Lucid White Speaker Line

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Lucid White Speaker Line
« on: 25 Sep 2012, 04:07 am »
Friends,

We're going to do something very strange next week: launch a non-traditional speaker line. 

It's strange for many reasons... among them that:

• many of our partners make speakers (and we would rather not compete with them)
  • we're about to refresh our electronics line
  • our warehouse is mostly shut-down

But sometimes you don't choose opportunity; opportunity chooses you. 

Here's a bit of history.

As many of you know, Danny Richie was a "hired gun" for AV123 who really put their speakers on the map.  When AV123 did its belly-flop, suppliers around the world were sitting on some great "Rocket" drivers and knowing how to use them right, Danny bought up excess inventory.  Around the same time, our trusted supplier Jeff Keyes at Lucid Acoustics (he made all the exotic tops for Sensation/Piano) let me know that his wood-shop had extra capacity.  In fact, he had started to make caskets (yes) just to keep the CNC spinning. 

Despite wasting a small fortune trying to build speakers in 2005-2008 (we still have piles of drivers), I called Danny and asked if we could team up to produce something unusual that would offer a virtuous value proposition and which we could use as a vehicle for putting those drivers to work and keeping Jeff's shop busy.   Jeff did not want to be in sales and Danny prefers the "arms dealer" business model to finished speakers... it would be my job to sell and warranty these things.

We had talked about line arrays before (I had prototyped a 14 driver "Alexander Grand" in 2006 and Danny liquidated our Eminence 12" drivers) and Danny was excited about the omni concept that AV123 had prototyped but failed to put into production.   We settled on a 3-speaker line anchored by an unusual "omni" MtM and flanked by a more flexible bookshelf and a multi-use, acoustic suspension "center" channel having line-array dynamics.  I knocked out some two-tone CAD drawings and we started refining the design.

A year later, here they are.

The line looks and sounds better than expected.  They're great in piano finish but we decided to launch with black matte to keep costs down. 

We're calling them "Lucid" because they're made by Jeff of Lucid Acoustics", "White" which is the color of the "rocket" cones, and then the driver configuration... Mt, MtM, and MMtMM.   I might give them cooler names later on.  Remember, these are mid/high-frequency speakers that trade low-end for compactness and fast mid-bass.   MtM is an omni design that wants to be placed well AWAY from walls.  Danny will elaborate. 

Lucid White Mt and MMtMM

Lucid White MtM

The MMtMM has been designed for use at nearly any angle - floor, corner, under TV, ceiling, etc. although you will need to screw in serious hardware to float it off the ground.  The speaker is incredibly heavy.   You can buy one or two of these speakers; most people will use it as a center-channel.

Although this is very much a partnership and group-effort, they will be sold by Virtue, drop-shipped by Jeff.  Customer will pay shipping. These speakers are heavy.  Shipping will be expensive and by ground.   Build time will be around 1 week unless otherwise noted.

Until we run out of drivers, pricing will be very aggressive.  Our mutual customers have many pairs of speakers and we want to enable everyone two own at least one pair. 

Center MMtMM   $600/pair or $350 for one + shipping
MtM Omni                  $450/pair + shipping
Mt Omni                  $300/pair + shipping

ALSO, the first 20 customers will get 20% off.     Please PM me to get a discount code to apply next week when we list the speakers for sale at http://www.virtueaudio.com.

We'll allow you to specify exotic finishes but let me say up-front, each will be a custom build and it will be expensive (around $100-$200 per speaker).  Alternatively, we will sell unpainted speakers at a slight discount ($50/pair) so you can finish them yourself.

Shipping would be more expensive than the speakers themselves and these things are so heavy we cannot risk damage.  So with regrets, we will not accept international orders today.

Please use this thread to ask questions for Danny (and/or Jeff).   We'll post performance information below.

Seth

« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2012, 02:15 pm by virtue »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Lucid White Speaker Line
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2012, 04:17 am »

More pics...

MtM with glossy finish (upcharge)

Mt with glossy finish (upcharge)

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:13 am »
MTM    :thumb:   :drool: :drool: :drool:

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:15 am »
We're going to do something very strange next week: launch a non-traditional speaker line. 

You are full of surprises!!  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2012, 10:22 am »
Remind me again, what are those drivers, the speaker specifications, and what are they clones of (or sound like)?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2012, 11:00 am »
Good idea guys....based on the people involved, reputations they bring to the table not to mention awards they have, I bet they sound pretty darn good!!!!  LOL...good luck guys....wow!!! :thumb:

wsturner

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2012, 08:01 pm »
Has anyone listened to these yet? If so, how do they sound?

