ABT charger issue

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
ABT charger issue
« on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:54 am »
Guys,

We had a battery pack come back to us partially melted and distended.  He had a UL certified "Virtue" branded ABT charger from China.  I naturally freaked out and Gary has been doing some testing.  This note will be going out to battery charger customers tomorrow.  I hope nobody overheats their batteries and we're of course doing something about it.

The good news is that if your charger is bad, we're going to send you a Soneil free.  If not, we'll upgrade you to the Soneil below cost, $30 + shipping.  This may take a bit of time to figure get done.  Please do the test described below and take precautions, ie. unplug your charger if you're going out of town. 

Seth

Dear Customer,

*** Please check your charger function to avoid possible battery melt-down ***

Last week I was notified by a customer that his SLA battery kit using the blocky ABT charger (some of them have the Virtue logo on them), overcharged.  The customer noticed a strange smell and found the charger chugging away when it should have been trickling.  The batteries heated up and began to expand visibly.  Fortunately, the customer was home, disconnected the unit and no damage occurred.

This kind of melt-down is not good and not something we anticipated with a UL listed charger that we sourced from Powerstream.com and then from the Chinese manufacturer directly. 

Since hearing of this problem, we tested our existing charger stock and found that some units did not seem to drop from full to trickle charge as they should.  This is particularly disconcerting since we advised customers to leave the charger charging continuously.

We would like to you test your charger.  If it tests “bad” please discontinue use immediately and notify us please.  If this happens, we will send you a free Soneil charger (valued $79 + shipping).  All battery kit customers, including those that received non-defective ABT chargers, may upgrade to the Soneil using this $50 coupon code: DODD-ABT-UPGRD.  The new Soneil charger, terminated for your wire harness, can be found athttp://store.virtueaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DODD%2DSONEIL%2D28v%2D240x%2D1

Moving forward, I am discontinuing the ABT charger and raising the kit price to $179 so that we can offer Soneil standard.  Please contact Cami Terpstra (cami@virtueaudio.com) to handle all transactions related to this upgrade offer.

Very sincerely,

Gary Dodd

Charger test

If you are leaving the charger connected all the time, turn off the amplifier and make sure the amp goes green and that there is no temperature rise on the batteries. If you run the batteries down and then connect the charger make sure that it is red during the charging process, and that there is no temp rise on the batteries. After some amount of time has passed (5-8 hours if fully depleted) the light should go green and stay green indicating a full charge. At no time during the charging process should the batteries become hot!

If the charger never goes green or flashes read and green and/or makes noise, we suspect a faulty charger.  Please shut off the charger and DO NOT use it any longer.

« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2010, 02:14 pm by virtue »

se-riously

Re: ABT charger issue
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2010, 05:06 am »
Interesting that Powerstream no longer stocks the original charger, and now stocks the PST-A100-24 with alligator clips.

wsturner

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2010, 03:43 pm »
FWIW...I have been using the Soneil charger - since the ONE.2 days - and it has been flawless.

After reading suggestions, on this forum, I started leaving the charger plugged in all the time. The batteries are cool, and the green light is the only thing I ever see.

Scott

dboulet

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:28 am »
How do we know if we have the charger in question, is "ABT" actually written on it somewhere? Is there a specific model number that we should look out for?

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2010, 06:14 pm »
The one that is here says Powerstream and works with no issues.

brother love

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2010, 08:07 pm »
The one that is here says Powerstream and works with no issues.

Ditto here.  I've had batteries & Powerstream A100-24 charger for 4 mos. now. No problemos.

I do turn the Sensation "off" at the back panel switch overnite to give the trickle charger a respite.

I also unplug the battery charger when gone for couple days or more.  Just a good common practice in my book.

vvvvv   Thanks se-riously,  I missed your earlier post w/ additional details.  Good to know.   vvvv
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2010, 10:04 am by brother love »

se-riously

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2010, 07:13 am »
Ditto here.  I've had batteries & Powerstream A100-24 charger for 4 mos. now. No problemos.

The A100-24 is Powerstream's replacement for the 3PX0-24, which has been discontinued.  The 3PX0-24 is the one that could be problematic per post #1.