capacitor upgrade

Bill

capacitor upgrade
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:07 pm »
   I have been reading over the 26 page long capacitor comparison thread in The Lab forum and noticed a few sarcastic comments from your redoubtable leader, FVA. I know he's just kidding around and having a little fun with the gullible 'philes out there, but I wonder if he could recommend a bitchin' cap for my Zenith TV amplifier. Would a V-Cap be overkill?

turkey

Re: capacitor upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:20 pm »
   I have been reading over the 26 page long capacitor comparison thread in The Lab forum and noticed a few sarcastic comments from your redoubtable leader, FVA. I know he's just kidding around and having a little fun with the gullible 'philes out there, but I wonder if he could recommend a bitchin' cap for my Zenith TV amplifier. Would a V-Cap be overkill?

What's a V-Cap?

Also, I find it amazing that thread has lasted for 26 pages. Actually, no I don't. I'm never very surprised at that type of thing. I just think it's too bad people are devoting so much time and energy to something like that when real problems with stereo systems exist.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2010, 05:01 pm »
Why don't you PM him and ask the question.

Wayner

turkey

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2010, 05:53 pm »
Why don't you PM him and ask the question.

Wayner

Why a PM? Is it something obscene?

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2010, 06:03 pm »
Well, when I have a question directed at a specific person, I ask him, rather then have it on the front page of the "newspaper".

Wayner

Brett Buck

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2010, 06:55 pm »

He also made some very good points that seemed to fall on, ironically, deaf ears. Like seemingly ignoring the *actual capacitance* of the components under test!

Brett

Bill

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2010, 08:40 pm »
My remark about the V-cap was of course silly, like Frank's reference to some caps that you wear on your head (not capacitors in a circuit, and boy was that funny!) at the botom of page 22 on My capacitor comparisons by Jon L. Bo Frank had wondered why nobody was checking capacitance values and when nobody bothered to answer him, I guess he decided to be a bit of a smart-ass. Kinda' like taking your baseball bat home when nobody wants to play with you. Come to think of it, there are a lot of smart-ass comments on his own site; which is this one. Maybe they should stay here.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:42 pm »
Bill, there isn't one comment here that is "smart ass". I posted to you that if you have a specific question about capacitors, that you could just ask Frank. He likes to converse with people. My other comment was only that there are other ways to catch flies, not with vinegar, but rather with honey. Turkey and Brett's comments were in line as well.

Wayner

Bill

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:15 pm »
No, I don't mean smart-ass comments on this particular thread but in the Van Alstine forum in general dating back over the years.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:28 pm »
OK.

Wayner

gjs_cds

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:55 am »
Troll.

Thread worth deleting...

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:20 am »

:lol:  Dude, that's funny.

You read 26 pages of cap comparisons and ask one of the few legendary audio engineers in the world what to do with your TV?  :rotflmao:

Thanks for the flashback to April Fools Day!!!  :thumb: 

Have fun,
Jerry