What's available currently in an Internet Radio Tuner?

KS

Looking for an internet radio tuner to connect to my audio system.  The previous threads were outdated with most the items discontinued.  I don't have saved music to play, I just stream classical and jazz from over-the-air stations running an internet stream.

Low height is desired.  Low price is always desired; moderate price is OK.  WiFi is desired; ethernet is possible.  Onboard DAC is desired.

What sort of fidelity can be expected?  CD quality?  Analog FM?  HD radio?

Phil A

Re: What's available currently in an Internet Radio Tuner?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2014, 07:05 pm »
Most of the time I listen to 320kbs stations like Linn jazz or Linn Classical

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2014, 07:10 pm »
If you can find a used Squeezebox product like the Touch (I use it in one spare system) that would be one option

Phil A

Mortsnets

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2014, 11:42 pm »
I use a Laptop and AQ Dragonfly USB DAC and like KJEM and KCSM (Jazz) and NPR.  How is a standalone Internet Tuner better?
http://134.121.234.129:8000/NWPRKJEM.m3u

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2014, 05:17 am »
I use a Laptop and AQ Dragonfly USB DAC and like KJEM and KCSM (Jazz) and NPR.  How is a standalone Internet Tuner better?
http://134.121.234.129:8000/NWPRKJEM.m3u

I mainly have used the Squeezebox Touch or a Receiver (I guess I could try JRiver on the music server in the main system).  If I am not misunderstanding things - per this - http://kcsm.org/jazz91/streamingdevices.php     it does not seem like they are broadcasting at a great bit rate.  When I put in radio stations into memory from a receiver I usually go to shoutcast.com and sort by bit rate.  As of recent times I have not listened much as I have a laptop and a Teac DAC in one back-up system (still deciding what to do with the Squeezebox Touch in that system - LMS does have a beta version that will do DSD and it would be a more user friendly interface than the Teac player on the laptop - I'll decide over the winter) and a music server and a Meitner DAC in the main system.  I used to listen to internet radio in the office system with a Pioneer receiver (and that would be 90+% of my internet radio listening) but I moved the receiver to the bedroom (I guess I could use JRiver with the old receiver in there now).  I guess in theory you are taking the PC noise out and have a dedicated audio component.  For what I was doing, it is not a big deal as it was nice background while I surged when I used the Pioneer receiver.  I also had a better pair of speakers in the computer system (which I've moved to a back-up system).

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2014, 05:19 am »
I believe these are the URLs of the Linn stations:

Linn Radio http://89.16.185.174:8003/stream
Linn Jazz http://89.16.185.174:8000/stream
Linn Classical http://89.16.185.174:8004/stream

KS

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2014, 04:33 pm »
I found these two; don't know which gives the best sound or most convenient operation:
--Grace Digital Tuner Model GDI-IRDT200, $220
https://gracedigital.com/shop/tuner/#.VHSuMsnfITA

--Marantz Wireless Network Receiver Model M-CR510, $500
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=WirelessMusicSystems&ProductId=MCR510

The Grace Digital looks the best for my needs, the price is better, the size fits my cabinet better, but how does it sound and is it reliable?...I'm still checking.  Thanks for the ideas above, some will come in handy.

Any other internet radio tuners (no computer/tablet/cell) I haven't found?

asliarun

« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:53 pm »
For what it is worth, I am currently using a Roku as an internet radio tuner.
I used to have a Squeezebox Classic but it conked off.

Of course, the downside is that Roku does not work headless. One needs the TV to display what Roku is playing.

But to its credit, this $100 device (often to be had for $60) has over 100+ audio apps, supports most internet radio channels, and also allows you to plug in a USB drive if you so wish.

If you are a bit more computer inclined, yet another option is a PC itself. You can now get a Zotac Pico (fits in your palm) which is a full blown PC with Windows preinstalled. You can run the software audio player of choice on this little PC - and it only costs $200 - same as most other internet radio devices.

http://www.zotac.com/en/z-zone/zbox-pico.html

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2014, 06:16 pm »
For what it is worth, I am currently using a Roku as an internet radio tuner.
I used to have a Squeezebox Classic but it conked off.

