LDR3.V2 w/ Integrated Amp

mrvco

LDR3.V2 w/ Integrated Amp
« on: 17 Aug 2016, 04:38 pm »
I'm seriously considering migrating back to separates from an integrated amp and the LDR3.V2 looks to fit perfectly with my plan.  Other than the additional unnecessary component(s) in the signal path (the integrated's volume pot), is there any downside to pairing the LDR3.V2 as remote volume control with an integrated amp until I purchase a dedicated power amp?  I'm assuming that I would set the volume on the integrated to something at or slightly above my maximum normal listening level and leave it.  Would the integrated amplifier and its volume control have any effect on impedance matching by the LDR3.V2?

Thanks!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR3.V2 w/ Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2016, 07:10 pm »
I'm seriously considering migrating back to separates from an integrated amp and the LDR3.V2 looks to fit perfectly with my plan.  Other than the additional unnecessary component(s) in the signal path (the integrated's volume pot), is there any downside to pairing the LDR3.V2 as remote volume control with an integrated amp until I purchase a dedicated power amp?  I'm assuming that I would set the volume on the integrated to something at or slightly above my maximum normal listening level and leave it.  Would the integrated amplifier and its volume control have any effect on impedance matching by the LDR3.V2?

Thanks!

Yes, you can put an LDR3.V2 immediately in front of any integrated amp. You have 2 options on how to deal with the integrated amp's volume control.

Options 1 is run integrated amp's volume up to max and leave it there. The amp's volume control pot will still define some or all of the input impedance of the amp but won't attenuate the incoming signal. It shouldn't pose an unusual impedance issue for the Tortuga preamp since it will likely be a 20k or higher pot. I do recommend checking the input impedance on the amp just to be sure. Once you've maxed out the amp's volume, the entire volume control will be via the LDR3.V2  which is how things are done with separate stand alone amp anyway.  However, the audio signal will still be going through the pot and it's wiper which is where pot based attenuators bugger up the audio signal.

Option 2 takes option 1 a step further. Open up the integrated and bypass the volume control pot altogether. To do this properly you'll need to get a schematic of the integrated amp to make sure there's a proper input stage downstream of the volume pot (there probably is) that sets the impedance of the amp. I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you're comfortable mucking about with all the electrical bits. Also, if you plan to sell the integrated you'll want to consider the downside potential.