Need tube preamp recommendations please

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Need tube preamp recommendations please
« Reply #40 on: 2 Apr 2018, 11:55 pm »
Do you guys and gals think that Mystsre CA11 for $1095 I linked is bad?

I think it is sold, since it says "sold out" .

Emil

« Reply #41 on: 3 Apr 2018, 06:20 pm »
First off, I would like to thank everyone who have contributed to post. All very educational an informative.

Secondly, I have made my decision. Drum roll please.

Linear Tube Audio Mz2
For a "mere" $1545 shipped.
I opted for the "NOS" 12sn7s ( can be converted to 6sn7 use with a flick of a switch) and 12au7 input tube as recommended by LTA since I will be using it as a preamp. More volume control usability range  as compared to the higher gain 12AT7.
Standard power supply and DC cable. Both can be upgraded in the future if so desired.
Instead of speaker binding post, they offered to include extra pair RCA outputs.
15 day return policy for any reason. No restocking fee. Just pay return shipping
Oh, and remote of course using motorized Alps Blue Velvet in the remote
Looks pretty cool with plexiglass top. Should have it in a week or so.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #42 on: 3 Apr 2018, 06:32 pm »
Congrats!  That is supposed to be a great sounding preamp.   Give the tubes at least 30-50hrs of break in.  The sound will just keep improving.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #43 on: 3 Apr 2018, 09:22 pm »
Congratulations its a very nice look.

A_shah

« Reply #44 on: 3 Apr 2018, 09:56 pm »
First off, I would like to thank everyone who have contributed to post. All very educational an informative.

Secondly, I have made my decision. Drum roll please.

Linear Tube Audio Mz2
For a "mere" $1545 shipped.
I opted for the "NOS" 12sn7s ( can be converted to 6sn7 use with a flick of a switch) and 12au7 input tube as recommended by LTA since I will be using it as a preamp. More volume control usability range  as compared to the higher gain 12AT7.
Standard power supply and DC cable. Both can be upgraded in the future if so desired.
Instead of speaker binding post, they offered to include extra pair RCA outputs.
15 day return policy for any reason. No restocking fee. Just pay return shipping
Oh, and remote of course using motorized Alps Blue Velvet in the remote
Looks pretty cool with plexiglass top. Should have it in a week or so.

Congratulations

A_shah

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #45 on: 3 Apr 2018, 10:45 pm »
Emil if you buy the Russian 6H9C please let me know how is the sound quality?
http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=6n9s&submit=Find

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: 4 Apr 2018, 12:50 am »
Congratulations.  Let us know how it works in your system.

Emil if you buy the Russian 6H9C please let me know how is the sound quality?
http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=6n9s&submit=Find
I think you mean the 6h8c. Russian equivalent for 6sn7.  Good tube if you can find real/quiet ones. http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Melz-6H8C-6SN7GT  Give it time before you start tube rolling.  There's plenty of available quality NOS tubes for both positions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 4 Apr 2018, 12:59 am »
Congratulations.  Let us know how it works in your system.
I think you mean the 6h8c. Russian equivalent for 6sn7.  Good tube if you can find real/quiet ones. http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Melz-6H8C-6SN7GT  Give it time before you start tube rolling.  There's plenty of available quality NOS tubes for both positions.
Correct its the 6H8C, but the 6H9C(6SL7) just offer more gain otherwise its the same tube. This preamp dont allow it?

Chris_B

« Reply #48 on: 4 Apr 2018, 01:48 am »
Congrats.  I've been enjoying mine.  The guys at LTA are good people and MZ2 is amazing at it's price point.  Now I'm tempted by some of their amps.   :lol:

JackD

« Reply #49 on: 4 Apr 2018, 02:03 am »
My understanding from several people that own them is that the 6SN7/12SN7 tubes are for the headphone amp output section.  The 12AU7/12AT7'are the preamp tubes and are interchangeable depending on the sound you like of either or the amount of gain you want. 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: 4 Apr 2018, 03:42 am »
Correct its the 6H8C, but the 6H9C(6SL7) just offer more gain otherwise its the same tube. This preamp dont allow it?
I don't know if it (6h9c) can be used or not, but why would he want to?  He doesn't need increased gain, and in fact they sold him the lower gain 12au7 input/driver tubes to reduce gain.  Also, there are so many quality NOS 6sn7/12sn7 tubes available to play with.

jsm71

« Reply #51 on: 4 Apr 2018, 06:44 pm »
Emil, congrats on selecting the MZ2.  I use mine with ESL speakers but went through a couple of traditional tube amps and an earlier Cary tube preamp before going all in with LTA.  I use their ZOTL40 amp in addition to using the MZ2.  I need the power and the two LTA units together mate with my speakers like nothing I've tried before.  The 3D magic comes from the MZ2.

You should try hooking up your very efficient speakers using the MZ2 as an integrated amp.  I know of more than one person who was able to run Tekton Double Impacts straight from a MZ2.  I think having a preamp that was initially designed as a premier headphone (personal) amp is also a nice extra.   

By all means, let us know your impressions.   

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #52 on: 15 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm »
And?

Emil

« Reply #53 on: 15 Apr 2018, 02:28 pm »
And?
Oh, yes!. Sorry if I left you hanging.

I love this thing. Besides being the cutest piece of kit I own, music just oozes out from my horns. Incredible for I paid for it.
As my reference, it bested my previous Dehavilland UV3 and Mercury 3 preamps. Even thou the UV3 and LTA are both 6sn7 based, the LTA didn't have the fullness or lower mid/upper bass bump of the UV3 which some find characteristic of that tube.In other words, no warmth from the LTA and for me a good thing.
Compared to the Placette, just imagine an orchestra without a conductor. The LTA is the conductor.

So yes, I'm thrilled with it. Inexpensive in relative terms so that it can be purchased new with home trial and made in USA.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #54 on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:17 am »

...... Even thou the UV3 and LTA are both 6sn7 based, the LTA didn't have the fullness or lower mid/upper bass bump of the UV3 which some find characteristic of that tube.In other words, no warmth from the LTA and for me a good thing......
Quote from: Rusty Jefferson
.... The recommendation of the MicroZOTL is a good one.....I replaced a quality passive and buffer with a MZ in my horn based system (102db) with a great improvement in transparency and dynamics. It will not sound tubey however, or soften high frequencies if that's a goal.....
Glad to know that it's working out for you. :D  You might be surprised how much you can tailor the sound by rolling the input/driver tubes as well.

jsm71

« Reply #55 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:51 pm »
Emil, tube swapping is a lot of fun with the MZ2.  I correspond regularly with a group of MZ2 owners who recently just went through the fun of passing a number of tubes from person to person to see which tubes we each liked.  I was last on the list and have just sent all the tubes back to their owners.

Each of us liked different tubes to some degree, but popular among us were Siemens 12AT7 or Amperex 12AU7.  E80CC tubes are also quite interesting.  It seems we were split between preferring the higher gain 12AT7 vs the 12AU7.  It's system dependent and how much drive you want.  I've settled in on using 12AU7.  The somewhat lower gain allows me more "swing" with the MZ2's volume control.   I tend to live in the middle third of the control this way.

For the output tubes, RCA clear glass 12SN7GT were my favorite for this tube type, but I also have some Sylvania JAN 6SN7GT that sound pretty good.  The 6SN7s require a pin change on the chassis due to voltage differences.  It is an easy setup. 

As you've already pointed out, the MZ2 is so quiet different tubes really expose their differences.  You can tailor the sound to what you like.   

Enjoy.

jsm71

« Reply #56 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:57 pm »
I forgot to mention above that all the tubes we passed around were all NOS.  To be fair, the stock tubes that LTA ships with the units are not bad.  Mine came with NOS tubes.

bluemeanies

« Reply #57 on: 7 May 2018, 11:32 pm »
Congratulations...very nice and I hope it performs well for you system. I know I am late to add anything to you decision but I had been in the market for a tube pre-amp. I currently have the Grace Design m920 monitor system and it is a fantastic piece. I made a decesion to dive into a tube pre-amp as well as an external tube dac from Audionote...the 4.1 with C-core transformers. I take ownership in another week. The pre-amp is a custom made SP-14....not by Don Sachs.
Not saying anything wrong with Don's SP14... internally mine is the same....it's the outside work that is BEEFED up. After reading reviews about the SP14 it ranks up there with pre-amps costing thousands more.
Just throwing in my 2C
Again congrats and enjoy 😊