EE minimax Dac plus value

Bigfishhk

EE minimax Dac plus value
« on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:40 pm »
does anyone know what the typical selling price is? I have a unit, unmodded, value $1100. I will probably sell it soon.
 the blue power light does not come on. the rest of the lights do come on.

I asked Bill O Connell to replace the blue light and so I could wait for that light ot come in stock, or knock off $50 or so off the average price. It doesn't affect anything to not have the blue light work.

Might include a gently used  Mullard 12AU7 old stock (50's) tube.

Either way anyone know their approx  used value ? Is it in the 800 range?

thanks

Tom

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Re: EE minimax Dac plus value
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2014, 06:12 pm »
Looks like between 6-800 including the tube on the forums.  Maybe 699 for quickish sale on A-Gon.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2014, 06:58 pm »

I asked Bill O Connell to replace the blue light

Might include a gently used  Mullard 12AU7 old stock (50's) tube.

It's funny, but I purposely disabled the power light LED to reduce noise  :D

I recommend you pull out the tube and fit the Minimax Plus DAC with DEXA discrete op-amps all around and enjoy the stupendous sound quality this DAC provides.  In that configuration, I can't really think of a sub $5K DAC I would rather listen to..

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2014, 10:37 am »
Hi Jon,

I also have an Eastern Electric Dac Plus with Dexa discrete opamps installed but I haven't tried removing the tube.  Is it a noticeable improvement removing the tube from the dac?

Cheers Rod

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2014, 06:18 pm »
Hi Jon,

I also have an Eastern Electric Dac Plus with Dexa discrete opamps installed but I haven't tried removing the tube.  Is it a noticeable improvement removing the tube from the dac?

Cheers Rod
Yes. It is a big improvement. Easy to try, too.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2014, 11:58 am »
Hi Jonbee,

I'll give it a go then.  It would be a bit disappointing if I removed the tube as I replaced the original one that came with the EE dac.  The Dexa Opamps are pretty special and the improvement in SQ is easily heard.

Cheers Rod

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:02 pm »
Removing the tube has it's pluses and minuses. You gain a bit of clarity and a tighter bass but lose some of the three dimensionality. I prefer it with a Radiotechnique 6189 (better bass and clarity than a Mullard). IMS, IMO.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2014, 06:47 pm »
Removing the tube has it's pluses and minuses. You gain a bit of clarity and a tighter bass but lose some of the three dimensionality. I prefer it with a Radiotechnique 6189 (better bass and clarity than a Mullard). IMS, IMO.

Are you talking about listening to the tubed output vs. solid state output? 
I was talking about listening to solid state output, but with tube removed to lessen the burden on power supply. 

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:42 pm »
Yes, actually I was.  :oops:  Although I don't think that was the comparison that Rod was considering.

As you said, removing the tube does improve the SS output, in the ways I described above, though I don't see why someone would buy an EE to use in SS mode. By then I don't understand why anyone would buy a SS DAC to begin with.  :lol:   :thumb: