Audiosector USB DAC -- my new DAC--(and comparison)

PSP

Re: Audiosector USB DAC -- my new DAC--(and comparison)
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2008, 08:53 pm »
I've got an Audiosector SPDIF DAC on the way.  Glad to hear that you like the USB version. :D

Regarding break-in, my experience is based on Black Gate, Sonicap Platinum, and Mundorf Silver/Gold mods to Aspen AKSA and Life Force amps and the Aspen GK-1 preamp, so YMMV... but IME the break-in process can easily take a couple of hundred hours, often a lot more.  During the break-in period I let my system run 24/7 for week or two.  During that time I listen to music, but--whatever I'm hearing--I expect things to have changed by the next time I can listen.

A few times, it's been absolutely heartbreaking... one night the music will be absolutely wonderful (sweet highs that go on forever, detailed but not etched, punchy bass) but the next night it's all gone schreechy, or way recessed.  I'm not saying that this will happen to you, but if it does, just back off and let it cook until it settles down... no celebration, no doom, just be patient.

Off the soapbox...

Good luck,
Peter

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:09 pm »
quote from Peters thread in DIYAudio...(hope this does not constitute double-posting or some other no-no...)

question from owner/builder:

'as it burns in does the sound change any?'

Peters' reply:

"The DAC sounds good right from the beginning, first hour is always most critical for warming up. It will further improve over the weeks though, keep it on all the time."

"The design has been favourably accepted by everybody, here's some comments I received from the most happy customers:

It is the best DAC in my system ever! Beats two Wadia players, an Audio Note Dac Kit 1.1 with all BG and AN copper in oil caps and tantalum resistors, Bel Canto 2.o and Cal Audio Alpha, using the cheapest interconnect ever, between my modded TL-2x and the DAC.

The units are terrific. I've been running them in for only a few hours now. But man I'm blown away already. This is some really high end sounding ****! Excuse the languange.LOL

I'm already having a blast with how well the overtones are of Pianos and every other instrument that comes through. This Dac is excellent. It lets the music just flow. Everythings there..just more vivid than I've heard it. Separation is amazing with the little combo. It's a match made in heaven with my FTA-2000s. Honestly it's the most musical sounding setup I've ever owned. How's that for a first impression! And the damn things aren't broken in yet. Whatever your doing ..keep right on doing it...your definitely on the right track!

A friend of mine, who's very mysterious and don't want to say much, have built your DAC using AN silver caps, some other exotic parts and different PS. In the end he sold his Audio Note M3 DAC, which was upgraded to M5!!! He claims your DAC is better. 

I can't guarantee the authenticity of the last quote though"

MarkR7

« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:23 pm »
I am in the process of building one of these Audiosector USB DACs for myself.  I already received all the parts, including an attenuator that I will incorporate in the build so I can forego using a preamp.  Hope to have it built in a couple of weeks or so.  Looking at all the feedback posted re: the DAC, I am really looking forward to running it in my system!  A cheap, and hopefully stunning, entry into the world of computer-based (Macbook Pro) audio.

I will post impressions once broken in an played for a while.

viggen

« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:28 pm »
Peter emailed me and explained that burn in is only critical during the first few hours.  But, others have claimed burn in isn't complete until after 30 days.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:29 pm »
Does anyone know the output specs, voltage, impedance, for this DAC?

MarkR7

« Reply #25 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:31 pm »
2v out, not sure of the output Z.

Does anyone know the output specs, voltage, impedance, for this DAC?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2008, 01:08 am »
Output impedance is 2700 ohms. Output voltage is 2V RMS at 0db. The output impedance can be made lower but that will also lower the output voltage. Peter used a simple resistor for the current to voltage conversion. The resistors are high quality Rikens. With a 20K input impedance for the amplifier of choice, there really should be no problems with high frequency rolloff. That being said, I know fellas who have amps with a 10K input impedance and it works just fine.