Thanks for that - I have four Roku 3s and I always forget it can do that.  I do a couple of receivers in back-up system that do not have internet radio and when I upgrade something and rotate the stuff from the old system and want internet radio I need to consider that.

electricbear

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2014, 08:43 pm »
Also take a look at the Sonos Connect. It's a little more $ but very reliable, very flexible and easy to use.

steve in jersey

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2014, 10:29 pm »
I'm using a Cambridge Audio NP30 through a Synchro Mesh Reclocker (Empirical Audio) for my Internet Radio & I'm pretty pleasantly surprised at how good 320kbps,256kbps & even some of the stations broadcasting at lower but VBR can sound.

I've even found a few U.S. stations that I find very respectable (though I tend to find many more HQ feeds from Europe, Linn,Radio Klassika,Klasu,Marinsky,RCO,Avro   etc.)

The funny thing is I would never have believed I would be finding listening to non-lossless music files not completely unacceptable to
me. (For myself the SM Reclocker is making a significant difference in the details of the SQ) 

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2014, 04:25 am »
320K AAC can sound surprisingly good. BBC3 and KWAX-FM (out of Oregon) both have classical streams at that spec. 256K can sound respectable but just that little jump (256 to 320) seems to make a big difference. If I could find a good jazz station at 320K, I'd be as happy as a clam at high tide.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2014, 02:45 pm »
320K AAC can sound surprisingly good. BBC3 and KWAX-FM (out of Oregon) both have classical streams at that spec. 256K can sound respectable but just that little jump (256 to 320) seems to make a big difference. If I could find a good jazz station at 320K, I'd be as happy as a clam at high tide.

If you go to shoutcast.com and click on Jazz and then click on bit rate (to sort the stations), you'll find some listed as 320bps and you can right click the icon next to the play button to copy the URL.  Sometimes the bit rate listed is not correct.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2014, 04:34 pm »
Looking for an internet radio tuner to connect to my audio system.

I use the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 for Internet radio. It is overpriced if all you ever use it for is radio, but that's mostly all I use it for. I like having a radio in my system with access to good programming. The Stream Magic provides that. It sounds good too as long as you get stations with 128k bit rates and higher. 192k seems to be the sweet spot.

Keep in mind that most of the Internet stations are EQ'ed as well as compressed, so some of them actually sound better than they have the right to. And if you are like me, you turn on the radio with a different mentality than spinning your best vinyl record or digital disc. It's mostly about the programming. You want to be entertained and exposed to new music. Internet radio in a box is great for this.

What sort of fidelity can be expected?

Occasionally I will load a thumb drive full of ripped lossless CDs and drag a few hours worth of music into the Que of the Stream Magic. I usually get bored with it before the Que can play itself out. I guess I'm just not a computer audio guy at heart. Something very fundamental is lost on me as soon as I rip the CD. I only mention this so you know that I am not the best person to get an opinion of the sound quality of the Stream Magic, or any other computer audio product. (I have tried a few different computer set ups with the same results.)

I think the Stream Magic sounds great as a radio, and it is acceptable but ultimately boring as a primary music player in my system. The internal DAC sounds better to me than running the digital out into my Audio Note Dac. This seems counter intuitive, but the Audio Note Dac only shows me what's wrong with computer audio in the first place. The stream Magic as a one piece solution is much more convincing, albeit on a lower level. It's another source componemt to enjoy, and the more you have the better.

You might check out the Grace tuner or the CC wifi if all you want is cheap Internet radio in a box. I think the Stream Magic is probably a lot easier to navigate with the iPad function, but it costs a lot more. Of course you can spend even more....

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2014, 06:12 pm »
I use my SONOS 5 for casual/background music.  Sounds very good - better than Bose's best! :lol:

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2014, 10:27 pm »
If you go to shoutcast.com and click on Jazz and then click on bit rate (to sort the stations), you'll find some listed as 320bps and you can right click the icon next to the play button to copy the URL.  Sometimes the bit rate listed is not correct.
Thanks Phil!!!