ModWright Announces Mod for Sony HAP-Z1ES!

modwright

Re: ModWright Announces Mod for Sony HAP-Z1ES!
« Reply #20 on: 8 May 2014, 05:50 pm »
To be honest, I have not compared it to the 5400ES.  I have compared it to the stock HAP-Z1ES and it is A LOT better!

It will take some burn-in, due to the use of MWI capacitors AND four Lundahl signal transformers.  The transformers take a WHILE to break-in fully, so keep this in mind.

You will be QUITE pleased!

Thanks,

Dan

brownsfan

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2014, 11:07 am »
Dan, I learned to trust your ears when I pulled the trigger on your 5400 mod.  For you to tell me your HAPZ1 mod makes it a lot better tells me I should expect to be blown away. 

The stock unit exhibits a bit of grain.  Not bad, but it's there.  I'm betting your caps will address this, and as I said previously, a bit of tube magic I expect will give us some help on upper harmonics.  I found my ModWright 5400 renders woodwinds, in particular, with that wonderful fruity sound that in my experience, requires tubes.  The stock HAPZ1 can't match that.  I'm guessing what you are doing will also improve dynamics.

I found my MW 5400 required a good 200-400 hours to bloom, so I know the drill. 

brownsfan

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:03 pm »
All,  my ModWrighted HAPZ1 including a Bybee rail arrived last Tuesday.  I was out of town most of last week, so I only have about 20 hours on it so far.   Keeping in mind Dan's admonition to give it a full 400 hours of burn in, I won't attempt to make serious judgements with only 5% of that time on the books.  However, with a couple of good listening sessions under my belt, I would say that I perceive a reduction in grain and probably an improvement in sound stage depth.  I can't really comment on resolution, dynamics, upper harmonics etc yet.   You may wish to follow my thoughts in more detail on audiogon as break in continues and as I work through trying to develop an efficient protocol for transferring my extensive classical music library to the HAPZ1.

Time permitting, I may try to get a quick A/B with my modwright sony 5400 in at about 130-150 hours.

Thanks to Dan, Kirstin et. al. for their usual superb work and communication.

kngale1

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2014, 01:09 am »
My Sony HAP-Z1ES was scheduled to ship from MW this Mon so hopefully getting it back soon.   Got mine with Bybee rails options and looking forward to experience Dan's transformer coupling implementation.   Have SR Red fuse, TS NOS 5U4GB and 60's Siemens e88cc patiently waiting.   Will report after some breaking in.

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2014, 06:45 pm »
It will actually ship today. I apologize but we are a bit behind and I wanted to be sure and burn it in properly before it shipped.  You will be very pleased!

Thanks,

Dan

kngale1

« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2014, 11:53 pm »
No problem Dan.  With positive reviews on your recent releases, I'm not surprised you are very busy.  Thanks!

kngale1

« Reply #26 on: 2 Nov 2014, 05:51 pm »
My MW Sony HAPZ1-ES arrived Thurs. After 48 hours of break-in, I'm at the point where I can enjoy it.  Sound stage is expanding in all directions, images are well defined with solid density, dynamics improving with excellent Bass and High extensions.  Still hearing POSITIVE changes so can't wait until it's fully broken in.

Setting up the Sony was SIMPLE.  It took me longer to replace the fuse than launch the program and download music to the unit. 

The stock fuse was replaced with SR Red immediately.  Replaced stock tubes after 24 hours with NOS TS 5U4GB and 60's Siemens e88cc.

Comparing to MW 6SN7, one is not superior but just different.  HAP-Z1ES has superior detail, resolution, more neutral and less warm but definitely not bright or SS sounding.  Personally I prefer the sound of the HAP-Z1ES.  For reference, Shuguang BT cv181-z was my favorite 6SN7 in MW.

FYI, I was also considering Bryston BDP-2 or Antipode with Allnic D5000 ... Dac.  Ultimately chose Sony due to simplicity with available reference mods and definitely not disappointed in my decision.

So far the only suggestion I have is it was difficult removing the driver tubes from the unit.  I couldn't get a good grip so either increase tube exposure or expand the hole diameter.

I'll update again once the unit is fully broken in.  Dan clearly hit a HOME RUN with this new transformer coupling design.  I look forward to new MW models with this design.

Thanks Dan for the excellent work and service.

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 3 Nov 2014, 07:43 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!  Enjoy!

Dan Wright

brownsfan

« Reply #28 on: 26 Nov 2014, 07:13 pm »
Dan,

I've had my Hapz1 for almost 6 months now.  It is just a joy.  I am using the 2010 vintage ps 9.0 power supply from my Sony 5400, and have a question about rectifier tubes.  I understand both the 5AR4  and 5U4 rectifiers can be used.  However, I am also interested in 5R4GY tubes.  Can they be used in the ps 9.0 and ps 9.9 power supplies?

modwright

« Reply #29 on: 26 Nov 2014, 08:28 pm »
Yes!  The 5R4GYS can certainly be used and is a GREAT sounding rectifier, in both the PS 9.0 and 9.9.

Thank you for your support and feedback!

Sincerely,

Dan W.