Bryston 7BSST2 & Torus power conditioner

kariya1997

Bryston 7BSST2 & Torus power conditioner
« on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:41 am »
Hi everyone,

I have two questions regarding Bryston 7BSST2. I'm planning to buy a pair of 7BSST2 and have a Torus RM15 power conditioner. The power consumption for each 7B is about 1284W which is equivalent to 10amp approximately. So, if I plug two 7B into RM15, they will overload the power conditioner theoretically. My question is should I get another RM15 just connecting one 7B on the different circuit so that it won't overload the same circuit (or trigger the breaker).

Someone mentioned that 7B or 14B are using same toroidal transformers as Torus power conditioner. Is it true? Do I need to plug in 7B into RM15 to improve sound quality?

My other question is that I'm using Monitor Audio GX300.  Are they a good fit to 7bsst2?  Are they too much power to my speakers?  I understand that lot of power is better than under power but will 7b have excessive power?

Thanks for your comment.

Steven

ps: I don't have 20amp dedicated line at home

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston 7BSST2 & Torus power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2014, 04:09 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have two questions regarding Bryston 7BSST2. I'm planning to buy a pair of 7BSST2 and have a Torus RM15 power conditioner. The power consumption for each 7B is about 1284W which is equivalent to 10amp approximately. So, if I plug two 7B into RM15, they will overload the power conditioner theoretically. My question is should I get another RM15 just connecting one 7B on the different circuit so that it won't overload the same circuit (or trigger the breaker).

Someone mentioned that 7B or 14B are using same toroidal transformers as Torus power conditioner. Is it true? Do I need to plug in 7B into RM15 to improve sound quality?

My other question is that I'm using Monitor Audio GX300.  Are they a good fit to 7bsst2?  Are they too much power to my speakers?  I understand that lot of power is better than under power but will 7b have excessive power?

Thanks for your comment.

Steven

ps: I don't have 20amp dedicated line at home

Hi Steven

The 7B's have the high transient current capability of the Torus type transformers built in so unless you want the 'surge protection' built into the Torus it is not necessary with the Bryston 7Bs.

james

kariya1997

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:04 am »
Hi james,

Thanks for your reply.  What you are saying is the sound quality will make no difference even I plug my 7b into torus conditioner.  The only difference is just an extra surge protection.  If that's the case, I don't need to get an extra power conditioner and can plug into different wall socket and circuit directly.

Thanks

Steven

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:21 am »
Hi james,

Thanks for your reply.  What you are saying is the sound quality will make no difference even I plug my 7b into torus conditioner.  The only difference is just an extra surge protection.  If that's the case, I don't need to get an extra power conditioner and can plug into different wall socket and circuit directly.

Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven

That's correct :thumb:

James

clive101

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2016, 07:46 am »
Hi James,
I have the same question for 7b3 would I gain any better sound from using a BIT or Torus with the new amps, if not I could use the lower rated Bit or Torus.
Thanks Clive.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2016, 11:28 am »
Hi James,
I have the same question for 7b3 would I gain any better sound from using a BIT or Torus with the new amps, if not I could use the lower rated Bit or Torus.
Thanks Clive.

The BIT will offer you surge protection but I would not recommend the smaller units with the larger amps like the 7B's as I find they will sometimes tax the smaller transformers in the smaller BIT units whereas the BIT 20 has a huge transformer and is better suited to the larger Bryston amplifiers.

james

clive101

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2016, 12:50 pm »
Hello James,
Thank you for responding, so no sound difference for the amps surge protection only with a BIT...?
If so I could purchase the smaller unit for a Melco and Chord Dave...?
Thanks Clive

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:06 pm »
Hello James,
Thank you for responding, so no sound difference for the amps surge protection only with a BIT...?
If so I could purchase the smaller unit for a Melco and Chord Dave...?
Thanks Clive

Yes the smaller units would be fine on source gear.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:49 pm »
The BIT will offer you surge protection but I would not recommend the smaller units with the larger amps like the 7B's as I find they will sometimes tax the smaller transformers in the smaller BIT units whereas the BIT 20 has a huge transformer and is better suited to the larger Bryston amplifiers.

james

Just curious what you think about if there were two dedicated 20A lines and a 7B was plugged into a BIT15 then into one 20A line, the other 7 plus a 2nd BIT-15 into the other 20A line. Would a single BIT-20 still be the better option with the two 7's plugged into it?

And what of this other wacky scenario. A 28 plugged into a BIT-15 then into a dedicated 20A line and repeat for the 2nd 28 on the other dedicated line.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2016, 07:43 pm »
Just curious what you think about if there were two dedicated 20A lines and a 7B was plugged into a BIT15 then into one 20A line, the other 7 plus a 2nd BIT-15 into the other 20A line. Would a single BIT-20 still be the better option with the two 7's plugged into it?

And what of this other wacky scenario. A 28 plugged into a BIT-15 then into a dedicated 20A line and repeat for the 2nd 28 on the other dedicated line.

Hi Rod

Its not the dedicated line at issue as much as it is the fact that the current draw on the larger amps could cause the smaller 15 amp transformer to overload.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2016, 06:51 pm »
Thanks

I kind of figured that and pointed that out in a dealer's setup once and I was basically told in no uncertain terms to mind my business, don't comment on the rig unless it was to praise it and that with his decades of experience he knows what yields the best performance. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that two BIT-15's sell for more than a single BIT-20 so I'm sure that was good honest words of wisdom from the dealer  :D  :roll:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2016, 06:57 pm »
Thanks

I kind of figured that and pointed that out in a dealer's setup once and I was basically told in no uncertain terms to mind my business, don't comment on the rig unless it was to praise it ... :D  :roll:

Curious...who's this dealer?

Rod_S

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2016, 07:00 pm »
Yeah curious indeed. I'd rather not name the specific dealer.

Rod_S

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2016, 07:09 pm »
If on the other hand the amps weren't actually going through the BIT's but rather straight into the wall or into more powerful conditioners behind the scenes (the capacity of the room setup was 20A) that would of course be a different story and what he said would make sense but I didn't get the impression that was taking place.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2016, 08:03 pm »
Bottom line with some dealers: Maximize sales with minimal effort or self-education.