WTL "House Sound" Compared

Plink

Re: WTL "House Sound" Compared
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:08 am »
In answer to roscoeiii's question, It's well over a year ago so can't give a lot of specifics, but I do feel more satisfied with the WTL.  I think the AS and VPI sounded very similar....Maybe high mass tables don't produce the sound I find most pleasing, but the rhythm and pace just wasn't there.  And I think the bass was a bit muddy at times clouding the midrange coherence.

Thanks for these comments.  Your outlook is very beneficial to me.  I have been considering a second table for a long time but don't want to spend money on something that will sound worse than my WTA (one of my best audio decisions).  I demoed a VPI Classic 4 but was interested in a Classic 3.  I have since moved on to considering a Rega or perhaps a reprinted Garrard.  But then I always come back to why get something that may sound worse than the Well Tempered. 

Wharf_Rat

« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2014, 11:53 am »
Did you have the same amplification with both the VPI and the Well Tempered?

For my demo, I merely swapped the cables at the back of the two tables - so everything downstream of the units was identical. Same cartridge model too, though two different units, of course.

drubin

« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:19 pm »
Wharf_Rat,

I know you didn't do a direct comparison, but I'm curious to know how you feel both the VPI and the WTL compare to your current Rega setup.

Dan

Wharf_Rat

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:36 pm »
Hi Dan,

It is hardly a fair comparison for the Rega brand, as mine was an entry level, lightly modded RP1. After having done the A/B with the Classic and Amadeus, then having swapped the Amadeus into my existing system using the same cart as was on the Rega (modest but perfectly serviceable Nagaoka MP-200 until I save pennies for an upgrade there), the main difference is that there is more of everything good, musically, and less of everything bad (motor noise, runaway bass resonance, electrical noise). What a treat to power up the Amadeus and hear nothing but inky silence before the needle touched down!

In terms of liveliness and open, engaging sound, I think even the Rega bested the VPI, though it had nothing approaching the level of refinement and poise of the Classic. Both the WTA and VPI pull more detail from the grooves, but I get the feeling that the VPI merely brought those details to my ears, while the WTA pulls me out of my head and into the music. Zoo versus safari. IMO, the WTA gives me all the involvement, engagement and joy of the Rega and close-to if not all the sheer detail/accuracy of the VPI in one package.

One difference that I was not prepared for (though should have been, having read enough and understood the different designs) in the switch from my Rega: the WTA is very much more sensitive to movement/vibration than the Rega. In my old, springy-floored house, the Rega was largely immune to all but the heaviest footfalls (tracking-wise), while with the WTA playing my dog can walk through the room and cause it to jump the groove! I plan to install a wall shelf as soon as I can which will hopefully alleviate this issue but this sensitivity surprised me. The Rega did amplify footfalls and room-borne vibration and resonance (which the WTA does not), but did not get pitchy or jump the grove as the WTA does. Not sure about the VPI as I never subjected it to my trampoline living room, but the WTA will not forgive my sloppy placement/floor deflection as my Rega did.

Hope that helps a little - Matt

drubin

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2014, 08:19 pm »
Thanks Matt. You do a great job of describing what you hear.

I love the natural, organic sound of my WTA. However, I am thinking about making a change in favor of a table that will be even easier for me and my wife to use day-in day-out even if I may have to sacrifice some sound quality [gulp]. I've wondered about VPI, Rega and Pro-ject, among others. The WTA, Project Xtension10, VPI Classic 1 and Rega RP8 are all around the same price. Based on your description, I think I'll rule out the VPI.

gagamut

« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:19 am »
if you give up your WTA,please consider  seriously :D

mick wolfe

« Reply #26 on: 27 Mar 2014, 06:17 pm »
Thanks Matt. You do a great job of describing what you hear.

I love the natural, organic sound of my WTA. However, I am thinking about making a change in favor of a table that will be even easier for me and my wife to use day-in day-out even if I may have to sacrifice some sound quality [gulp]. I've wondered about VPI, Rega and Pro-ject, among others. The WTA, Project Xtension10, VPI Classic 1 and Rega RP8 are all around the same price. Based on your description, I think I'll rule out the VPI.

All those tables are still manual in operation. You gain an arm-lift feature, but lose out sonically. Why not just buy a decent automatic turntable( lots of choices over at Amazon) and keep the Amadeus for serious listening.

roscoeiii

« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2014, 06:29 pm »
IIRC, there is an optional armlift available for the WTA.

roscoeiii

« Reply #28 on: 27 Mar 2014, 06:30 pm »
You could also get a Q-Up for the end of a record.

vortrex

« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2014, 06:35 pm »
Dan - none of those tables will compare in sound to the WTA.  I imagine you'll be sorely disappointed.  Maybe look into a Rock 7.  It sounds similar to the WTA, but on another level, in my experience.

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2014, 07:32 pm »
Don't know the other brands so well, but as some of you know, I upgraded from the WTA to a Rock 7, and moved up from a Rega 301 to an Audiomods, to a Moerch DP-6, then a DP-8.

SO, one clear advantage to the WTA design is that you don't have to worry about tonearm upgraditis.

drubin

« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:49 pm »
Thanks everybody. For the record (nyuck, nyuck) I'm not looking for an automatic TT. I find the WTA easy enough to operate, but I'm not happy with my "relationship" with it. This is a personal thing, but I just don't feel confident and comfortable using it and find that I'm not listening to as much vinyl as I might. But at this stage, I'm just thinking about making a change and getting a feel for what options might be out there.

Wharf_Rat

« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2014, 05:58 pm »
... the WTA is very much more sensitive to movement/vibration than the Rega. In my old, springy-floored house, the Rega was largely immune to all but the heaviest footfalls (tracking-wise), while with the WTA playing my dog can walk through the room and cause it to jump the groove! ....

Happy to update that this is no longer a problem! After spending a lovely Sunday wallowing in the dirt beneath my house with some concrete, jack posts and a 12 foot beam to support my overtaxed joists, I could probably host a dance party in front of my WTA. I will spare the forum any punny observations on more "solid" or "tight" bass, or anything about noise "floor," but I am very happy now that I don't have to tiptoe up to or away from my turntable now.  :dance:

If only there were such payoff for the many other unsavory chores I need to do around the house.

drubin

« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2014, 09:16 pm »
FYI, I will be selling my WTA and possibly my lightly used Dynavector XX2 along with it. PM me if interested. Apologies to Mike and everyone if this comment is not allowed.

threadkiller

« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:28 pm »
Hi there... What are you getting?  Just curious...

drubin

« Reply #35 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:14 pm »
Not definite, but I'm leaning toward the Pear Audio Analogue Robin Hood with their better arm.

threadkiller

« Reply #36 on: 20 Oct 2014, 08:46 pm »
Wow, that's great.... They're been on my list to hear.  Looks like the better Tom Fletcher designs, and not the big mess that Nottingham tables headed to.  Write back if you do, love to hear about it. They look like/ or similar to old WTL classics.  Could be cool....

TimF

« Reply #37 on: 21 Oct 2014, 09:39 am »
The Pear Audio Robin Hood is a looker, I wish that there was more information around on them as well as the Cornet tonearms used. Still love the WTL's though...

threadkiller

« Reply #38 on: 22 Oct 2014, 03:36 am »
I thought Fremer reviewed one... sorry I haven't looked for it yet...two of my friends recommend them, if that's worth a hill of beans...

drubin

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jul 2015, 04:34 pm »
I'm looking for a good home for my WTA. PM me if you want details. I also have a custom plexiglass cover for it.

Dan