Who has tried HiFi Tuning fuses in their Bryston amps?

larevoj

Re: Who has tried HiFi Tuning fuses in their Bryston amps?
« Reply #80 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:26 am »
Do tell more after run-in  :D

I also see there is at least one fuse in the MPS-2 power supply - for those who are interested.

I've ordered the same Furutech fuse that Anononomouse described in this thread and installed.  I guess I'll be able to hear for myself is there are any improvements.  Cheap upgrade, even if it doesn't provide any noticeable benefits in my specific case.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #81 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:27 am »

I've ordered the same Furutech fuse that Anononomouse described in this thread and installed.  I guess I'll be able to hear for myself is there are any improvements.  Cheap upgrade, even if it doesn't provide any noticeable benefits in my specific case.

Excellent! Try it yourself and draw your own conclusions rather than relying on received wisdom. Please let us know how it works out for you, G. :thumb:

D.D.

larevoj

« Reply #82 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:57 am »
Hi James, since my BIT 16 didn't have any manual with it when it was delivered so I downloaded a copy of RM16 manual from Torus website - http://toruspower.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Torus-Owners-Manual-Int-Rack-UK-16...pdf. It seems the BIT 16 only has a 16A Circuit Breaker at the front Panel but no fuse??

Btw, for folks whom like to change the fuse in BDA-1 below are the specs:

5x20mm glass fuse on the CD1-PM circuit board (near the IEC power inlet) of the BDA-1. All fuses are rated 250V:
- For 100 volt models fuse value is F 250mA L
- For 120 volt models fuse value is F 250mA L
- For 230 volt models fuse value is F 125mA L
- For 240 volt models fuse value is F 125mA L

larevoj

« Reply #83 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:34 am »
Hi James, hope I am not bothering you to much  :D

But is the BDA-1 fuse below Slow Blow??

I have searched around and it seems only HiFi Tuning has 125mA rating not Furutech. Looks like all my source fuse will have to go Hifi Tuning maybe the Supreme while the amplifier Furutech.

- For 240 volt models fuse value is F 125mA L

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #84 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:21 am »
I am sorry, but placing untested fuses, (that is they are 'who knows what' really ratings checked by?? whom??) in critical positions in am amp with a great warranty is foolish way beyond any sensiblilty..
Standard fuses are carefully regulated, and have great quality control.
So when you buy a standard fuse from a known company, they are certain to be correct, and do EXACTLY what you need done to protect a curcuit. And what was caleld for by the designer.
These aftermarket fuses use unique wire, and design with no testing at all. they are 'audiophile' which means what???
Half the time they do not come in the exact right value, and even if they did, who is it saying they work as designed?
I am just sorry. Many do not act with the correct speed, which in many applications, is critical.
I can see sticking an oddball fuse in a speaker fuse. Where being sort of vague has little consequence.
But it power supplies of $5,000 to $20,000 components.
Geez. forget it.
that is my two cents.
If some want to do it anyway, and take the chances. considering the aftermarket audiophile fuses may not be adequate, and thus your warranty is busted. Feel free to be playing Russian Roulette with your equipment.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #85 on: 28 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm »

FWIW, a quick trip to the Furutech website reveals that they offer two fuse products: one states CE, UL and PSE safety approvals while the other, the "High-End Performance Fuse" makes no such claims.

D.D.   

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #86 on: 28 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm »
I'm just wondering if anyone else, other than Anonamemouse, tried changing out the fuse on their Bryston 4B amp, as this is something that I'm considering as a quick tweak.

I put the Acme Audio fuses in a 30 year old 4B, made a small but nice improvement to overall sound, highs a little cleaner.

Money well spent.

drummermitchell

« Reply #87 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:13 pm »
I see a few Q's were where Mike was asked what his thoughts were on fuses.
I'll bet $50.00 he won't reply on whether they make a difference in the way some think.
I believe the response  will be ....try them and see what you think.
Never read where this type of fuse does this to our pre's,amps,cdp ect or that they tried different types to see what
if any thing changes.I don't think James has said anything about them either(WHY IS THAT).
Perhaps it's against audio manufacturers policy to say these don't do a thing,                                                   since they are all in the same audio type of environment.
Perhaps audiophiles have different hearing than people who have been testing their products for years and years and years.
Perhaps the answer is that all the techs forgot to try out the different little fuses and one fine day an audiophile
discovered this fuse that changed audio forever.
Let the whuppin begin,as  I've been there,the whuppin that is :lol:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #88 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:24 pm »
One thing I think I should point out is the fuses in our gear are NEVER in the audio circuit path - if there is a fuse it is on the Power Supply side for safety reasons.

james

larevoj

« Reply #89 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:09 pm »
Hi James, can help to clarify??

