Help! No Sound being Output

pjnad

Help! No Sound being Output
« on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:44 pm »
Hi all,
Turned on my system and nothing...everything is powered up, no cables disconnected, no knobs turned...
If I put my ear up to the speaker I can hear the music very faintly, so I guess that a signal is going through but not being amplified?
I have a Krell KSA150 amp and the MW SWL 9.0 Signature pre. A transport is feeding the signal to an Eastern Electric Dac...which I tried bypassing and running the output from the cd player into the pre...still nothing.
Any ideas?
Paul

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Help! No Sound being Output
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:45 pm »
Sounds like either a tube section is not powered on, a mute switch is clicked up, or an input is not selected (slight crosstalk to next input might be what is being heard)...my $.02

pjnad

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:48 pm »
the tube section in the pre? what would cause that?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:55 pm »
updated my response.  There is a 45 second muting that Dan puts in..maybe the muting relay is bad...but my first guess is that you have one of the switches (mute, ht bypass) accidentally engaged.  Turn down the volume before testing.  :)

pjnad

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2012, 06:02 pm »
thanks for the suggestions...but checked all of the above...nada.
the mute light does go off after the typical delay, I usually turn the volume up then. today nothing. i have tried to engage/disengage the mute...all other switches and controls are set properly, in fact nothing was touched since I listened last night except the power switch.
I tried running the inputs into something other than cd, still nothing... :scratch:

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2012, 06:06 pm »
Have you checked all your fuses?

pjnad

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2012, 06:15 pm »
no...but since everything is powered up...I guessed that the fuses were all okay?

Austin08

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2012, 07:16 pm »
Did you try to swap out the tubes in the preamp with spair tubes if you have any?

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2012, 07:37 pm »
Another thought.  You might have a bad IC or speaker cable.  I had a problem with my Oppo player once and had to change out the HDMI cable.  One would never guess that cables DO have a shelf life.

pjnad

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2012, 08:35 pm »
Just opened up the pre. changed the fuse for the heck of it, powers up okay.  my output tubes light up BUt the rectifier tube does not...swapped the tube, the replacement doesn't glow either. Now, I am kinda new to tubes but I believe that the tube should light, no?

milford3

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2012, 08:50 pm »
My preamp tubes do not glow.  Only the power tubes.  It all depends on the manufacturer of the tubes.  You are racking my brain with your problem.  One day it's working, the next day it's not.  Sometime its best to step back, have a cup of coffee, and rethink the whole setup. Maybe this:  Disconnect everything and reconnect and see what happens.  If this does not solve the issue then something in the audio chain is bad.  Hope this helps you.

pjnad

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2012, 08:59 pm »
My preamp tubes do not glow.  Only the power tubes.  It all depends on the manufacturer of the tubes.  You are racking my brain with your problem.  One day it's working, the next day it's not.  Sometime its best to step back, have a cup of coffee, and rethink the whole setup. Maybe this:  Disconnect everything and reconnect and see what happens.  If this does not solve the issue then something in the audio chain is bad.  Hope this helps you.

thanks and sorry for the conundrum on a saturday afternoon  :roll:
It is the power tube that is not glowing...my output tubes are. i was hoping that I had at least narrowed down the issue...

milford3

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2012, 09:09 pm »
Check to see if the socket(s) are okay.

AB

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2012, 09:23 pm »
I cannot check my SWLP to know for sure but if I remember correctly, there is a fuse for the rectifier. Have you looked for one?
My SWLP has an outboard PSU and this is where the fuse lives. I am not sure about the single box SWL.
I will look through some pics I have of Dan's gear to see if I can spot its location in the single box.

pjnad

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm »
already checked the fuse...replaced it in fact. both fuses power up the pre. I did have a bad fuse once and the pre wouldn't even power on...

It seems to me that the signal is not being amplified, whether it's the pre or the amp I don't know, and I don't have any other gear to swap in.
as I mentioned previously there is music that can be heard very faintly with my ear up to the speaker, so I guess the signal is passing from the cd to the dac ok, from the dac to the pre,and then to the amp. It's just not being amplified somewhere....

Charles Xavier

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm »
Check the fuses in the amp

pjnad

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:16 pm »
Check the fuses in the amp
It's an older Krell...I've never had it open...I think that there might be a fuse holder on the back...round white circle that says 20.
Could it be a fuse even though it powers up?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:18 pm »
It's an older Krell...I've never had it open...I think that there might be a fuse holder on the back...round white circle that says 20.
Could it be a fuse even though it powers up?

Yes

pjnad

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm »
okay, thanks. I'll see about getting it open and I'll check...not going to be easy though... :scratch:

pjnad

« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2012, 11:30 pm »
opened up the krell ...by taking the top cover off. wow! it's crazy busy inside...and the way it is set up, there are no visible fuses. what looks like it might be a fuse holder on the back cannot be accessed without taking the back panel off, but if it is a fuse in there, it must be a power fuse as it is right on top of the iec inlet., and I do have power, so I'm thinking that it is okay.  :(