would it be alright to pass my Birthday and wish list to your most awesome wife?  :D

Be well...

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2014, 08:48 pm »
I replace my DD TT with a clearaudio concept MC,it was my second concept TT the first was a MM TT

I use a BP-25MM MC preamp with my 3bsst

I use this TT because it comes plug and play,I am not good with setup of such TT`s,so plug and play works great for me

For digital playback I use oppo 105 ,balance out to preamp

Have over 1k in albums and about the same in digital content

I am 50 plus,hearing not as it was years earlier so vinyl sounds so good to me

Austin08

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2014, 10:02 pm »
 Like you, being new to vinyl, I just wanted to try out a decent plug and play tt like Clearaudio Concept. After I confirm that this is what I want then I just took a full blown at it. I dumped bout $9000 into a new table set up. Which includes a new Vpi Sc2, sds,Soundsmith Zephyr cart and Bat P5. It blows away my Oppo 105 but it has to be.( At nine to ten time the cost of the Oppo). IMO, vinyl is easier to listen to than digital but it would be depend on the material I am listening to. For ex, Pink Ploy The Wall, Eagles Hotel California lp is superior than cd. OTOH, Dire Strait Brother in Arms sacd is better than lp. In general, I like to listen to vinyl more than my digital now but only at day time. At night time, I still like to be able to lay down on my couch, close my eyes with digital streaming. Just my 2cts.

Samurai7595

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm »
At night time, I still like to be able to lay down on my couch, close my eyes with digital streaming.

+!   :thumb:   After a long and stressful day at work!

turnovertherecord

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2014, 11:49 am »
Like you, being new to vinyl, I just wanted to try out a decent plug and play tt like Clearaudio Concept. After I confirm that this is what I want then I just took a full blown at it. I dumped bout $9000 into a new table set up. Which includes a new Vpi Sc2, sds,Soundsmith Zephyr cart and Bat P5. It blows away my Oppo 105 but it has to be.( At nine to ten time the cost of the Oppo). IMO, vinyl is easier to listen to than digital but it would be depend on the material I am listening to. For ex, Pink Ploy The Wall, Eagles Hotel California lp is superior than cd. OTOH, Dire Strait Brother in Arms sacd is better than lp. In general, I like to listen to vinyl more than my digital now but only at day time. At night time, I still like to be able to lay down on my couch, close my eyes with digital streaming. Just my 2cts.

Would you do it again,jump into vinyl head first,nice first go,well done

The cartridge that is installed on the Concept will have to do for me,someday maybe more

Got some pics of your TT setup

Austin08

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2014, 02:34 pm »
Would you do it again,jump into vinyl head first,nice first go,well done

The cartridge that is installed on the Concept will have to do for me,someday maybe more

Got some pics of your TT setup

I am happy with my current set up. I would do it again in a heart beat if I have to. I just bough VPI HW17 last couple weeks so that mean vinyls is here to stay. Sorry for a crappy picture

turnovertherecord

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2014, 08:21 pm »
 :thumb:

Very nice

I am semi retired with about 1k albums

And about 2 to 8 hours a day to listen to vinyl except fri,sat and sunday maybe 1 hour if I am lucky,I have 4 days of each week :D

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2014, 01:19 pm »
Once CDs showed up, I pretty much abandoned vinyl.  The hiss, crackle, pops of vinyl drove me nuts and I could never come up with a vinyl cleaning system that I liked.   

I kept my turntable setup till the mid 90's and by then everything that I had on vinyl had finally shown up on CD.  The turntable and it's ortofon OM-10 cartridge is boxed up in the attic.

Vinyl was okay for rock and roll, but I just hated it for quiet jazz and classical.

I did have my brother convert 4 albums that were out of print to WAV and then to CD.  He has a TT to Computer rig setup.

HsvHeelFan

klao

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:22 pm »
I had only a few of 80's pop/rock LP's when in high school.  I shared the modest system with my dad who has about 100 classical records.  We then agreed to pursue CDs only, for the same reasons as other members mentioned above.

I got back to hifi system again just about ten years ago.  I realized that for my ears, vinyl sounded best, but so far I've been too lazy.  So no setup for LP's yet.  Love the Bryston BDP-1 to playback all my CDs ripped on hard drive.  I also started buying some SACD for the last two years.

In the next few months, I'm getting a used turntable.  The main reason for my entering the dark side was the vinyl re-issuing project that I got involved with.  Let's see when would I damage the tip of the cartridge.   :lol: