WHAT MAC MINI TO BUY FOR AUDIO

glrtrgi

WHAT MAC MINI TO BUY FOR AUDIO
« on: 6 Jul 2014, 04:55 am »

I know that Steve has recommended buying a late 2009 model for the best results if you were putting together a computer based audio system. Is that still the case or are more recent years' Minis preferable, and if so, which model/year is the best?

Thanks for the help.

GLR

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: WHAT MAC MINI TO BUY FOR AUDIO
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2014, 03:22 pm »
MC238 with 2.26 dual core is the one you want. It sounds sublime once you get all the tweaking done to it. Just use Steve's write up to get it set up properly. The Hynes supply is really worth getting also, and makes it one fantastic server that is tough to beat.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2014, 03:26 pm »
The Mac Mini is way way overdue for a major upgrade.  It might be wise to wait on that purchase..

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Scroll up or down to find the report.

Frank Van Alstine

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2014, 04:36 pm »
I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I didn't care much for the 2009 Mini with either of my Firewire DACs. I actually think my old Powerbook sounds better...but that's in my system, and IMHO. The point is you'll have to hear it for yourself, no matter what. If computer audio does nothing else, it gives you the opportunity to become even more neurotic than you thought you already were.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2014, 07:38 pm »
2011/quad core or newer.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2014, 07:52 pm »
GLR,

There was discussion on this just recently. JARCHER gave some very good advice. Here is the link to that thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126948.msg1339498#msg1339498

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2014, 04:32 am »
Yeah : considering the very high resale value of Mac minis, I'd just buy a new entry level one @ $550. Buying used after all is said and done you'll save yourself $300 at the very best. My understanding from the Mac mod guru Ben @ Mojo Audio, the stock post 2010 ones sound better than the earlier ones even if you do have to mod them for DC if you want to use an external linear lower supply. This to my mind was the only advantage of the pre 2010 ones : I.e. that they already used an external (switching) power supply, so upgrading that was plug and play.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2014, 04:44 am »
GLR,

For a little more color:

My brand spanking new Mac Mini has replaced my 3 yr old PC. The PC was so noisy I hid it behind my desk just to conceal the worst of the noise. Now I switch on my Mini.....and.....I hear nothing. The clock on the wall makes more noise ticking than my Mini. What the hell took me so long?  :duh:

Okay. The Mini isn't perfect. I must buy Windows emulator software in order to run my stock trading program, and I must relearn some 'how to' things because of the different OS, but these minor quibbles aside........I'M SOOO GLAD I made the switch.  :beer: Actually, this is a switch back  since my first computer was a Macintosh 512k (no HD, 9" screen).

Best of luck!

Michael

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2014, 05:20 am »
What makes the newer Mini's better? Is it just the fact that they have more powerful processors?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2014, 05:39 am »
I think that may be part of it, but may also be that the components and case are higher quality and less noisy than previous version and most models consume overall less power than 2009 & earlier.  I believe that's the explanation Ben @ Mojo Audio gave me, though being a few years back my memory is foggy on all the details.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2014, 07:02 am »
Look around for an actual mac mini "server".  They are built better. Get one with a quad core processor. You won't regret it. Then get whatever kind of external drive you want. The standard mac mini is not the same as the macmini server. Go quad core, you won't regret it.

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2014, 07:25 pm »
This is what I use and recommend.  I have compared it to newer versions, and even battery powered ones:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/recommended-systems

Powered by a Hynes SR5-8.5, it's killer good.  I use Amarra 4318 version until they come-up with a better one.

Steve N.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2014, 08:00 pm »
Again, note that the current Mac Mini is way way overdue for replacement by Apple.  See my earlier post herein.

Frank VA

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2014, 08:27 pm »
This is what I use and recommend.  I have compared it to newer versions, and even battery powered ones:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/recommended-systems