active subwoofer question

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
active subwoofer question
« on: 1 Jan 2010, 01:09 pm »
Jason
I have 2 V3 amps and a P9 preamp. I would like to add an active subwoofer which would require the pre amp out (L&R) to go to the sub and then out of the sub to the V3's then to the main speakers. I know that the Nuforce amps utilise the speakers as part of the "chain" in providing feedback to the amps. If I set up a sub as described above will this "confuse" the amps and will it cause a loss of the detail etc on the mainspeakers. I would like to pull some of the lower freq. away from my main speakers as they have a small woofer. Any suggestions welcomed

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: active subwoofer question
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2010, 11:41 am »
If I understand you correctly:
preamp -> sub -> amp -> speaker

That's ok. The amp has feedback on the speaker terminal, not the input to the amp.
Your sub probably passing the preamp signal to the amp.
Alternatively, you can use a good Y cable to send the preamp output to the sub and the amp.
Just make sure you don't tap the speaker output of the amp to the sub.

Jason

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2010, 05:24 pm »
Jason
thanks for the guidance. Would it be better to use the bal P9 outputs to the sub and the RCA to the amps so that you dont need to either go thru the sub back to the amps or use a y csplitter. I know that in the P9 there is no gain difference in the balance vs unbalanced outputs???

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:14 am »
Yes.  Use the 2nd set of P9 output to drive the sub would be very good idea, also keeping the phase consistent.