I grabbed a Fiio X3 Digital Audio Player

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I grabbed a Fiio X3 Digital Audio Player
« on: 5 Mar 2014, 04:57 pm »
Having a fixed income its always a challenge to get some nice stuff in here but with a bunch of new DAP's coming out I grabbed a mint used one from Head-Fi for peanuts and I'm just really excited by how well it performs. I took a mini SD card I had and copied a bunch of the albums I bought in 24/96, 24/192 and some regular wav and flac files to it loaded it in the X3 and played Steely Dan Gaucho in 24/96 with my DT1350's on and took off. This little baby has played every file I've asked it to play and it sounds really good......its still new to me so the kid in me is still in new toy mode!!!!
 This unit is 199 new and its a huge bang for your buck, huge!!! I had a hifiman 602 and this X3 sounds better I think......now I can take my walks with hi def music playing from my pocket.....YES!!!!!!! Anyway just wanted to share that.....heres a picture I hope.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: I grabbed a Fiio X3 Digital Audio Player
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2014, 07:42 pm »
FYI to anyone interested - they've got them on massdrop.com right now at $160 if the lowest price gets unlocked.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fiio-x3-3

You need to register to see the deal.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2014, 12:32 am »
Cool lookin' player you got there, Edward!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2014, 09:23 am »
This little unit sounds excellent, huge bang for your buck.....this and the DT1350's for me are a wonderful matchup, just what I was hoping for. Do you guys use portable players much????

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2014, 12:22 pm »
Honestly Ed, when I found out that Amazon had taken EVERY CD I ever bought from them and added the MP3 versions of those tracks to my Amazon Cloud library, I stopped using my iPod as much and just used my iPhone. Between the Amazon Cloud (I had over 2000 songs in there and had NO idea Amazon was doing that for me), my iTunes Podcast app, and TuneIn radio, it's more than enough to keep me occupied when I'm away from  home.

That being said, I think all the digital players out there are fascinating to read about and see pics of  :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2014, 02:51 am »
Well, I certainly would very much be interested in this...if it were in the $100 price range. (You think you're on a budget, Ed...you should see mine!  :(  )

I love to travel and when I'm on the road for weeks/months, I'd love to have something like this. Right now, it's a $25 coby mp3 player. Not great but really convenient, tiny and light!

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2014, 02:15 pm »
Sansa Clip is another great portable audio player that can be found around $30. Even includes FM radio

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2014, 05:17 pm »
I'll second the sanza, the one I had was excellent and I see that
It's always a recommendation. Go for a clip if you want to try something
new charmerci!

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2014, 06:33 pm »
Ed-

Just bought the Fiio E17 USB DAC/headphone amp for the headphones. Not a great unit, but will suffice while I recover from knee surgery in April.

For phones got the Sennheiser Momentums.

Using an iPhone 4, Zune 80 and iPod 60 as source material, need to get mor hi-rez downloads.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm »

Sansa Clip is another great portable audio player that can be found around $30. Even includes FM radio

I'll second the sanza, the one I had was excellent and I see that
It's always a recommendation. Go for a clip if you want to try something
new charmerci!

Thanks. OK, I'll look into it. I'm saving money for a fall trip so I might not get one for a while.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2014, 02:41 am »
Sweet lookin' unit Ed. Hadn't seen that, but a friend was telling me about his just today. He & his wife just returned from a trip to NZ to sight-see & visit his first grandchild. On one of the flights he lost the charger cable. Maybe someone knows how to get a replacement ? He says his initial inquiries have been for naught. One each & no independent sources he can find so far. While he doesn't spend much time here he is an ACer, so I can point him to any replies. Or feel free to PM me rather than sidetrack Ed's thread.

Keep on truckin' buddy.  :thumb:

He did say he got 6 hrs of play out of it before it ran out of juice.  8)

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2014, 11:18 am »
"...he lost the charger cable."

It's just a micro USB cable, you can get one on Monoprice for very little.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2014, 08:07 pm »
Like noted above if he has a Fiio X3 all he needs is a USB cable, he might have a Cowon which have some weird cable but mine goes a good long while on a charge.

etcarrol, thats a nice setup right there for what you need  :thumb:

These X3s are a real steal I think, I put all my hi rez stuff and a bunch of std. flac files on it and listen to it all the time while
I'm bouncing around my apartment. The X5 is due any week now and I may try and trade up to one as ive been told
by headfi folks who were in on a prerelease tour that its even better. Its $350 though but even that's reasonable compared
to what's out there.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2014, 08:14 pm »
Thanks guys. 'Talked' to him this morning, he tried one cable, it fit loosely, and wouldn't connect to charge, but he's going to try some others. Not sure what model he has, but he saw et's post and is going to do some checking. Guess maybe it's time to update my cassette Walkman  :scratch:   :D

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2014, 09:05 pm »
Guess maybe it's time to update my cassette Walkman  :scratch:   :D

:lol:

I used to love my little sony sports walkman...that thing was durable!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:07 am »
My first Walkman was a collapsible casette one, with an FM radio I think, I wish I still had it just to show it to you guys....precision made collapsible thing it was amazing.....I have no idea why it collapsed.....LOL...... :lol:

Barfly

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2014, 04:44 am »
I had that collapsible cassette "Super Walkman"...  when compressed without a cassette in it, it was the exact same size as a plastic cassette case... So it would fit in a slot in any cassette storage device... Very cool.   Amazing quality and performance for such a small device.. And it ran on a single AA battery!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2014, 01:34 pm »
One battery I remember that now, never put it together or bothered to find out about why it collapsed but I did remember the size being the same as a cassette case....wow...mine was Silver and Red, at least thats what I'm remembering. Barfly thanks for letting us know that....awesome. :thumb:
 It really was a "Super Walkman" !!!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jun 2014, 11:33 pm »
For any folks with Fiio X3 there is a new firmware out that totally changes the user interface to colorful choices of graphical icons..... Check it out i love it much better. Sound upgrades also...
www.fiio.com