15" UltraMega Passive Radiator no longer available

John Casler

15" UltraMega Passive Radiator no longer available
« on: 20 Feb 2017, 11:17 pm »
Hi ALL,

Sad to say, the 15" UltraMega PR I helped some of you with is no longer available.   :cry:

I have not had the time or resources to find a replacement.  This thing ROCKED!!!!

That said, if one of you is brave, I saw where Parts Express now has a PR for around $120 that looks pretty substantial.

Since I am actually selling all my VMPS gear to focus on EVOKE, I doubt I'll actually try the PE PR, but if one of you does, please report back to those who will be keeping their VMPS gear running.

You can find the PE PR HERE

mhamilton1992

Re: 15" UltraMega Passive Radiator no longer available
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:59 pm »
I've got an Original sub, with the updated carbon driver that I got from Brian a few years later, but I've never touched the passive.

Thinking about playing with replacing the passive and trying to get a little more punch out
of the old girl.

Can you advise the proper procedure to tune the weights on the radiator ?
Does it require a frequency sweeper and SPL meter, or just do it by ear somehow?

With the original I just followed Brian's recommendation for the putty mass.

mhamilton1992

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2017, 04:46 pm »
Installed the Dayton 15" PR in my Original Sub.  Requires widening the hole by a few millimeters.
Definitely a well made unit.

Seems to work well.  The resonance frequency with no added mass seems to be around 15-18 Hz.  I added 4 of the washers for good measure.
Will try tuning it more accurately when I find a microphone that is flat in the sub-bass region.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2017, 05:11 pm »
Installed the Dayton 15" PR in my Original Sub.  Requires widening the hole by a few millimeters.
Definitely a well made unit.

Seems to work well.  The resonance frequency with no added mass seems to be around 15-18 Hz.  I added 4 of the washers for good measure.
Will try tuning it more accurately when I find a microphone that is flat in the sub-bass region.
Hi, Do you like this PR w/music?
What are your impressions?

Obs.: Iam asking it cause I afraid the Alu cone had a metalic timbre.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2017, 11:49 pm by FullRangeMan »