BHA1 Issue/Question

Dloines

BHA1 Issue/Question
« on: 11 Dec 2016, 02:55 pm »
need advice on this issue.  equipment is BP25, BHA1, 4bsst2, BDA-2, source CD player and IPAD.  So I decided to reconfigure my system by connecting the BDA-2 output to the BP25 via XLR, and using the BHA1 by connecting it to the BP25 tape-out.

When listening via speakers no issues at all, but if I decide to switch to headphones, I power off amp and preamp first, power on BHA1 (with volume knob at the 11:00 position)  LCD-2 connect via 4pin, I get really loud harsh static sound that starts to fade to a lower level (after a few seconds) but music has lots of static, so turn off BHA1, turn it back on still static, move switch from RCA to Balance and back to RCA and everything is fine.  I'm using Tape out on BP25 vs the two other Output RCA connects.

I Powered everything off and powered on my source, BHA1 and BDA-2 and listen through LCD-2 and everything was fine?  Its seems as if residual power or signal is being transferred from the BP25 although its powered off when I use speakers first,

advice is appreciated, thanks!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BHA1 Issue/Question
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2016, 03:42 pm »
^ not sure what's going on with your setup, but I use BDA-1 bal output straight into my BHA-1. Much shorter signal path.

I don't see the point of going thru your line pre (BP25) then to BHA-1.  :scratch:

Pundamilia

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2016, 04:59 pm »
Is the sound from the BHA-1 really that much better than using the headphone jack on the BP25? Or are there other reasons for purchasing a BHA-1 if you already own a BP25/26?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2016, 05:05 pm »
Is the sound from the BHA-1 really that much better than using the headphone jack on the BP25? Or are there other reasons for purchasing a BHA-1 if you already own a BP25/26?

I can say only that it was far superior to the headph outs of B100 and BP17.

Dloines

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:01 pm »
^ not sure what's going on with your setup, but I use BDA-1 bal output straight into my BHA-1. Much shorter signal path.

I don't see the point of going thru your line pre (BP25) then to BHA-1.  :scratch:

I had it configured as you mentioned BDA to the BHA-1 and BHA-1 to BP25, but that puts two volume controls in line, did not want that, and didn't want to use the BHA-1 one as my pre-amp.  Can I use both set of outputs on the BDA-2 (xlr and rca)?  Then I could XLR connect to BP25 and rca connect to BHA-1

Dloines

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:02 pm »

yes, sound and amplification are much better for higher end headphones audeze LCD-2s

Dloines

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:18 pm »
Thanks guys, problem solved I was able to use both sets of outputs on the BDA-2, so XLR to my BP25 and RCA to the BHA-1, and both sound great and no static issues.

I noticed that going directly to the BHA-1 from the BDA-2 that the amplification needed is reduced, volume knob on BHA is now slightly below the 9:00 position vs 11:00 when using the tape out on preamp

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:39 pm »
Thanks guys, problem solved .....
I noticed that going directly to the BHA-1 from the BDA-2 that the amplification needed is reduced, volume knob on BHA is now slightly below the 9:00 position vs 11:00 when using the tape out on preamp

Not surprising. I had to get my dealer to reduce gain on my BHA-1 a few yrs ago, so I can use a fuller range of the vol pot.