A 2.2 with my "big" speakers.

Randy

A 2.2 with my "big" speakers.
« on: 18 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm »
I got my 2.2 about six months ago, I'd guess, and have used it primarily with a bedroom system with Monitor Silver RX-2 speakers, a great combination. Early on I tried the amp with my floor standing speakers in my main system, and the experiment wasn't a very satisfactory one. They didn't seem to have enough power to drive them adequately, but sounded okay, nothing special.  Six months later, last night in fact, I tried it again with the big speakers. Wow! What happened?  Not only did they seem to have more power than before, but the sound had been transformed. It now sounded wide open, smooth, with a lot of detail, and excellent bass.  Better in fact, than my normal 100 watt amp (a one time Stereophile rated Class A integrated).  All I can figure is that the 2.2 needed some break in time to sound its best.  (Make any sense?) It won't be going back to the bedroom any time soon.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2012, 03:33 pm by Randy »

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: A 2,2 with my "big" speakers.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm »
Batteries will make it even better if you don't have them...

50jess

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2012, 12:21 am »
What floorstanders are you using with the 2.2?

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:03 am »
What floorstanders are you using with the 2.2?

You probably never heard of them. Roman Audio Centurians. They use French Cabasse drivers with a crossover designed by Eric Alexander who now has his own speaker company called Tecton. He makes several models of high efficiency speakers. Roman Audio is defunct now, and has been for quite a few  years. A review is still online written by Wes Phillips. I may get a battery pack to use with the 2.2, but sometime later I plan to get a Sensation model which I've been thinking of doing for a long time, only I thought I needed new speakers first. Guess not if they have comparable power to the 2.2 which I think is the case.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2012, 12:46 pm »
The amps are all 44 watts at 8 ohms.

Batteries are a bit geeky but I am now a believer.  There is definitely a quality upgrade from the stock psu. Here is the spiel for batteries on the Virtue website  : "With high-sensitivity speakers, the battery power supply easily exceeds the performance of all other power supplies offered for this amp. The noise floor drops to nothing. Detail levels are greatly improved. The vocal region is smoother and more relaxed. Sound stage and imaging are also improved. This is a must have for the Virtue amps."

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2012, 03:27 pm »
I had a Red Wine amp for a while, power amp version, that I paired with a passive preamp. (I was desperate to get off the grid.) It sounded nice but couldn't play very loud. The battery amp teamed with a passive pre was not a good idea. Don't ask why I didn't try the Red Wine integrated version, because I don't remember.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:32 pm »
..... designed by Eric Alexander who now has his own speaker company called Tecton.

Tekton Design

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2012, 01:29 am »
Batteries will make it even better if you don't have them...

No, I don't have the battery power, but am ready to order. I assume you have them. Do they come with good instructions on how to implement? I am pretty helpless in technical matters.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:04 pm »
It's just a few wire to plug in.  I don't think it can be screwed up.  In case of need I am sure the good folks at Virtue will walk you through it.

Randy

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2012, 06:20 pm »
It's just a few wire to plug in.  I don't think it can be screwed up.  In case of need I am sure the good folks at Virtue will walk you through it.
I thought it came as a "kit' and you had to more or less put it together yourself. There's a photo on the website that's daunting with wires and other pieces laying in piles. It's described as the battery kit.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2012, 07:46 pm »
I would go with this definition- kit:  A set of articles or implements used for a specific purpose.   :D

It is just a charger plugged into batteries plugged into the amp.  Get the kit with the batteries included because the batteries must be plugged together.   They mention on the kit with the batteries included "This unit is "ready to run" and we will send you a US (115v) or European (220v) Soneil charger".

I bought mine used.  I just had to plug the wires in the appropriate places.  You really can't screw up.

There is no need to trust me.  E-mail or PM the guys at Virtue....

Randy

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2012, 08:35 pm »
I would go with this definition- kit:  A set of articles or implements used for a specific purpose.   :D

It is just a charger plugged into batteries plugged into the amp.  Get the kit with the batteries included because the batteries must be plugged together.   They mention on the kit with the batteries included "This unit is "ready to run" and we will send you a US (115v) or European (220v) Soneil charger".

I bought mine used.  I just had to plug the wires in the appropriate places.  You really can't screw up.

There is no need to trust me.  E-mail or PM the guys at Virtue....

Thanks. Seems pretty straight forward.

Randy

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2012, 10:28 pm »
I am dying waiting for the arrival of the battery power supply. Can't wait to give it a try. It is a stalking horse for the 901 I want to order.

Anybody know what a "3" will be like? Will it be a replacement for the 1.2 and 2.2 or for the Sensation models?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2012, 12:12 am »
Hey Randy...

THREE will be an update to 1 and 2.  It will be a while (maybe a long while) before I can afford to update Sensation.

THREE will be more powerful (Sensation was too, but we had to derate it to keep it stable).  It will have more features and fewer breakable parts.  It will also be modular -- you can change the headphone board yourself, for instance...

I've been saying what the THREE will and will not do for 3 years now...  We'll all have to wait and see at this point.  We're on our 5th prototype and if any of the last 4 were ready to go, you could buy one already ;-)

;-) Seth

Randy

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2012, 02:39 am »
Thanks, Seth. A more powerful Virtue amp sounds very enticing esp. since I only need one input. I am a CD listener only these days, but I am still not ruling out a Sensation.

classicjt2

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2012, 08:42 pm »
It will be a while (maybe a long while) before I can afford to update Sensation.

Why would anyone need a "new" Sensation? I'm still working on my "old" one.

Sensation M451, Mundorf Silver-in-Oil caps bypassing Mundorf M Supremes, Virtue Tenor cryo'd Teflon speaker hook-up wire, JT Dynamic power supply, fuse block removed, in-line fuse removed (not recommended), MIT bypass caps, Kimber PK-10 power cord, Red Wine Audio battery supply, combination of myrtle wood and steel ball feet, granite platform.

Still great, every single time I listen to it.

James
« Last Edit: 5 May 2012, 11:30 pm by classicjt2 »