What does the Fet Valve EC have over the T9 ?

S Ferraro

What does the Fet Valve EC have over the T9 ?
« on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:36 am »
Got a 400R earlier this year and I'm now an AVA customer for life ! Going to order a preamplifier next month and by the description under Characteristic Sound it makes me lean towards a T9. If the Fet Valve CF Hybrid is the very best we can currently do, what does better than the T9 ? I currently have Magneplanar 1.7 speakers but my next upgrade after the preamp will be the Salk Veracity ST's. I'd also like to know if anyone has any feedback on the new MM/MC phono option using it with a MC phono cartridge and which cartridge are they using ?

plaf26

Re: What does the Fet Valve EC have over the T9 ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2014, 02:48 am »
Can't speak to the T9, though I traded a T8 for the CF.  It is a whole order of magnitude clearer.  As for the MM/MC phono section, mine is paired with a Denon DL103R.  Before the new AVA phono section, I had to use step-up transformers--ho hum, I could take it or leave it.  With the new AVA phono section, I don't want to go back to MM carts.  I have no experience of other MC's but I'm totally satisfied with this combination.  You've got to hear it to believe it.  I'm currently using an AVA 400R loaded into Magnepan MMG's with a Biro Kensington subwoofer, though tomorrow I'm going to try to audition a pair of Philharmonic 3's.  It just keeps getting better and better!
 :banana piano:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:52 pm »
Hi, S. Ferraro and plaf26.

As of exactly one week ago, I am a happy 400R owner, too!  :dance: :banana piano: :beer:

I've got sfox7076's old T-8 preamp, which I love. [Thank you, Shawn!] I've had it for just a few months. My finances (and the stock market!) will see to it that I don't upgrade any time too soon.

plaf26:

I wonder if you could describe (in any terms you can/wish) how the CF sound differs from the T-8 sound. I'm aware of what Frank has said about the CF, but it's always good to hear from folks such as yourself.

Thanks,

Michael

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:38 pm »
The FET is way better than the T-9 IMHO.  It is more dynamic and musical with better detail and resolution.  The T-9 is a very good sounding preamp, especially for the price but the FET is just that much better.  One of my friends bought a T-9 to run with his 400R but ended up exchanging it for the FET and he has not 1 regret.  It took his system to another level. The FET competes with tube preamps costing much more.  I got to hear them on and A-B comparison and the difference was not subtle. Bass is deeper, the midrange is more liquid and fuller and there is more depth to the music.

plaf26

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:23 am »
Hi, Michael,

In addition to what I.Greyhound Fan says about the Fet Valve CF, what strikes me is the clarity.  This is the result of superior transient response.  Sounds start and stop when they should.  So do the silences.  Pace, rhythm and timing (PRT) are noticeably improved.  I never understood what those terms were all about until now. :o  Staccatos are really staccato.  Silences are really quiet.  I say again, you have to hear it to believe it!

plaf26

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2014, 06:17 am »
Let me elaborate on that PRT or PRAT a little further.  This may sound weird, but the other night I put on a record (I forget which, I've been playing so many) that I know well.  I was used to hearing it go dah-dah-dah-dah.  But for the first time I noticed it was really more like de-dah-de-dah.  It was probably always like that, I just didn't notice it before because everything else I'd listened to it on kinda mushed the sounds together just enough to hide the real rhythm.  Another noticeable thing is better ambience, that "hall" sound.  You can almost count the vibrations of bass drums and viols.  There's more razz in the razz-ma-tazz of horns.  What I used to think was a tendency for the image to wander around between the speakers was really the melody being handed off from one player to another.  It's easier to mentally follow a given instrument's melody without losing it in the crowd.  How's that?

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2014, 06:57 am »
Oh, yeah, plaf. That elaboration helps me more than a dozen "pro" reviews cuz you just explained it in really clear, easy to understand terms.  :thumb: Now I'll know what to listen for when I audition preamps ( or DACs, etc.).

Larry (IGF), you've been very helpful as well. Your input is very useful to me. You've got much more experience listening to different components than I'll garner in the next five years! I'll have to pass on the preamp you mentioned for sale in the other thread as I'm really spent out from this year's acquisitions plus the stock market really threw me for a loop this last month. Thankfully, my wife hasn't quite figured out how much I spent....yet. However, I very much want to audition Pass components.

Thank you.

Michael

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2014, 07:05 am »
Wait a minute. You two both live in MN?......I think I ought to visit my lil sis who lives in Shoreview next year. Spend a week at her house, pester Frank at his shop, and barge in on you two.  Heck, I could drive down to Rochester to see how it has changed since 1987. That was the last time I saw it.

Small world.

S Ferraro

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2014, 01:42 pm »
Thank to everybody for your feedback. The CF it is ! Plaf26, I'd like to hear about your audition of the Philharmonic 3's.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2014, 02:03 pm »
Plaf26, I'd like to hear about your audition of the Philharmonic 3's.

+1

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:27 pm »
Wait a minute. You two both live in MN?......I think I ought to visit my lil sis who lives in Shoreview next year. Spend a week at her house, pester Frank at his shop, and barge in on you two.  Heck, I could drive down to Rochester to see how it has changed since 1987. That was the last time I saw it.

Small world.

Any time you want to visit, my door is open.   Shoreview is about 20-25 minutes away from Frank and I.  I live about 3 minutes from Frank.

I have a friend that has the FET preamp with a 400R, Magnepan 1.7's and a Wyred 4 Sound DSDse DAC-2.  The system is awesome.  He may be willing to let you come over and hear it.  Its a near field set up and the AVA gear sounds great because of its low volume dynamics.  The Wyred DAC is fantastic and I will be buying on in the next year.

plaf26

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2014, 05:04 am »
It was a very pleasant afternoon at Frank's auditioning the Phil 3's.  He made the mistake of handing me the remote.  I didn't break any windows or peel the wallpaper, but his and Mary's eardrums took a beating, I'm afraid.  I brought along some LP's and a CD which I know quite well.  They help me listen for telltale things: some hall ambience here; a noodling banjo way in the back there; a big bass drum, etc.  I'm used to my own listening room, so things always sound different at Frank's, and it's a little hard for me to adjust at first.  Another problem is that in my current setup I have an active subwoofer (Biro Kensington) which I've probably gotten used to having the bass turned up too much.  Dennis told me he designed the 3's to sound as much like the Maggies as possible but with deeper bass and less critical room positioning.  He's done an excellent job.  The bass is deeper than the Maggies alone and tighter and more well-defined than with the Kensington.  It's easier to count the ripples on the head of the bass drum.  His speakers have incredibly flat response across the audible spectrum, which is a remarkable achievement.  I'll probably pull the trigger on them soon.

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2014, 09:17 pm »
You won't regret it.  I have a pair of 3's as well as Magnepan 3.6's.  If I had to choose one over the other, it would be the Phils.  I've got three amps that I can interchange - a Fet Valve 600R, an Insight + 600 and a Pass X350.5.  I haven't hooked up the Insight yet as we moved a few months ago and I haven't set the system back up yet.

Minn Mark

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2014, 09:21 pm »
(deleted)