Philmonitors - SOLD

jsalk

Philmonitors - SOLD
« on: 23 Jun 2015, 05:50 pm »
Matt had us build special cabinets for a pair of Murphy Philmonitors.

He recently emailed to say he was down-sizing and wanted to know if I would list them here.

Here is a picture...

Matt can fill in the details.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2016, 01:37 pm by jsalk »

Art_Chicago

Re: Philmonitors
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:56 pm »
looks interesting, and a great finish as usual!

metropolis_488

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2015, 03:53 am »
Custom Jim Salk-Dennis Murphy Speakers

These started out at Philharmonic monitors (Dennis has his own speaker line called Philharmonic Audio – amazing stuff).  I LOVED the sound, but wanted to convert them to towers 1) because I wanted a better box alignment (the original cabinets were undersized) and 2) because I wanted pretty towers in my living room.

I sent the monitors to Jim Salk, he created his own cabinet design for the drivers.  The result is amazing.  These speakers are EXTREMELY flat/neutral, with loads of detail, yet NEVER fatiguing.  Actually, they strike that rare balance of being nice and smooth sounding while still allowing lively rock to sound energetic.  Jim’s towers go a little deeper and sound bigger than when they were in monitor form.  That said, they still dig every nuance out of my classical vinyl collection.  I have used these for 2-channel stereo only and never needed a sub (YMMV).

OK, so why sell?  New house with tiny space for stereo equals limited physical space for speakers and furniture.

Will be shipped in the original boxes from Jim.  US shipping only at buyer’s expense.  Local pickups are OK – I live in Virginia and am willing to drive about an hour or so to meet someone (from 22902).

Asking $1,250 SHIPPED (CONUS) for the pair.  Paypal only. (updated 7/23)

Frequency Response:  42hz - 30khz (+/- 2 db) (since Jim Salk's modifications, I'm sure they go lower than 42 hz, I just am not sure how much)

Sensitivity: 87 db

Impedance: 8 ohms

Ribbon Tweeter

6.5 inch mid/woofer

Curly Maple veneer - My pictures are not bringing out the figuring in the wood (I don't know how to take pictures properly) - Look at the picture Jim took - that is how they look in person.

If you are interested, you can email me at Metropolis_488@hotmail.com

-Matt

g]

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2015, 06:51 pm by metropolis_488 »

metropolis_488

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2015, 03:55 am »

metropolis_488

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm »
Hi Everyone - I kinda need to move these, so I am willing to listen to reasonable offers.

Either PM me, or email me (Metrtopolis_488@hotmail.com)

Thanks!
Matt

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2015, 01:56 am »
Beautiful speakers!

metropolis_488

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:12 am »
Thanks!  Maybe they would look better in your living room?   :D

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:11 am »
Thanks!  Maybe they would look better in your living room?   :D

Actually in one secondary system they would look nice (and would be the finish of my choice) and match the furniture too (not that I use that system tons).  Not that I don't have speakers/multiple systems or a need.  If it were the end of August and I was up that way for the Capital Audiofest (I moved from Northern VA at the end of 2013) which I will be doing I could more easily have my arm twisted.  I closed on the FL house in April 2013 (was still going back and forth and let the builder have access to the house to show it for a bit) and I picked up a pair of Ohm Microwalsh Talls (locally in FL about 90 minutes from where I live) for another secondary system (and stuck them in a closet for about a year) and the circumstances were similar except for the timing and being in the proximity of the speakers when they were being sold.

metropolis_488

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2015, 12:27 am »
Any takers for $1,350???

billmcc

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2015, 11:53 pm »
Very nice indeed! What drivers are used? The tweeter looks like a Raal tweeter.

Bill

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2015, 12:49 am »
Very nice indeed! What drivers are used? The tweeter looks like a Raal tweeter.

Bill

It is the Fountek Ribbon Tweeter and an SB Acoustics 6.5 inch mid driver.  It's still a great tweeter.

jpm

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2015, 01:15 am »
Phil - they're even named for you ... as signs from above go, this one's just blatant!

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2015, 01:19 am »
Phil - they're even named for you ... as signs from above go, this one's just blatant!

Never thought about that you're right.  If Dennis brings them to the Capital Audiofest we'll have to get a picture of Phil and Philmonitors.  Most people would rather have the Philmonitors though.  They sound and look better for sure :lol:

Here's a copy of what the bookshelf version looked like at the 2013 Capital Audiofest (the inner most pair).

metropolis_488

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2015, 10:14 pm »
Yup, that is what they looked prior to Jim's transformation.  I will say, as good as they were before, there was a marked improvement with them in Jim's cabinets. The internal dimensions of the cab are larger, thus they are fuller sounding.  Plus, Jim's cabs are far more robust, basically eliminating any resonance.  I have direct A/B compared these with speakers costing several thousand dollars and they absolutely smoke them (the B&W 805d was one that really stood out in  my mind as they cost about $5,000!)

metropolis_488

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2015, 05:58 pm »
PRICE REDUCED!  Come on, someone has gotta want these!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2015, 08:20 pm »
Matt,
Priced well, surprised they are not sold.

Images: It's a little trouble, but your little towers are smallish, so it won't be too bad.  Take one or both outside in cloudy, overcast, conditions.  Should be ideal without flash (but you can try with/without.)  This lighting minimizes shadows, tends to look natural, and should bring out the best quality in the grain.  (Indoor light tents serve two functions: they provide a blank background and also diffuse lights outside the tent to mimic outdoor cloudy overcast conditions w/o shadows.) 

Ideally the tint of the back drop is similar to but not necessarily exactly the same as the greatest volume of the subject.  For instance, a white grain reflects too much light w/a black back drop, because contrast is excessive between the two colors.  In this case, a back drop slightly darker (light eggshell or light tan) should work good with a very light colored veneer. 

Just guidelines, but you get the idea.  I get the sense following these tips will increase value, and make the images more closely approximate Jim's superb finish quality.

metropolis_488

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2015, 06:52 pm »
Now includes shipping in the continental USA.  I can't believe someone doesn't want these???

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2015, 08:30 pm »

Beautiful speakers. I don't think it's that people don't want them. It probably more like they do but have too much gear as it is. I would like them to try out but have too many speakers, although if you would like to trade for a really good tube amp.....

Rocket_Ronny

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2015, 03:51 am »
Yes - they are beautiful but apparently they also have changed the speaker line - http://philharmonicaudio.com/

If anyone wanted them and a matching center, I'm sure one could be made (and Salk makes Song Centers that would likely go really well if anyone is concerned about that).

albireo13

« Reply #19 on: 17 Aug 2015, 01:04 pm »
Are these still available?