Hi James, hope I am not bothering you to much  :D

But is the BDA-1 fuse below Slow Blow??

I have searched around and it seems only HiFi Tuning has 125mA rating not Furutech. Looks like all my source fuse will have to go Hifi Tuning maybe the Supreme while the amplifier Furutech.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #90 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:49 pm »
Hi James, can help to clarify??

The fuse in the BDA-1 is 250 milli-amps (120 V) fast blow. In the 240 Volt version it is 160 ma

james

larevoj

« Reply #91 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:53 pm »
Thanks James...so 240 Volt version it is 160 mA fast blow. That's different from the what the online downloaded owners manual says so I hope folks won't put the wrong fuse in.

The fuse in the BDA-1 is 250 milli-amps (120 V) fast blow. In the 240 Volt version it is 160 ma

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #92 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:03 pm »
Excellent! Try it yourself and draw your own conclusions rather than relying on received wisdom. Please let us know how it works out for you, G. :thumb:

D.D.

VERY much seconded. I have written down my perceptions, I am very interested in how other people feel an aftermarket fuse affects their sound.

I am sorry, but placing untested fuses, (that is they are 'who knows what' really ratings checked by?? whom??) in critical positions in am amp with a great warranty is foolish way beyond any sensiblilty..
"...A standard fuse from a known company..." I would like to challenge you and ask you to name 5 fuse making companies of the top of your head, not through Google.
Apart from that, I really fail to see how you can state that the average CHINESE fuse manufacturer indeed checks all its fuses (one by one). Trust me: this does NOT happen. The average $0.15 fuse has a 20 to 50% margin. The Furutech fuses don't, which is why they usually blow faster.

Standard fuses are carefully regulated, and have great quality control.
So when you buy a standard fuse from a known company, they are certain to be correct, and do EXACTLY what you need done to protect a curcuit. And what was caleld for by the designer.
I STRONGLY disagree there. For reasons see first answer.

These aftermarket fuses use unique wire, and design with no testing at all. they are 'audiophile' which means what???
So your amplifier is put together completely with standard issue "Made in Canada" parts? If this were the case, why didn't you buy a Sony? That sould have the same sound.

The term Audiophile according to Wikipedia: "An audiophile is a person with a strong interest in high-quality sound (usually music) reproduction."
For me it means how I experience my music, the emotion I get from it. The better I can reproduce the recordings made by artists, the more emotion I feel when listening.

Half the time they do not come in the exact right value, and even if they did, who is it saying they work as designed?
The Furutech fuses are SPOT ON when it comes to value. As mentioned before, $0.15 fuses have a MASSIVE margin.

I am just sorry. Many do not act with the correct speed, which in many applications, is critical.
I can see sticking an oddball fuse in a speaker fuse. Where being sort of vague has little consequence.
Weird. You are describing the fuses you have inside your equipment now, but blaming others for actually wanting to upgrade.

But it power supplies of $5,000 to $20,000 components.
Yes. So does the crappy plastic outlet in your wall, fed by unstable power.

Geez. forget it.
that is my two cents.
Only 13 more for a new fuse for you.

If some want to do it anyway, and take the chances. considering the aftermarket audiophile fuses may not be adequate, and thus your warranty is busted. Feel free to be playing Russian Roulette with your equipment.
Uhm... No.

larevoj

« Reply #93 on: 30 Jun 2012, 06:57 am »

Hi Anonamemouse, is the Furutech fuse recommended by Mike P. a 6.3A Slow Blow fuse?

Mr. Russell replies a lot quicker... :)

One Furutech 5x20mm 6.3 A ordered, should be here sometime next week.

