Khartago Fuse Upgrade?

LateApex

Khartago Fuse Upgrade?
« on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:44 am »
New Khartago owner here.  Excited to have it in the system and am enjoying it immensely.

One fun tweak that came to mind is dropping in some some "hifi" fuses.

Any feedback as to the value upgrading the fuses?  Do you need to do all four, or is there one or two that are where the most sonic gains can be found?

RDavidson

Re: Khartago Fuse Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:11 am »
A recent test by Roger Modjeski at Music Reference showed that there can be actual, measurable,  benefits to cleaning the ends of your normal stock fuses. Along with that, I'd go ahead and clean the fuse holders. Before tossing money around, definitely give the cleaning route (with a good product like Deoxit) a go.

But if your curiosity gets the better of you, I would urge you to at least get fuses that meet electrical testing standards (ie are UL Listed, etc). Furutech and I believe Isoclean both are UL Listed.  There may be others, but HiFi Tuning fuses are not. I'd steer clear of them.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:16 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127160.0

Despite the vehement opposition I recommend trying them. I'd probably go with Furutech. Hopefully it will sound a little cleaner, and with better dynamics.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:21 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127160.0

Despite the vehement opposition I recommend trying them. I'd probably go with Furutech. Hopefully it will sound a little cleaner, and with better dynamics.

The opposition is mostly associated with lack of objective proof (of affectiveness) and also that manufacturers (HiFi Tuning) have suggested their fuses be used in circuits that are not compatible with them (ie tube protection circuts). With some of these things, I think it's a good policy to keep an open mind......but also be reasonable and cautious.  Do your homework.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:55 am »
I was referring specifically to the idea that fuses can't make an audible difference. I think it's possible.  :)

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2014, 04:11 am »
I was referring specifically to the idea that fuses can't make an audible difference. I think it's possible.  :)

Right. I think we're on the same page. As I said, just cleaning the fuses should be step 1. If this makes a perceivable difference, it might be worth looking to some of the good (and at the very least, safe) fuse choices like Furutechs. BUT, before spending money on fuses, I'd get everything else dialed-in. Fuses can be like adding a bit more icing on the cake. I wouldn't put them ahead of room acoustics, or cables, or power distribution, for instance.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2014, 04:15 am »
Right. I think we're on the same page. As I said, just cleaning the fuses should be step 1. If this makes a perceivable difference, it might be worth looking to some of the good (and at the very least, safe) fuse choices like Furutechs. BUT, before spending money on fuses, I'd get everything else dialed-in. Fuses can be like adding a bit more icing on the cake. I wouldn't put them ahead of room acoustics, or cables, or power distribution, for instance.

Hi R.
Good points.
 :thumb:

Guy 13

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2014, 04:32 am »
In the Khartago,  I tried several different fuses,  and found both,  improvements as well as sidesteps....more importantly,  as with everything else, it should be judged by one's individual system...different tastes, different resolution, different level of system  = different results.....

As for me,  it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  to overpriced in most cases,  but even though I'm on the fence, and if you'd have to push me for an answer,  I'd reluctantly say go for it....but only if you have a money back guarantee..........

germay0653

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2014, 09:30 pm »
Klaus,

If the fuses are changed do you recommend re-biasing the amp?

Oystein

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:08 pm »
I changed the fuses in my Khartago to Industrial Grade ceramic SIBA fuses.
I believe that the sand filling inside the ceramic damps vibrations.
The conductivity might be equal to the glass type which were installed standard but cleaned the fuse ends and holders prior to mounting them.
I have not done A/B testing but the low price for such fuses is hardly an excuse not to try them.

Oystein

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:13 pm »
Klaus,

If the fuses are changed do you recommend re-biasing the amp?

I did not re-bias the amp.
As long as the voltage drop over the fuse is the same no need for re-bias.
If you realise that the bias current is measured by a 20 mV drop over a 0,33 ohm resistor (the white power block resistors) we are talking about 60 mA per transistor array.

werd

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2014, 04:58 am »
In the Khartago,  I tried several different fuses,  and found both,  improvements as well as sidesteps....more importantly,  as with everything else, it should be judged by one's individual system...different tastes, different resolution, different level of system  = different results.....

As for me,  it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  to overpriced in most cases,  but even though I'm on the fence, and if you'd have to push me for an answer,  I'd reluctantly say go for it....but only if you have a money back guarantee..........

Nice recommendation from a manufacturer  :thumb:.  They seem over-priced but would we have decent ones if they went 3 for $5?

They sound to me like an extension of cables.  I am really surprised cable manufactures have not jumped all over this

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2014, 05:09 am »
fuse voltage drop is in mv,you need volts to make sound sound different... :lol:
by the way cleaning fuse wont make a difference... :green:

werd

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2014, 05:30 am »
fuse voltage drop is in mv,you need volts to make sound sound different... :lol:
by the way cleaning fuse wont make a difference... :green:

You sir are dead wrong on fuses (And). Cleaning will make a difference especially cables prongs and fuses. Blowing out dust in IEC sockets etc. Who are you to decide what gets amplified and what doesn't?   :nono: Just because you do not like the answer doesn't make it so..  :lol: Don't worry you will live.