Original and Replacement Drivers for VMPS Speakers

Invisilink

Re: Original and Replacement Drivers for VMPS Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm »
Hello,

I'm looking for a 10 and 12 inch driver for one  RMX speaker.  I live in the area where VMPS speakers were produced.  Does his widow still have any?  I hate to bother her regarding this.  I just need to know what I can do to fix my drivers.  It appears it is the voice coil.  There is that laminate smell, and that scratchy sound when there pushed.

Thanks,

Ron

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:25 pm »
Hi Ron,

The widow doesn't have any drivers, with the exception of a handful of Neopanels.

Your best bet, it to contact Patrick Malaga, who purchased the remaining stock from the storage.

Only problem, is I am not sure Patrick "knows" which drivers he has that might fit the RM/x.

I tend to think the 10" of the RM-40 might fit just fine, but cannot guarantee it.

You could try and see if there are any MODEL # on them and try to see if MISCO could match you up with the model #, or a current driver that would be close.

Good luck.

Invisilink

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:30 pm »
Thank you so much for the quick response.

Is MISCO a speaker repair/sell center?

Thanks again,

Ron

John Casler

« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:32 pm »
Misco is a MANUFACTURER so they don't like dealing with retail, but you might get a good egg who could help.

Invisilink

« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:53 pm »
Thanks John!

wyman

« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2017, 11:58 pm »
I am looking for a replacement 10in carbon fiber lower sub for a RM40. Alternatively, I would appreciate any references to a technician capable of repairing a damaged voice coil on one of these.

Left [Damaged Voice Coil]
MISCO
OOC10W-A 1140301

Right [No Damage]
Misco 114
OOC10W-A 03/03/05
Qts = 0.4

audiomagnate

« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2017, 01:26 pm »
Miller Sound can probably fix it.

LosGatosSTI

« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:40 pm »
Hi Guys I need some help please if possible.

I'm looking for two ribbon tweeters for an RM40 set.  Are the Parts Express Arum Cantus G2si compatible to pop in the cabinet without any modifications to them?

I love the speakers themselves but have been thru two sets of tweeter ribbons lately.   When I opened them up to install the replacement ribbons I noticed that the silver colored metallic coating has worn off of the tweeter magnets.   I believe it is causing the ribbons to catch on fire somehow.  I have seen four ribbons spark up like a match over the past few days.  Im listening at moderate volume and have had no issues with these RM40's for many years so Im not sure what is going on.

Do any of you guru's have any ideas and how I can be rid of this problem?

Thanks and feel free to call me.  If I don't answer please leave me a message where I can contact you to discuss my options.

(408) 221-9878

Scott

audiomagnate

« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2017, 10:22 am »
I'm pretty sure I can help, but it's 3:21 in the morning where you are. I'll call you later.

LosGatosSTI

« Reply #29 on: 19 Oct 2017, 03:45 pm »
I ordered G2 tweeters from Parts Express and replaced them.  Had awesome sound again for about an hour then poof...two red fire balls at precisely the same time (one from each tweeter ribbon). 

What the heck is going on here? 

Both tweeter ribbons burn up at exactly the same time.  Do I need to put in new TRT caps or something?  Is it a problem with the bryston amp?  I am still under warranty with Bryston as it is only 14 years old now. 

This happened on the original tweeters that Brian installed as well.  This time I had the Marantz Av7703 hooked up with XLR's to the Bryston 6BSST and the other two times it was with the Sunfire TG III connected to the bryston.    Source material was a "Beck" SACD being played with an Oppo 205 in all cases.  Oppo was connected by RCA's from the analog out stereo L and R outputs to the receiver CD L and R inputs.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't even know how to take the RM40's a part to check anything. 

Could someone please describe how to take the RM40's apart to look for damaged components?  I have a good FLUKE MM and I am pretty handy and can solder basic stuff. 

What tools do I need and does anyone have instructions on how to change out or instal new caps like TRT's?

Thanks and please feel free to call me also as it may be easier to figure out a solution

Scott
(408) 221-9878

John Casler

NOS Spiral Ribbon Tweeter
« Reply #30 on: 1 Nov 2017, 02:48 pm »
Just found I have 2 NOS Spiral Ribbon Tweeters from the widow.

$39 each plus shipping

SpeakerDoc

« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2018, 12:58 am »
I ordered G2 tweeters from Parts Express and replaced them.  Had awesome sound again for about an hour then poof...two red fire balls at precisely the same time (one from each tweeter ribbon). 

