RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)

srclose

Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff....
« Reply #40 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:12 pm »
What about sensitivity?  Are the subs and amps the same as in the Super V?  That combination should be a killer!

Stephen

96db man!  :thumb:  Just one db down from your Super-V's, and the same bottom end as your Super-V's.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2012, 04:15 pm by Danny Richie »

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:14 pm »
And some of you are thinking, how do those Neo 10's work on their side? Two of them together like that make a 10" square just as if they were a single woofer. They don't play up high enough to have interference effects. It's just like having a pair of mid-bass drivers in a typical MTM design. So its like a MTM design with 10 woofers.

jn316

« Reply #42 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:20 pm »
Count me in as super-excited!  :hyper:

You da man, Danny

rockdrummer

« Reply #43 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:30 pm »
Already wondering how I'm going to build it with the tools I have.  hmmmmmmmmm

srclose

« Reply #44 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:31 pm »
Any guess as to the lowest power amp?  What kind of load will these present?  Tube friendly below 5W per channel?

Stephen

rockdrummer

« Reply #45 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:32 pm »
I assume this is a GR product.  Not a serenity product, right?
b

jparkhur

« Reply #46 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:32 pm »
>>>>> not sure if this is one of those that will be a kit?   Danny?  This is Danny's other company association thus I am cautiously assuming that this is built only... Now, that said, I am sure Danny will provide some type of Neo 10 build of his own for kit sale?????

JP

ebag4

« Reply #47 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:35 pm »
I hope he figures a way to make this a kit.  I am already converting my V1s in my mind!!

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:42 pm »
Guys, see this post: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109918.msg1133271#msg1133271

These will not be available as kits.

ebag4

« Reply #49 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:46 pm »
Guys, see this post: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109918.msg1133271#msg1133271

Bummer, Oh well, I guess I will have to limp along with my V1s :lol:.  Any plans for a narrower version of this speaker using the 8" servo units?

Also wondering, were the 4 BG Neo 10 panels used to increase sensitivity?  Curious why 4 were used as opposed to 2.  Looking at the Neo 3 and Neo 10 specs the efficiency appeared to be very close when measured as singles, with the 2 Neo 10 panels in that close proximity I assume there is an increase in sensitivity of 3(?)dB.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:55 pm »
Price?

richidoo

« Reply #51 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:56 pm »
That is a clever design! Congrats.  I have only heard the tweeter in a BG floorstander speaker, it sounds nice. Never heard the 10".  The CNC work on the baffle and frame is beautiful!

They don't play up high enough to have interference effects.

Thanks for mentioning that. My first reaction was concern about vertical lobing, but thinking about it should not be a problem, if as you say they don't play high enough. I'm sure they play high enough for the top Neo10 to interfere with the bottom Neo10, but the inner drivers will lessen the effect by filling the nulls in. Am I far off?

How is the distortion of Neo10 at high SPL? Of course sharing 4 reduces the distortion. But can they play really loud classical music (low frequency brassy dissonance) like a high end 4 way cone speaker - without breaking up, hardening tone, or dynamically compressing? These look promising! I look forward to learning the msrp.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #52 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:21 pm »
The CNC work on the baffle and frame is beautiful!

Thanks richidoo, but that was all done by hand. :D

CNC will be used from here on out though.

Best,

Ruben

richidoo

« Reply #53 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:27 pm »
Wow... you got some skills brother!

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:27 pm »
Any plans for a narrower version of this speaker using the 8" servo units?

There is a smaller version with a single Neo 10, one Neo 3, and three 8" servo subs all on an open baffle. 93db sensitivity.

Also wondering, were the 4 BG Neo 10 panels used to increase sensitivity?  Curious why 4 were used as opposed to 2.

Two units can only be wired in series or in parallel. So the impedance would be either 16 ohms or 4 ohms. 4 ohms doesn't make them tube amp friendly. Four of them in series parallel wiring gets them back to 8 ohms and increases sensitivity to 96db.  Sharing the load with that many Neo 10's also reduces their work load to 1/4 that of a single driver.

Thanks for mentioning that. My first reaction was concern about vertical lobing, but thinking about it should not be a problem, if as you say they don't play high enough. I'm sure they play high enough for the top Neo10 to interfere with the bottom Neo10, but the inner drivers will lessen the effect by filling the nulls in. Am I far off?

Drivers have off axis narrowing based on the width of the diaphragm. This is exactly the same as the comb filtering effect of using two drivers covering the same range. Anytime a driver is playing a wavelength that is shorter than the width of its diaphragm then it beams, or losses off axis response.

So basically if you stand one Neo 10 up vertically then it has the same vertical off axis response as two Neo 10's on their side because the height is the same.

How is the distortion of Neo10 at high SPL? Of course sharing 4 reduces the distortion. But can they play really loud classical music (low frequency brassy dissonance) like a high end 4 way cone speaker - without breaking up, hardening tone, or dynamically compressing? These look promising!

They play really loud very easily and very cleanly.

jn316

« Reply #55 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:38 pm »
There is a smaller version with a single Neo 10, one Neo 3, and three 8" servo subs all on an open baffle. 93db sensitivity.

Bingo! I think there will be a LOT of interest in that one...smaller, less expensive, but still w/ the Neo 10 attributes and still very efficient. Oh, and the bass should still be pretty incredible!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #56 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:00 pm »
 :drool:

Ok, I have to stop as my keyboard is shorting out!   :o

ebag4

« Reply #57 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:08 pm »

Two units can only be wired in series or in parallel. So the impedance would be either 16 ohms or 4 ohms. 4 ohms doesn't make them tube amp friendly. Four of them in series parallel wiring gets them back to 8 ohms and increases sensitivity to 96db.  Sharing the load with that many Neo 10's also reduces their work load to 1/4 that of a single driver.

Thanks for the replies Danny, much appreciated.  I should have recognized the impedence issue.

It sounds like you have a real winner on your hands, congratulations!

Best,
Ed

SoCalWJS

« Reply #58 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:11 pm »
Wow....just beautiful Danny! Looking forward to seeing/hearing them at the show. Have you decided on amps and other associated equipment yet? Noticed the big custom Dodd Mono Blocks in the pictures - how 'bout bringing those along?  :icon_twisted:

You should indeed be competitive with the biggest of the boys at the show.

When will the new Serenity Acoustics be available?

Any idea of when your new kits will be coming out?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:17 pm »
When will the new Serenity Acoustics be available?

Orders can be taken right now. Looks like this will get kicked off in a big way. It sounds like (I still need to confirm) Serenity Acoustics will be willing to let the first six pairs go for half of retail to some select individuals willing to put these into some good systems and allow them to be heard. So there are some really good deals on the table.

Any idea of when your new kits will be coming out?

New drivers from Peerless is on the water and should arrive in port about the same time that the longshoremen are planning their strike. First one thing then another. Other pieces involving the new kits are in place.