Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player

kngale1

Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player
« on: 21 Feb 2014, 03:16 pm »
Dan,

Will you be offering a mod to the new Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player?

Alleye

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:26 pm »
Also curious as well

Rabbani

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2014, 01:22 pm »
Me too..

Expect Mr.Dan will give us good news soon !!

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2014, 01:00 am »
Hi guys and sorry for the tardy reply!

I have been watching this unit with GREAT interest! I have also had the opportunity to hear it and see the insides and I agree that it IS ripe for modifying!

Can I get an idea about the level of interest in this player?  As many of you know, I choose the products that we mod carefully and we only offer mods for a few specific products each year.

I will say this about it:

It fills the gap for a computer-only, DSD capable player.  For those reading this that don't know exactly what the Sony HAP-Z1ES is... It does not have a digital input or output.  It does not read CD's.  It requires a computer to download music from and comes with a 1TB drive internal drive. It does have USB and ethernet connectivity as well as WiFi.  It also uses a form of digital engine to decode ALL music at DSD 2 resolution.  So, it offers different functionality than the products that we currently modify: Sony XA-5400ES, Oppo 95, Oppo 105 and Oppo 105 Darbee edition.

Thanks and PLEASE do post your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Dan W.
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2016, 05:26 pm by modwright »

kngale1

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2014, 02:01 pm »
Dan,

Here's a Red Wine Audio link that gives you a level of interest for a mod.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124280.msg1310316#msg1310316

To me beauty of the  HAP-Z1ES is once data loaded to HD and connected to the network, you don't need a computer or transport for it to work.   It's like a jukebox where you can control it with an App.  It simplifies your system and save $$ on peripherals.

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2014, 06:07 pm »
Vinnie's assessment of the stock unit is right on.  I agree that it is a very well designed stock unit.

My listening experience is similar.  It is good, but not as good as our own DAC or other modified pieces.

As usual, it is the analog stage that is lacking, IMHO.

I like the use of PCM1795 DACs as I like the Burr Brown DAC sound.

I plan to continue to investigate the unit and look forward to feedback here, so that I can gain interest level in the product.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2014, 05:35 pm »
Im surprised no one has posted interest yet. Well, it has only been a day and a half or something but...
Maybe its the lack of ability to be used with a DAC.
Apart from it shortcomings in versatility, I believe once it gets a chance to get out there a bit more, people will become much more interested... I think this unit (modded or not) will bring many experienced AND inexperienced audiophiles to "computer" audio. Judging by the multitude of repeating questions in each thread on the HAP-Z1ES around on different forums, there is still a lot of confusion OR just a lot of newcomers interested. But I do see that as a good sign for its future and believe the interest will only grow.

Personally, I am very interested in a ModWright modded unit. I would use it as source in my future headphone rig.

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2014, 05:54 pm »
It is interesting.  I am VERY impressed with the unit personally.  The flexibility that it gives from a single-computer-audio-DAC source is phenomenal!  I think Sony really hit it out of the park!

I will be pursuing it and we shall see what happens.

Thanks,

Dan

brownsfan

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2014, 01:26 pm »
Dan,
I am a new member of AudioCircle, but I have followed the ModWright Circle for a number of years.  I am a long time, satisfied owner of a ModWright Sony5400 and am eagerly awaiting arrival of a new PS 9.9 power supply, which you shipped out yesterday.  I did want to add my voice to those expressing interest in your proposed modification of the HAP-Z1. 

A few questions and comments.  Have you thought about including a modification that would permit use of the HAPZ1 with a transport?   I know you developed a digital in option for the 5400, and as I recall that was not a trivial task, but I think that this sort of functionality would substantially increase the market uptake on your proposed modification of the HAPZ1.

Please be patient with me if I expose my ignorance here, but my initial interest runs along the following lines.  I'm convinced that DSD presents a substantially more musical, analog if you will, reproduction.  I am seriously intrigued by the ability of the HAPZ1 to convert PCM to DSD, but I am currently not invested in an even rudimentary computer audio system. 

The Hi Rez download market is still immature, somewhat akin to the early days of CD.   There is currently not a lot of software out there, and what there is is pretty pricey. Many of us already have substantial silver disc libraries, and won't be going all in on a complete Hi Rez overhaul even when the market matures.  From where I am currently, it would take a substantial upfront investment in time and money to commit my existing a library of a couple thousand disks or more to computer audio, which could then be downloaded to the HAPZ1.  Functionality that would permit interfacing the HAPZ1 with a transport would substantially reduce this upfront investment in time and money.

Your comments?

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2014, 04:15 am »
Dan
Any further thoughts on the Sony?
Mark

wisnon

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:46 am »
It seems good, but DSD on a chip is oh so last century. I have heard DSD with a good LPF and its way better.

peterlim8

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2014, 10:20 am »
It seems good, but DSD on a chip is oh so last century. I have heard DSD with a good LPF and its way better.

Similar product and about same price range? A "single-computer-audio-DAC source"?

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:24 pm »
Hi guys, first of all, adding a digital out is really not feasible in this case.  The signal is really only accessible via I2S or DSD format, from the processor section itself, feeding the DACs.  Not willing to tackle this for a number of reasons.

It IS a computer-only system and as such, will not be for everyone.  It is NOT however, a Hi-Rez only player.  It will accept ALL formats, up to and including DSD2 and will also convert normal-rez files to DSD rez before decoding.  You can toggle the DSD engine off/on, ON THE FLY, via smartphone or tablet app and the difference is NOT subtle to my ears!

Yes, it does require transferring your CD's to a computer.  This IS a trend that is hard not to notice.  If you don't want to go that route, then a CDP is still the option for you.  However, if you are willing to take that step, and start transferring your favorite CD's at least, over to a computer format, the convenience AND sound are phenomenal with this piece!

The design option that I am considering would not involve complex analog filters AT ALL!  I would also NOT call this DSD on a chip.  I expect that the reference is to new technologies that have been advertised lately.  I have not heard this new tech in its current form and as such, cannot comment.

I am envisioning a clean and pure sounding analog stage, using inductive coupling and loading, much as in our Elyse DAC, with PHENOMENAL resolution!

Thanks,

Dan W.

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:12 pm »
Very interested if this can be upgraded from "high end" to "exceptionally good high end". Vinnie has already offered a "level one" mod for sale on his site.

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2014, 11:21 pm »
Exceptionally Good High End is what I am looking at!

I will see what Vinnie is offering.

Thanks,

Dan

brownsfan

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:07 pm »
Dan,  Thanks for answering my question.  Permit me a couple followups.  OK, so I will need to copy my Cd's to my computer prior to transferring the files to the HAPZ1.   That in itself is not necessarily a show stopper.
1. Do you expect the sound quality of the HAPZ1 output will be independent of the file type transferred, eg, will apple lossless and FLAC be essentially indistinguishable? 
2. Will playback be gapless?  This is essential for classical music, so absence of gapless playback is a nonstarter.
Thanks, I really do have an interest in this piece, but I have to be realistic in terms of additional time and money investment beyond the HAPZ1 and upgrade.

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:41 pm »
Hi, first of all, I have been listening to music files ranging from native DSD, to ripped DSD, 16.44.1 FLAC, WAV and AIFF files.

I have also toggled between DSD engine and non, and found that I preferred the DSD engine on in all cases.

In short, EVERY format is OUTSTANDING when played through the Sony. All formats are converted to DSD resolution before decoding (if DSD engine is on) and THIS feature IS outstanding!

Now, as to gapless for Classical, I will have to look at this.  Most products such as this allow for this and a number of other custom ways to transfer from track to track.

I will verify.

Thanks,

Dan

smargo

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:15 pm »
Dan,  Thanks for answering my question.  Permit me a couple followups.  OK, so I will need to copy my Cd's to my computer prior to transferring the files to the HAPZ1.   That in itself is not necessarily a show stopper.
1. Do you expect the sound quality of the HAPZ1 output will be independent of the file type transferred, eg, will apple lossless and FLAC be essentially indistinguishable? 
2. Will playback be gapless?  This is essential for classical music, so absence of gapless playback is a nonstarter.
Thanks, I really do have an interest in this piece, but I have to be realistic in terms of additional time and money investment beyond the HAPZ1 and upgrade.

the gapless playback feature can be turned to auto - or it can be turned off - you decide

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2014, 08:21 pm »
Thanks for that.  I just found this out on the app today myself.  I was going to post and you did it for me!

Take care,

Dan

Stercom

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2014, 01:05 am »
Hi, first of all, I have been listening to music files ranging from native DSD, to ripped DSD, 16.44.1 FLAC, WAV and AIFF files.

I have also toggled between DSD engine and non, and found that I preferred the DSD engine on in all cases.

In short, EVERY format is OUTSTANDING when played through the Sony. All formats are converted to DSD resolution before decoding (if DSD engine is on) and THIS feature IS outstanding!

Now, as to gapless for Classical, I will have to look at this.  Most products such as this allow for this and a number of other custom ways to transfer from track to track.

I will verify.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan - I totally agree about the DSD Remastering engine. At times I have to double check whether or not I'm listening to the FLAC version or the DSD version of an album. But if I turn it off the difference in sound quality is readily apparent. I've been leaving it on pretty much all the time now.