As far as burn in, I thought the DAC sounded fantastic right after I finished building it. Its got a ton of "PRAT" = Pacing, Rhythm, Acceleration and Timing. A foot tapper for sure. I'm sure it broke in even more, but this is one design that didn't have a break in merry go round to deal with. I say that because a lot of fellas say that is true with units that employ Black Gate capacitors. In fact the output capacitor on this unit is a Black Gate NX type, but it sure doesn't sound like an electrolytic. Take it for what its worth, I am no expert on break in.

Best,
Anand.

viggen

« Reply #27 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:21 am »
Yes, I am experiencing mucho PRAT with the Audio Sector DAC since the first moment I plugged it in.  I've only experienced slightly more PRAT in my system when I had an analog system and only after I've upgraded the phono pre's PSU (Trichord) and and the motor's transformer (Origin Live).

It's been about 48 hours, and I haven't experienced any noticeable burn in.

I just replaced a PC from 47 OTA to Eichmann.  It sounds like a different DAC now.  Much more romantic sounding, mellow, airy, relaxed, textured... big difference. 

This is not the first time I preferred the Eichmann over the OTA on a component.  However, I always end up going back to the OTA after awhile.  But, this is time, the difference between the two power cables on this DAC is not subtle at all.

Folsom

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:19 pm »
I have one on the way (ordered before Paypal incident, and before I knew the funding processes was going to be mutilated by UPS).

My BlackGate experience.

First I put them in a Sharp SD-EX111 and the initial sound was better. I did not keep track of the hours. However after a long enough time to know for sure that I had reached the same amount of hours as my SqueezeBox took, I can confirm the same changes happened.

My Squeezebox3 has a couple in it. At 200hrs it had a very nice improvement and became vesy listenable. However Wayne stated some people, perhaps including him, felt that around 400-600hrs is where it really finished. In both devices my experience goes that at 200hrs you get a nice change, and at 400-600hrs it finalizes into a very relaxed, super smooth state that does not make you think electrolytic at all.

PSP

« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2008, 09:35 pm »
My Audiosector SPDIF DAC arrived, went together smoothly, and is now playing. 

During burn-in, I've listened to the same CD (Vanska conducting the Minnesota Orchestra, Beethoven's 3rd Symphony on BIS) at close to the same level throughout.  Initially, at 2-5 hours, the DAC sounded very nice, but a bit detailed and bright.  Next day (24 hours) = "very, very nice".  At 48 hr it sounded very recessed, almost muffled.  At 72 and 96 hours it's sounding more and more  musical, tonally balanced, and detailed without going overboard.  Now (last night), I'm thinking that this is an exceptionally nice DAC.  I feel like "they're here", and there is no listener fatigue at all.  At this point, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and expect to buy the USB version when I eventually move to a Mac and iTunes based system.

It's likely that the sonic character if the DAC will wander around for another 2-3 weeks before settling down, but IME with other Black Gate mods these changes are not likely to be large.

For burn-in, when I'm not listening to music, I run CDP --> Audiosector DAC --> preamp and rest of system turned off

I use the Burn-in track (track #9) from the Reference Recordings XLO test disk ( http://www.referencerecordings.com/SAMPLE.asp ).  This track may (or may not) accelerate the burn-in process.

I'll post my impressions in a month or two when the DAC reaches steady state and I've had a chance to form an opinion.

Peter

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2008, 07:01 pm »
My Audiosector SPDIF DAC arrived, went together smoothly, and is now playing. 

During burn-in, I've listened to the same CD (Vanska conducting the Minnesota Orchestra, Beethoven's 3rd Symphony on BIS) at close to the same level throughout.  Initially, at 2-5 hours, the DAC sounded very nice, but a bit detailed and bright.  Next day (24 hours) = "very, very nice".  At 48 hr it sounded very recessed, almost muffled.  At 72 and 96 hours it's sounding more and more  musical, tonally balanced, and detailed without going overboard.  Now (last night), I'm thinking that this is an exceptionally nice DAC.  I feel like "they're here", and there is no listener fatigue at all.  At this point, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and expect to buy the USB version when I eventually move to a Mac and iTunes based system.

It's likely that the sonic character if the DAC will wander around for another 2-3 weeks before settling down, but IME with other Black Gate mods these changes are not likely to be large.