What the heck is going on here? 

Both tweeter ribbons burn up at exactly the same time.  Do I need to put in new TRT caps or something?  Is it a problem with the bryston amp?  I am still under warranty with Bryston as it is only 14 years old now. 

This happened on the original tweeters that Brian installed as well.  This time I had the Marantz Av7703 hooked up with XLR's to the Bryston 6BSST and the other two times it was with the Sunfire TG III connected to the bryston.    Source material was a "Beck" SACD being played with an Oppo 205 in all cases.  Oppo was connected by RCA's from the analog out stereo L and R outputs to the receiver CD L and R inputs.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't even know how to take the RM40's a part to check anything. 

Could someone please describe how to take the RM40's apart to look for damaged components?  I have a good FLUKE MM and I am pretty handy and can solder basic stuff. 

What tools do I need and does anyone have instructions on how to change out or instal new caps like TRT's?

Thanks and please feel free to call me also as it may be easier to figure out a solution

Scott
(408) 221-9878

Hi Scott,  are you still on here?  Might your amp be oscillating?

SpeakerDoc

« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2018, 01:07 am »
I'm looking for an Aurum Cantus G2si faceplate so that I can put the ribbon tweeters back
to normal rather than de-horned.
Looking for faceplate, but will take a blown one, or one with a good faceplate at a good price.

Thanks, Pete

mthomas15

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2018, 09:16 pm »
Hi,

I am the 2nd owner of some old VMPS 626's with dome tweeters and am hoping to reburbish them. What drivers and tweeters can/should I use to replace in these? I'm hoping to restore without breaking the bank. I'm fairly technically inclined but haven't done this before - is there a manual or resource I should reference? I also have a pair of Supertower IIIs in need of work, but figure I should start with the 626's. Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated.

Thank you,

M Thomas

oldhvymec

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2018, 04:05 am »
Hello,

1. Do they function properly?

2. Is there something wrong with the drivers?

3. Rough, or smooth finish? Carbon fiber, (rough),  graphite, or a poly (smooth).

Just so you know even the NOS is getting older now. The foams have a much shorter shelf life. The rubber style (depending on the  composite material), can outlast the glue or binding agent. Silicone last a LONG LONG time.

There is a guy that bought a lot of the old factory surplus, close to the old factory site. Name is Pat. I can find his number somewhere.

I inquired about XOs and such, he had NO factory XOs

He had drivers and factory cabinets. Most of the stuff was older, but pretty well taken care of.

He post here in the VMPS speakers for sale, section.

Regards

RobertR

« Reply #35 on: 14 Sep 2019, 06:26 am »
I need a replacement 12 inch woofer for my FF1.  Does anyone have one?

Stimpy

« Reply #36 on: 15 Sep 2019, 02:18 pm »
I need a replacement 12 inch woofer for my FF1.  Does anyone have one?

AC member Pat Malaga advertises that he has 12" woofers.  You can send him a PM inquiry to check.  Pat usually has California craigslist ads too, listing stock.  But I didn't see any current ads when I just checked.

Good luck.

RobertR

« Reply #37 on: 16 Sep 2019, 10:47 pm »
Thanks, I sent Patrick a message.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jul 2020, 08:30 pm »
Since this is the place for all things related to VMPS driver support-ability.  The bass woofers used in the Large Ribbon Center speaker are MCM Audio Select 6 ½” woven carbon fiber cone woofer 55-1545. Looks like original phase plug is removed and VMPS custom plug glued in.  Likely the same woofer used in the Ribbon Dipole Surround speaker as the enclosure size is identical to LRC. Note the enclosure size is larger than 6”enclosure size used in RM-30 which used the 6" Misco dirver.

davidc1

« Reply #39 on: 21 Aug 2020, 01:38 pm »

Somebody made all the drivers for VMPS. Just because VMPS went out of business does not mean VMPS suppliers went out of business. In a loudspeaker like Ohm, which makes the unique Walsh driver themselves, then if Ohm went out of business you would be out of luck as far as factory replacements.

Bohlender-Graebener will probably keep improving their ribbon panels, because it's a competitive marketplace, and if not, somebody else will step in. With VMPS gone, there is a void in affordable neopanel speakers that somebody else is bound to eventually fill.

I know this is 6 ys old...sorrry...but Ohm is still around, aren't they?