A couple of new items for 2016 at AVA.....

Wayner

A couple of new items for 2016 at AVA.....
« on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:32 pm »
We have found a great source for cartridge mounting screws! They are for clearance hole type cartridge mounting such as on the Grado Prestige line. The Hardware is stainless steel, the fastener heads are cap screw style so they will require a 5/64 allen wrench (not included). The size is #2-56. The fastener kit contains 4 sets of screws in 4 different lengths: 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1". Also provided are 2 flat washers, 2 split washers and 2 square nuts. The sides of the square nuts are longer then that of a regular hex head, and make tightening much more secure.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=248&Itemid=245

While visiting the website, feel free to check out Frank's lineup of amps, preamps, DACs, phono preamps (MM/MC) and of course, the Grado Longhorn and cartridge alignment tools.

I am also including "free" with the cartridge alignment tools kit #1, a VTA gauge. This is useful for setting VTA if you wish your arm to be parallel to the record surface. It's made from 140lb card stock, and printed directly off of my CAD, like all of the other products in the cartridge alignment tools. Simply set your stylus in a record groove with the table off, and position the card behind it for straight on viewing. Compare the surface of the arm with the grid to achieve a parallel arm. Works best with straight tube arms (arms without a taper), but can work with tapered arm tubes if you view the top and bottom surfaces.

Wayner

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: A couple of new items for 2016 at AVA.....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:47 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the update Wayner.  :thumb: Maybe it's time to open up my kit, watch the DVD, and check things out. I've only had it for about a year I think.  :duh:

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:55 pm »
It is funny how many cartridge alignment tools need to be aligned before they can align the cartridge. Why does it have to be this way, why........

G E

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2016, 08:47 pm »
Allen key screws are the cat's whiskers.

I swapped out cartridges yesterday and have these kind of screws.  Made the task much, much simpler.  Blade screwdrivers always slip out of slotted screws, not the case with Allen wrenches.  The last thing you want with cartridge installation is unintended movements....

BTW Wayner, I really like your tool for VTA adjustment.  Is it possible to calculate stylus rake angle with this?  i.e. - count over "X" number of squares for a "Y" squares rise is equivalent of 1 degree stylus rake? This of course assumes the stylus is at 90 degrees with a level tonearm.

I bought your cartridge alignment tool several years ago and it is a great tool.  Not using it now as I currently have a Well Tempered Amadeus TT and the manufacturer's philosophy is to disallow conventional cartridge set up. One set of mounting holes, not slots, no overhang adjustment possible.  A bit of a leap of faith, but I know what I hear and I like it.  Still, i plan to keep your cartridge alignment tool set should I move on to other turntables down the line.  I'd like to have your VTA tool as well, particularly if one can use it to fairly accurately estimate stylus rake.  Would you sell this separately?

Greg