A new BP-6 preamplifier

R. Daneel

A new BP-6 preamplifier
« on: 26 Apr 2015, 04:02 pm »
Hi folks!

Does Bryston plan on upgrading the BP-6 model this or next year?

I quite like the BP-17 but I must say I prefer the traditional mechanical control of the BP-6 as remote operation is very low on my list of priorities. Of course, the BP-17 is Bryston's most recent design so most likely it is supior in audio quality but I was wondering if there is going to be a BP-7 with less inputs and mechanical switches?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: A new BP-6 preamplifier
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2015, 04:11 pm »
Hi folks!

Does Bryston plan on upgrading the BP-6 model this or next year?

I quite like the BP-17 but I must say I prefer the traditional mechanical control of the BP-6 as remote operation is very low on my list of priorities. Of course, the BP-17 is Bryston's most recent design so most likely it is supior in audio quality but I was wondering if there is going to be a BP-7 with less inputs and mechanical switches?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

No changes planned for the BP6.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2015, 09:08 pm »
Hi Antun

No changes planned for the BP6.

james

Hi James!

Are there significant differences between BP6 and BP17 in terms of audio quality? The BP17 is only slighly more expensive but like I said, I prefer mechanical controls rather than sensor-type.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2015, 09:16 pm »
Hi James!

Are there significant differences between BP6 and BP17 in terms of audio quality? The BP17 is only slighly more expensive but like I said, I prefer mechanical controls rather than sensor-type.

Cheers!
Antun

They are very close in terms of the analog circuity - the BP17 uses more surface mount circuit boards whereas the BP6 is hole through circuit boards.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:23 pm »
They are very close in terms of the analog circuity - the BP17 uses more surface mount circuit boards whereas the BP6 is hole through circuit boards.

james

Hi James!

That is intriguing! Can you please answer these questions for me?
1. what are the current retail prices for the BP-6 and BP-17?
2. how much does the preamplifier section of the B-135 differ from the BP-17? Apart from the obvious difference that B-135 has no balanced output and that it has less inputs than the BP-17, are there differences in electronics design that would make the BP-17 a better sounding preamplifier?

Cheers!
Antun

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:45 pm »
Hi James!

That is intriguing! Can you please answer these questions for me?
1. what are the current retail prices for the BP-6 and BP-17?
2. how much does the preamplifier section of the B-135 differ from the BP-17? Apart from the obvious difference that B-135 has no balanced output and that it has less inputs than the BP-17, are there differences in electronics design that would make the BP-17 a better sounding preamplifier?

Cheers!
Antun

Cheers!
Antun

Hi,

The retails vary depending on the country.

The B135 preamp section is identical to the BP-17.  The B135 does not have Balanced out because it is an integrated amp - same number of inputs though as far as I know.  No difference in the preamp sections so no advanatge there.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2015, 05:41 am »
Hi,

The retails vary depending on the country.

The B135 preamp section is identical to the BP-17.  The B135 does not have Balanced out because it is an integrated amp - same number of inputs though as far as I know.  No difference in the preamp sections so no advanatge there.

james

Thanks James!

Okay, one final question:
does that mean a B-135 is essentially a BP-17 preamp and 2.5B power amp in one chassis?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2015, 06:50 am »
Thanks James!

Okay, one final question:
does that mean a B-135 is essentially a BP-17 preamp and 2.5B power amp in one chassis?

Cheers!
Antun

Correct - that way the Integrated is not a compromise over separates.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:34 am »
Correct - that way the Integrated is not a compromise over separates.

james

That is fabulous! Thanks James!  :thumb:

Right, well then, that moves the B-135 on the top of my list of contenders.

Cheers!
Antun