Going paperless and need automatic backup device

Nick B

Going paperless and need automatic backup device
« on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:52 pm »
I have a Fujitsu Scansnap scanner and would like to get rid of as much paper as I can. I would like a wireless device that will automatically backup not only those scans but also my music files and other things. I do not want to pay for cloud storage and I don't want to do it manually. We are nearly all Mac with all our devices. I don't care if the backup device is from Apple or another brand, as long as it works. Also, is it possible to have multiple Apple devices back up to one wireless storage device?
Opinions appreciated!!

Doublej

Re: Going paperless and need automatic backup device
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:03 pm »

cody69

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2016, 10:09 am »
Not familiar with this scanner, so is it an option to have it send images wirelessly to one of your macs?
This way and assuming the mac is being backed up, you have redundancy of the scans, which may be important to  you.

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:11 am »
I checked and the Apple product would do the trick. But a number of user comments talk about failures within 2-3 years.

I am trying to find the user manual for the Fujitsu. It does operate wirelessly, but I'd want the scans to go to a drive other than on the macs. Redundancy is very important as I've experienced a few crashes over the years.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2016, 01:09 am »
The best redundancy is a having copies of your data in multiple geographically dispersed locations preferably across geographic zones. If you just want to protect against single drive failures use a mirrored raid configuration.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2950478/storage/how-to-configure-a-cheap-secure-raid-backup-system.html

At ~$60/TB, mirroring is really inexpensive.

Nick B

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2016, 03:16 pm »
The best redundancy is a having copies of your data in multiple geographically dispersed locations preferably across geographic zones. If you just want to protect against single drive failures use a mirrored raid configuration.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2950478/storage/how-to-configure-a-cheap-secure-raid-backup-system.html

At ~$60/TB, mirroring is really inexpensive.

Great stuff and thanks for posting. That's the most simple configuration of a raid setup I've ever read. I'd probably use the  CCC software as well