I decided to go for the top, and not get stuck halfway. The difference in price is not that horrible, I know people that spend MUCH more on stuff like cablestands and electronliners and such.

ronman

« Reply #94 on: 1 Jul 2012, 09:54 am »
Hi. I know this topic asks about Hifi tuning fuses in Bryston amps. Glad to see someone comment on Furutech fuses. SoundGame reminded me about a review I sent the Furutech agent after I had fitted Furutech fuses to some of my components. So I will add my bit on fuses. I wrote that review as I was asked what my findings were on the upgraded fuses. After writing this review I bought more Bryston gear (the BDP-1 and a BDA-1) where I changed the fuses in those components too after doing some A-B-A comparisons. As finance allowed I did change EVERY fuse in the system. The upgraded fuses did make a positive difference in my listening environment. Here is the review I wrote:

"Hello Jeandre!

Here it is! "My" Feature Article: Furutech Fuse Review.

My listening room is 5.3m (L) x 3.30m (w) x 2.80m (H). The room is carpeted and furnished with a 3 seater couch that sits centred 1.10m from the rear wall, and there is a heavy wooden coffee table a short distance in front of the couch. The entire width of the rear wall is a cd rack that is 2.0m high.  The wall behind the hi-fi cabinet is curtained, and the side walls have large picture frames mounted on them. The Paradigm S8 floorstanding front speakers are positioned either side and in front of the hi-fi cabinet and are positioned 1,40m off the front wall, and 0.5m off the side wall. Speaker toe in is aimed at my shoulders when seated in the centre seat of the couch.These speakers,with upgraded internal wiring, are bi-amped via an Anthem P5 power amplifier. The source of the music is via a Wadia transport and Wadia DAC, and this signal is sent to a Mark Levinson 38S pre-amp. All interconnects and speaker wire are of silver construction. Clean, regulated electrical power is supplied from a dedicated A/C circuit with upgraded 4mm 3 core shielded wiring to an active voltage regulator which feeds the power condition, which then distributes power to the various stereo and A/V components.

I initially entered the hi-fi scene as a cable/wire sceptic. Wire is wire. All wire is the same. Having an open mind I spent much time reading and in discussion before I got some hands on comparisions with various speaker wires and interconnects. As the quality of the wiring used improved I learned that good wiring does less damage in the signal path, and this was good, as the music became more enjoyable and "believeable". Alas the story of diminishing returns is very real, so I only upgraded to a realistic value for money price point. It does not take much to realise  that a cable upgrade was often cheaper than a component upgrade, and this better quality cable can reveal more of your sound systems potential, reducing the need for a better component. Over time my system grew without breaking the bank or having to trade components.

As my experiences with various cables developed I got to thinking about fuses. Whether you have a megabuck sound sytem or one that is just enough to break the silence around you, all these sound systems have one thing in common. They all have cheap nasty fuses. I appreciate that every component must be built within a certain price point, but that little glass fuse that costs between fifty cents and two rand could be a component choker. After much research, the popular opinion is that fuses do not and cannot make a difference. Most of the writers of these negative comments had never tested fuses themselves. A small handful of positive reviews were found - by people who had tried upgraded fuses themselves. I approached various high end hi-fi dealers in town in a quest to buy a few. Some of the hi-fi dealers who have become friends over time teased me that I must be bored - I should just buy a better replacement component - or I get too carried away with ecking out every ounce of preformance my system has to offer. "Why not!" I would joke, "Surely a system is the sum of all its parts. Why not make small affordable upgrades that can release any hidden potential within the hi-fi components!?" I figured the worst case scenario would be that I would have a handful of brand new but pricey fuses. I contacted Jeandre Botha of AV Cables, the man responsible for distributing Furutech goodies across the land, and shortly thereafter I recieved five shiny silver and blue Furutech rodium plated fuses. Knowing that my fellow hi-fi enthusiast friends were waiting to throw pie in my face I gave the fuses a quiet audition before allowing them to visit for some A-B-A comparisions. Wow. Yes just that one word. Wow. That little fuse did THAT to my beloved system. (Actually the transport takes 3 fuses). Not to be fooled, as some people listen to the price tag or the dent in their wallets, I had a friend, Shani Kleyn, visit and she rapidly swapped fuses while I sat blindfolded in my seat. Every time the Furutech fuses were fitted into the cd transport I immediately heard a positive difference. After repeated A-B-A comparisons Shani stated that the music was smoother, clearer and easier to listen to with the Furutech fuses compared to the stock fuses. I had to agree as she was quite right. I then replaced the 2 fuses in the pre-amp, and again an improvement was heard. We were unable to decide which of the two components benefitted most from the fuse upgrade.

