MegaHz

Re: New Preamp
« Reply #22 on: 26 Nov 2015, 01:41 am »
Gorgeous pieces Dave. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #23 on: 26 Nov 2015, 01:42 am »
Beautiful work, Dave and RDavidson. Really beautiful statement pieces.  :bowdown:

Where's the one for your next Tour?  :wink:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2015, 01:50 am »
Link for the knob seller doesn't work.

strange, it works for me... try searching for seller along198 in ebay.

RDavidson

« Reply #25 on: 26 Nov 2015, 02:03 am »
Using my phone, the link takes me to a string of several listings, but not directly to the specific knob we selected.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #26 on: 26 Nov 2015, 02:19 am »
6/12 volt switch.... that's sweet.... 8)

RDavidson

« Reply #27 on: 26 Nov 2015, 02:22 am »
Beautiful work, Dave and RDavidson. Really beautiful statement pieces.  :bowdown:

Thank you, JerryM. It took a lot of "behind the scenes" work to get to the result you see. MAJOR attention to detail was paid inside and out, down to every screw location with the idea that these may easily be the last preamps Dave or I will ever want/need. Everything had to be right. I'm proud to say these were built without a prototype chassis or circuit layout first....which is a testament to the foundational work and parts by Tortuga and Glassware Audio Designs. What you see, is our first go. I think we were pretty successful. :D

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 26 Nov 2015, 02:47 am »
Using my phone, the link takes me to a string of several listings, but not directly to the specific knob we selected.

Right, I'm not sure that exact knob is still available but it looks like he has a bunch of them. I think the 44x22s are the same ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-D-44mm-x-H-22mm-aluminum-volume-knob-amplifier-knob-silver-color-sn-/141412688599?hash=item20ecda62d7:g:LbUAAOSwDk5UG-wu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-D-44mm-H-22mm-full-aluminum-volume-knob-amplifier-knob-black-color-sn-/141795665132?hash=item2103ae24ec:g:ERoAAOSw5VFWFfKy

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #29 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:09 am »
Thank you, JerryM. It took a lot of "behind the scenes" work to get to the result you see. MAJOR attention to detail was paid inside and out, down to every screw location with the idea that these may easily be the last preamp we'll ever want/need. Everything had to be right. I'm proud to say these were built without a prototype chassis or circuit layout first. What you see, is our first go. I think we were pretty successful. :D

I sure look forward to reading your impressions.  :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:38 am »
Making the decision to move forward with this (sort of unproven) project took a bit of a leap of faith, considering the time and monetary investment. I already had an excellent preamp (2 for awhile, actually), but decided to sell them to help fund this endeavor. Given the base circuitry and Dave's know-how, I came to the realization that it was a unique opportunity to not only obtain a state-of-the-art preamp at a reasonable price, but also have a chance to design something I'm personally interested in. I think I'm going to be completely blown away.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:47 am »
Ryan,any class-a ss preamp/pwramp in the works?
great built this one mate... :thumb:

cheers

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #32 on: 26 Nov 2015, 04:10 am »
Dave,

Thanks for the link; it worked for me.

Compressed wool is certainly handy to have around for various DIY projects. I have used it for footers and for diffusion on baffles. It's also useful under fairly heavy gear, such as speakers, to function as a slider on wood floors.

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2015, 04:13 am »
GG, sorry, but the answer is no. I'll leave the Class A SS amp designs to Nelson Pass. :thumb:
Note, when I say I "designed" the preamp, I'm speaking about the esthetic design and tactile / functional aspects only. Dave did everything else. It was a team effort, though Dave was the one who put the rubber to the road.

Odal3

« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:32 pm »
Wow - absolutely amazing looking. Congratulations to both of you. You must be beyond excited! The brushed cupper with the color scheme is super nice

Dave - would you mind detailing out hook up wire choices and connectors to someone like me who is trying to learn.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #35 on: 27 Nov 2015, 02:13 pm »
I see a USB port.
Do you have a block diagram of the pre-amp?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #36 on: 27 Nov 2015, 02:58 pm »
Wow - absolutely amazing looking. Congratulations to both of you. You must be beyond excited! The brushed cupper with the color scheme is super nice

Dave - would you mind detailing out hook up wire choices and connectors to someone like me who is trying to learn.

Thanks!

For power and ground wiring I used surplus mil-spec wire, stranded silver plated copper in teflon insulation. At the IEC I used Furutech push-connectors and at the power switch and relay I used ring terminals. Mostly 18g but for ground I doubled it and used 12g for the IEC>ground and for IEC > Power switch. Used 18g and ring terminals for the 6V/12V switch.

For signal wiring I used scraps of my OCC silver/gold wire and UPOCC silver for input #1. For #2 and #3 I used UPOCC copper scraps. Out to the LDR used more OCC silver/gold/UPOCC silver scraps and for LDR>Buffer and Buffer>Outs I used lengths of my D4 interconnect cable which use the same wire... OCC silver/gold and UPOCC silver.

Lots of folks would use more stuff to organize wire like terminal strips to hook up the power trafos. I just connected most of the leads directly, for me it really doesn't take much more effort to solder/unsolder wires from the PCBs if needed, it's quick and easy but I've done a lot of soldering.

SS, the USB port is only for potential firmware updates for the Tortuga LDR board, there is no DAC or anything. I don't have a diagram, it's too simple to require one... The signal goes from RCA In > Input switching board > LDR board > Tube Buffer > RCA Outs.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #37 on: 27 Nov 2015, 02:59 pm »
I just spent a good ten minutes going back and forth between the two different woods. [Of course, that was after I had oohed and aahed at the preamps.]  :thumb:

I'm still not totally sure which I prefer, but I have a couple questions about them. What was used to finish them? Were any dyes or tints added to bring out the grain? Where did you find the wood?

Thanks!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:36 pm »
I just spent a good ten minutes going back and forth between the two different woods. [Of course, that was after I had oohed and aahed at the preamps.]  :thumb:

I'm still not totally sure which I prefer, but I have a couple questions about them. What was used to finish them? Were any dyes or tints added to bring out the grain? Where did you find the wood?

Thanks!

Me too! They both look really cool. I was going to for a vintage/retro look while Ryan's preamp is more modern looking imo.

The finish is sanding sealer > clear gloss lacquer. The spalted wood absorbed a ton of both sealer and lacquer, it took many, many coats to get it to look how it does. The burl absorbed a lot of finish too but nowhere near the spalted maple. The spalted maple is the nicest I've ever seen but pretty far along in the spalting process so there are some soft spots that were very hard to finish. No dies or tints used. The wood was sourced from ebay, there's a lot of amazing wood listed there.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #39 on: 27 Nov 2015, 06:21 pm »
. The signal goes from RCA In > Input switching board > LDR board > Tube Buffer > RCA Outs.

Dave,
Could you place the buffer in front of the input side instead at the output so you wouldn't need a buffer for each output? This would be for a bi-amp setup.

On second thought, I suppose I wouldn't be gaining anything by installing it on the input because I'd need a separate buffer for each input or one buffer before the input RCAs' relay board. :duh:
Alternatively, I'll need a buffer for each output or wire one buffer just in front of the output RCAs'.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2015, 04:16 pm by rajacat »