For burn-in, when I'm not listening to music, I run CDP --> Audiosector DAC --> preamp and rest of system turned off

I use the Burn-in track (track #9) from the Reference Recordings XLO test disk ( http://www.referencerecordings.com/SAMPLE.asp ).  This track may (or may not) accelerate the burn-in process.

I'll post my impressions in a month or two when the DAC reaches steady state and I've had a chance to form an opinion.

Peter

Peter,

Does the kit come with all the parts shown in the image on the first page of this thread?  When I go to the Audiosector website, I can't find any information on the DAC. . .is there another site?

Thanks!!

PSP

« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2008, 03:33 am »
Catastrofe,
E-mail peter daniel for specifics at phdaniel@sympatico.ca.  The audiosector includes parts (very good parts!), but Peter sells the DAC in a number of configurations:  with/without an enclosure, with/without an optical interface, etc.  Discuss options with him, tell him what you want, he'll quote you a price.

The kit comes with parts, a PCB (very high quality), a schematic, and pictures of the completed DAC.  It's up to you to put it together correctly.  It took me maybe 3 hours, but I work very slowly. 

Good luck,
Peter

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2008, 05:18 pm »
Thanks Peter.

Does anyone have comments on how the Audiosector sounds compared to some of the "mid-priced" ($1.5K - $2.5K) DACs on the market.  There are quite a few well received/respected units out there; Bryston, Van Alstine, Red Wine Audio, Cullen Modified DLIII, Upcoming PS Ultralink.

Folsom

« Reply #33 on: 14 Nov 2008, 01:18 am »
Thanks Peter.

Does anyone have comments on how the Audiosector sounds compared to some of the "mid-priced" ($1.5K - $2.5K) DACs on the market.  There are quite a few well received/respected units out there; Bryston, Van Alstine, Red Wine Audio, Cullen Modified DLIII, Upcoming PS Ultralink.

You know some depend on taste, the Red Wine Audio unit has tubes so it may be judged on completely different set of rules.

I doubt the common stuff you will find in Stereophile will come close. Peter's DAC according to him and others spank a lot of high end things like Mark Levinson etc.

Brad

« Reply #34 on: 14 Nov 2008, 01:34 am »
I just received my Peter Daniel SPDIF DAC today. :thumb:
Should have time to get it in the system and burning in tomorrow.

Peter was great to deal with. 8)

pardales

« Reply #35 on: 14 Nov 2008, 02:16 am »
Glad you are all enjoying the Audiosector. It really is a great DAC.  :thumb:

wilsynet

« Reply #36 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:59 pm »

With respect to the DACs that you've listed, I own both the AudioSector USB and the Red Wine Isabellina.

When paired with the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Integrated with 20Kohm input impedance, the RWA Isabellina has a lower noise floor, is more dynamic, and more transparent.  The AudioSector is more romantic.  Both are very musical, and neither is edgy or bright in any way whatsoever.

With an active preamp like, say, the Modwright SWL 9.0SE in the chain, to my ears the differences diminish, but the Isabellina remains clearly the better DAC.  The premium that the Isabellina commands is not wasted, but the AudioSector is *very* competitive, and remains one of my favourite DACs.

In short, the AudioSector isn't as good, but it's very very good indeed.

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
« Reply #37 on: 14 Nov 2008, 08:13 pm »
hmmm...

$2500 for Isabellina

$280 for Peter Daniel USB

pardales

« Reply #38 on: 14 Nov 2008, 08:59 pm »
hmmm...

$2500 for Isabellina

$280 for Peter Daniel USB

That is why, these days, I am simply not willing to spend over $750 on a DAC. There is such good stuff to be had in that price range I just do not feel it necessary to spend more than that. Digital has evolved quickly, and I would say momentously in the last 3-5 years -- redbook has finally come of age. 

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2008, 03:51 pm by pardales »

Ricey20

« Reply #39 on: 16 Nov 2008, 12:25 am »
has anyone compared the Audiosector with a MHDT Paradisea+ or Havana? Debating between these but not sure yet.