Also, what type of connectors are supported?

Thanks,
Scott

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2012, 08:11 pm »
They've got binding post cups to facilitate mounting against flat surfaces... standard hardware we are buying from Danny.

Danny and Jeff will comment on the sound soon...

Seth

shadowlight

« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2012, 08:13 pm »
Can the Mt be used as surround speakers or desktop speakers.  What are the dimensions?

DavidD

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2012, 08:49 pm »
Dimensions?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:27 am »
Here are some response curves.  We'll get dimensions shortly (my CAD files are inaccessible to me at the moment).  Those drivers are 5".

Mt

MtM

MMtMM

(to follow)

I've heard the center and it's awesome.  Jeff says the other two speakers sound great.  Frankly, I'm hoping several of you take a chance on these and post your impressions.  If you're one of the first 20 customers and you don't like the sound, I'll pay return shipping in the first 30 days for you to send them back to us.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:29 pm »
Hey guys,

Here are some cool things about these speakers. The response from these presents an exceptionally balanced power response. What I mean by that is that the combination of on axis and off axis responses are extremely even. Most speakers offer a fairly reasonable on axis response, but the off axis changes drastically and is often full of holes. These speakers were designed around the off axis response more so than the on axis response and what it takes to maintain a constant phase relationship of the drivers even in the extreme off axis. The results speak for themselves. They are simply amazing. I have seen no other speakers with off axis responses this consistent.

Here are measurements of the MTM. And yes, this is an Omni type design. This is the on axis response.

Not counting the drop off in the top end these are about +/-2db. Yes the energy in the top octave is down a little in the on axis. Think less bright sounding. But the high frequency energy is more projected into the room. So the in room response has less high frequency energy loss than typical speakers.

Now check this out.  :D  Each line represents an addition 10 degrees off axis. So we are at 0 (on axis), 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees off axis. Hardly any change in response.  :thumb:

It gets even better. These measurements are taken also at 1 meter but with each additional measurement made by moving the microphone up 4". This shows that the speaker actually gets even smoother in the vertical off axis.

hrosenba

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2012, 11:02 pm »
Hi Danny,
Are the MTM Omni's intended to be used with a subwoofer(s)? How is their bass performance if used for 2-channel stereo sans sub? What is the diameter of the mid-woofer cone?
Thanks,
Harvey

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2012, 11:53 pm »
 Hmmm. can you please be much more descriptive on the differences between the models (and why are they so heavy?). Also, they would look much cooler with Virtue Audio logo's.  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:42 am »
What is the diameter of the mid-woofer cone?

Those drivers are 5".

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:01 am »
Danny,

Thanks for the great explanations!  Do you have curves for the MMTMM as well?  I was missing those.

Each 5" driver weighs nearly 4 lbs.  It uses standard ferrite magnets, shielded.

Each MMTMM speaker weighs around 35 lbs, packed.  70 lbs per pair.

Seth

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:12 am »
Yes, more info is coming on the other models.

emac

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:35 am »
Danny's Omni designs are no joke and I really enjoy the X-Omni's and O-3's I own.  So, be interested in hearing how these sound.

Also, I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but didn't AV123 demo the equivalent of the Mt's at a GTG in NJ about 5 years ago?  Could have sworn they were used as surrounds in a system that used X-Statics, an X-Voce, and a MFW (or perhaps 2).  If I'm remembering right, they sounded very good as surrounds, and had a sound that later reminded me of how my X-Omni's sound as surrounds. 

shadowlight

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:20 am »
Danny's Omni designs are no joke and I really enjoy the X-Omni's and O-3's I own.  So, be interested in hearing how these sound.

Also, I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but didn't AV123 demo the equivalent of the Mt's at a GTG in NJ about 5 years ago?  Could have sworn they were used as surrounds in a system that used X-Statics, an X-Voce, and a MFW (or perhaps 2).  If I'm remembering right, they sounded very good as surrounds, and had a sound that later reminded me of how my X-Omni's sound as surrounds. 

Ed,

You are correct they were used as rear surrounds with xstatik, x-voce and 2-mfw15 and I believe they were called x-s but my memory is fuzzy :).  That is the reason for my question earlier about if they can be used for side and rear surrounds right against the wall.

Hopefully, someone (Seth/Danny/Jeff) will chime in and let us know how they will sound.  There is no way I can get them out 3' from the wall for side/rear surrounds.  For rear I might be able to get 12 to 18" but that is about it.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:26 am »
Hmmm. can you please be much more descriptive on the differences between the models (and why are they so heavy (...)
that they cannot ship to Canada?