Knowing that my purchase was no financial loss I smugly (as I knew my face would be pie free) invited my hi-fi friends over. "Bring your favourite music along" I instructed. They arrived. The cd transport housing and internal shields were removed to allow speedy access to the fuses. The exposed transport was hidden behind a make shift cloth shroud so that the internals could not be seen by straying eyes. The music sytem was switched on whilst fresh coffee beans were ground and brewed. More jokes were made about the fuses, but these listening sessions have always been fun so I wasn't preturbed. Our systems had all grown and evolved through these test sessions. None of the listeners here are fans of loud music. The 38S volume range is from 0 to 90. 40 was selected as being the accepted listening volume. The listening process started. Jack Johnson, Michael Buble, Diana Krall, Sting, Four Play, Keb Mo, Katie Melua, Norah Jones and Sara K all took turns to audition themselves. The A-B-A process was regularly repeated. The original system (cd transport with stock fuses) had a really enjoyable foot tapping character. When the 3 Furutech fuses were inserted the change in sound quality was immediate. Jack Johnson sounded more easy going. Michael Buble does a duet with Nelly Furtado (Quando Quando) - she lost that nasal tone she previously had. In the song "Home" by Michael Buble, the emotion of the song had a greater presence. Diana Krall and Norah Jones' piano must have had a polish as the sound of this instrument was more alive. Keb Mo's tapping of his leather shoes in the studio floor was sharper, the cello played by One Republic in  "The Secret" was more haunting and emotional. The typical tobacco smoking burbin drinking roughness in Sara K's voice was more distinctive. All listeners agreed - music coming from the silent background was clearer, more revealing, unveiled and certainly more present with the Furutech fuses. It was only after the testing that the listeners got to see any of the fuses. Every time the Furutech fuses were clippped in place the audience reported an improvement. In an attempt to dupe the listeners I unclipped the stock fuses, fumbled behind the shroud and clipped the stock fuses back in place. The agreed response - "No Change". No hiding that the Furutech fuses are superior. Both Garth Roberts and Shani Kleyn commented that as good as the stock system is, with the Furutech fuses the system lost its graininess and was less fatiguing. Eddie Kotze in his immitation lisp way of speaking commented that the music was more "fresh and crithpy". Sean Black and Quintin Benson commented the sound was clearer and more open.

So in months to come every fuse in the system including the TV and the A/V system will be replaced. After that... I am going to explore the world of upgraded power plugs. As I sit here typing this I am grinning from ear to ear. Unlike "The king and his new cloths story"  I am satisfied that the cost of the fuses was money well spent. The Furutech fuses are certainly an affordable and worthwhile investment."

I am happy with the Furutechs. Since that article I was told to try HiFi Tuning fuses for comparitive purposes. Cant afford to buy fuses just for the sake of "comparisons". The Furutechs have been fitted toward the end of last year. Haven't had a single issue yet.

I always say: Believe your ears. Not your scientific calculators. Not your wallets.

ronman

« Reply #95 on: 1 Jul 2012, 10:02 am »
What I do when I change fuses is wrap the fuse in a non electrical conduction tape, then securely stick the fuse to the inside of the hifi component cover. That way should the fuse blow you have the original fuse available for rapid replacement until you can order an replacement upgraded fuse. 

PRELUDE

« Reply #96 on: 1 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm »
What I do when I change fuses is wrap the fuse in a non electrical conduction tape, then securely stick the fuse to the inside of the hifi component cover. That way should the fuse blow you have the original fuse available for rapid replacement until you can order an replacement upgraded fuse.
With that kinds of pricing I think it would be cheaper if you blow up a resister,cap or a transistor.
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2012, 03:37 am by PRELUDE »

adprom

« Reply #97 on: 2 Jul 2012, 07:17 am »
When even the device manufacturer says "we don't put audio fuses in the audio path" - that is a pretty big hint towards the effect they have.

I can think of better things to blow money on than an overpriced fuse.

larevoj

« Reply #98 on: 4 Jul 2012, 03:08 pm »
Hi James, I cannot find 160mA but can I use a 125mA? Will it blow immediately??

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 4 Jul 2012, 04:26 pm »
Hi James, I cannot find 160mA but can I use a 125mA? Will it blow immediately??

Hi

Please email Mike Pickett at bryston - way to technical for me  :duh:

mpickett@bryston.com

james