IEC power jack and a removable 3 conductor power cord

martyo

Re: IEC power jack and a removable 3 conductor power cord
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:33 pm »
But now that he has bent to the demand, it probably still won't please everybody.  There will be those that won't like the generic IEC connector and will want to know why he can't provide over-engineered and overpriced specialty IEC connectors!

I can't imagine that ever happening. :lol:

avahifi

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2011, 05:42 pm »
Well, some of you guys actually look at our web site (www.avahifi.com) once in a while after all.  :)

Yes the conversion to IEC connectors took a chassis redesign and retool for all the new AVA products (including the Ultravalve vacuum tube amplifier - it too now has a removeable power cord).

We also added a back panel "ground lift" switch to all new chassis.  Because a mix of three conductor and two conductor units in your audio system can sometimes lead to ground loop induced hum (more than one ground path between units - one through the signal cable grounds, the other through the AC chassis grounds) we also decided to do something about this.

The Chassis Ground switch connects or disconnects the third wire ground connection from three wire AC power cable.  When the Chassis Ground is open (off position) the AC power is identical to a standard two conductor polarized power cord.  This may be useful to eliminate ground loop hum issues.  When the Chassis Ground switch is closed (on position) then the unit's chassis is grounded to earth ground through the third wire connection of the power cord as expected.

BE VERY CAREFUL to use (if you must) only after market power cords you have thoroughly tested to make sure they are wired with the correct polarity. Of course you can simply use the power cord we supply with the units, but if you really need to spend more on the power cord than the equipment cost in the first place, have at it.

We also have now provided an external back panel mounted main power supply fuse holder for all units.  No need to remove the cover to check or replace the main fuse.  Note that some units still have additional internal B+ and B- power supply fuses.  Please read the owner's manuals supplied carefully.

Unfortunately, these chassis revisions mean that we had to eliminate the extra convenience AC outlets on the units.  Each new unit now will need to be plugged into an AC outlet or into an appropriate AC power strip.  We still advise plugging large amplifiers directly into an AC wall outlet to provide isolation from all the small signal equipment.

This change was made of course only because of user demand.  When the first question I get regarding the possible purchase of an Ultravalve amp was "does it have a removeable power cord," I finally figured the handwriting was on the wall and initiated the redesign process.

So now all you guys that claimed that only the power cord issue was holding you back, that issue is gone.  Lets hear from you with your orders.

One more thing, the IEC outlet "feature" is not retrofittable into older AVA chassis.  Not unless you would like to pay for the time of an individual sheet metal craftsman to machine and file and fit the necessary holes while filling in and moving other holes and fittings, all while not disturbing the internal parts and then doing a nice repaint of the finished work. 

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2011, 06:59 pm »
We also added a back panel "ground lift" switch to all new chassis.  Because a mix of three conductor and two conductor units in your audio system can sometimes lead to ground loop induced hum (more than one ground path between units - one through the signal cable grounds, the other through the AC chassis grounds) we also decided to do something about this.

The Chassis Ground switch connects or disconnects the third wire ground connection from three wire AC power cable.  When the Chassis Ground is open (off position) the AC power is identical to a standard two conductor polarized power cord.  This may be useful to eliminate ground loop hum issues.  When the Chassis Ground switch is closed (on position) then the unit's chassis is grounded to earth ground through the third wire connection of the power cord as expected.

Nice feature Frank. :thumb:

srb

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:06 pm »
Unfortunately, these chassis revisions mean that we had to eliminate the extra convenience AC outlets on the units.

Probably not a bad side effect, as many people I have seen use convenience outlets on equipment were often connecting components beyond the rated loads.

So now all you guys that claimed that only the power cord issue was holding you back, that issue is gone.  Lets hear from you with your orders.

That's right, time to put your money where your mouth is!

Steve

rcag_ils

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm »
I hate to see Frank finally give in on this. Frank should lable the "ground lift" switch as "education switch" to show people going from two prongs to three prongs has no improvement in sound.

I hope it won't force the non-believers of power cord to pay more for the product.

It would probably be good for the used eq. market since many may trade in their old two prongs for the new three prongs.

trebejo

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm »
Well, I suppose more choices are better, but just between us, I liked it fine the old way.

Just one more question... cringe do we still get the captive power cord option?  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

avahifi

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm »
If you still want new AVA equipment with a captive power cord, I supose we could super glue it in for you.  :)

Regards,

Frank

yo2tup

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:00 am »
I hate to see Frank finally give in on this. Frank should lable the "ground lift" switch as "education switch" to show people going from two prongs to three prongs has no improvement in sound.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here claim that the third prong would make a sound improvement.

rcag_ils

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:43 am »
I don't think I've ever seen anyone here claim that the third prong would make a sound improvement.

Not here, but out there.

The same idiots that believe by replacing their computers' three prong with a thousand dollar three prong would make their computers run faster, what a bunch of morons. If I keep talking, pretty soon Frank would have to switch the chassis back to two prong. Three prong and the "ground lift" switch have another point of failure for crying out loud.

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:50 am »
Will you be selling the garden hose sized power cables now, Frank?

trebejo

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2011, 08:55 am »
Remember when Coke came out with New Coke?  :wink:

aln

It seems that the IEC power jack could be done more easily on the Ultra power amps as there is a lot of chassis space at that point on the rear chassis.  If someone was doing an upgrade to their amp would you consider making this available?

avahifi

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:23 pm »
I would have to improve my skills with a hacksaw and such before attempting to make nice rectangular holes in the back panel of the power amps and matching mounting holes for the IEC outlet, ground lift switch, and additional fuse holder.

I think we have better things to do around here before attempting this, like finishing the designs for our very own interconnect cables and speaker wires.  This has been going pretty slow as we we have found that supplies of unattainium are unattainable. :)

Frank

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:02 pm »
  A wise decision. Give them what they want. It cannot hurt. I have a ground lift switch on the Lector CDP. Came in handy when we used two different circuits eliminating any hum issues.
   Good luck with your cable offerings. For me nothing like a IC or speaker cable to mate with a Manufactures gear. Makes a lot of sense. Just please price them in the real world.

charles

modular747

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2011, 04:09 pm »
This has been going pretty slow as we we have found that supplies of unattainium are unattainable. :)

Frank

But there's plenty of bovinexcrementium to go around!

trebejo

« Reply #35 on: 17 Jun 2011, 05:19 pm »
You know we're going to get the power cord comparison threads now.  :banghead:

avahifi

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:04 pm »
Yah, lets see how badly you can beat the power cord we supply with the unit!  I am really anxious to know.

Of course you are going to have to actually buy one of our new units with removeable power cord first.  :(

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #37 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:43 pm »
That would educate them, put a $1000 power cord up against a $1.25 power cord.

I am sure they would dream something up though.

TomW16

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:36 pm »
Congratulations on the new IEC power jack.  I would anticipate that it will appease those customers who will want to roll their own cables.  More importantly, it will allow people to put customized lengths of cables on their equipment.

All the best and continued success.

Kind regards,
Tom

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jun 2011, 06:45 pm »

Probably not a bad side effect, as many people I have seen use convenience outlets on equipment were often connecting components beyond the rated loads.

That's right, time to put your money where your mouth is!

Steve

Guilty, your honor.  I fried the Dynaco PAT-5 power switch on a used PAT-5 AND on the used PAT5/FET-II
I got from Frank that I had plugged the power amp into.  Frank said, "Don't do that."