Will This Fancy Metallic Glue Kill Soldering?

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate

rcag_ils

Re: Will This Fancy Metallic Glue Kill Soldering?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2016, 06:13 pm »
Not quite ready for "Shark Tank", I take it.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2016, 06:20 pm »
Awesome!

My concerns are, how do you change stuff when you have it? And it's hard to imagine using it in audio electronics where you resolder things often. It seems mostly suited for computers that will never get serviced because any failures will be on a time that far exceed warranty.

I'd love a very good alternative to lead solder. Lead free is not, it's a total bitch.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2016, 06:45 pm »
Awesome!

My concerns are, how do you change stuff when you have it? And it's hard to imagine using it in audio electronics where you resolder things often. It seems mostly suited for computers that will never get serviced because any failures will be on a time that far exceed warranty.

I'd love a very good alternative to lead solder. Lead free is not, it's a total bitch.

WBT lead free is easy to use. It just takes some getting used to. Many years ago I used to work at a stained glass studio, for that kind of work lead free was very difficult but for electronics it's really easy once you get used to it.

Glue is interesting but seems like a solution for large scale manufacturing as it's not so easy to "de-solder" I'd guess... as you said...

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:51 pm »
Soundcraftsmen kind of invented wire twisting (on a stake) years ago, tho their circuit boards were obviously soldered.

Since almost all boards now days are CNC stuffed and soldered, I'm not sure how this would impact the electronics industry (at all), but may be of interest to DIYers simply because of the intended use and not containing lead.

Kind of reminds me of when water saver toilets came out.........

:)

yeldarb

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:18 am »
Soundcraftsman's internal wiring was supposed to be "sniped" from military construction.  Their wiring was tightly wound around a square shank, with the corners "biting" into the wire.  My old Soundcraftsman Mosfet amp and pre-amp are still alive and kicking.  Sold them to a guy I worked with.  Did have an output transistor fail, which was hard to find.  My tech friend said there was an internal break in the wire connecting it and that is what took it out.  So, a great way to connect the boards and transistors, taken down by a bad piece of wire.

My AVA 4i pre, upgraded as much as Frank can do, just kicked the Soundcraftsman preamp to the curb.  It was pleasant enough.  And it always got a local radio station on the phono section.  Could have capped it out, but never bothered.  No tuner needed.   :icon_lol:  Might have been ok if it had been music programming, but it was "preaching".  Should have claimed a "miracle" and gotten more for it.

Tubeburner

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:48 am »
If it doesn't sound good, it has no place in audio.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2016, 05:13 am »
It will depend upon how much it costs and what infrastructure contract manufacturers will need to put in place to deploy it.

If it can be reworked would be one of several priorities that would need to be evaluated prior to deployment.

printed circuit boards that utilize mesoglue would most likely need to undergo destructive testing to see how well it holds up.  Destructive testing is expensive and usually involves vibration and thermal cycling.

HsvHeelFan

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2016, 05:58 am »
Wire twisting? We call it wire wrap at work. They are quite reliable in telco eq.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2016, 06:33 am »
Wire twisting? We call it wire wrap at work. They are quite reliable in telco eq.

That's exactly what it's called.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2016, 06:49 am »
WBT lead free is easy to use. It just takes some getting used to. Many years ago I used to work at a stained glass studio, for that kind of work lead free was very difficult but for electronics it's really easy once you get used to it.

Glue is interesting but seems like a solution for large scale manufacturing as it's not so easy to "de-solder" I'd guess... as you said...

Unfortunately a lot of that stuff has a tendency to grow hairs. I recommend it for larger work, speakers, binding posts, cables, etc.

But yes my experience with WBT is it's not too bad. I still have a little bit of it.