First ever once in a decade Daedalus spring cleaning sale!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: First ever once in a decade Daedalus spring cleaning sale!
« Reply #40 on: 9 Jan 2018, 02:12 pm »
My apologies, Ashgar.

In reality, the Ulysses are not appropriate for my listening room(s). However, this doesn't prevent me from fantasizing over them.  :lol:

I think Barcelona is a great choice, too.

HiFidFan

« Reply #41 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:24 am »
Yes the new owner jumped on these, very sweet deal. He is having the woofers and tweeters upgraded, very nice! :thumb:
Somebody is going to get a killer deal on the Ulysses, I'm surprised they are not gone already!

Darn, I missed these!  Congrats to the new owner!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:09 am »
Darn, I missed these!  Congrats to the new owner!

The Muse are gone but the Ulysses are still up for grabs, very sweet deal for some lucky soul.. :thumb:

cheech

« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2018, 07:09 pm »
Lou, do the  demo Ulysses have 2 different color bottom panels or it just an aberration of the picture? Also, are these able to be modified with the lastest Dueland/Mundorf  resistors and caps you are using?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 12 Jan 2018, 07:50 pm »
Lou, do the  demo Ulysses have 2 different color bottom panels or it just an aberration of the picture? Also, are these able to be modified with the lastest Dueland/Mundorf  resistors and caps you are using?

As the cherry aged on these the one panel darkened while the other did not, very odd and I am not sure if that was their placement in a home for a year where one received little light and the other a lot of light? If that is the case then if these are placed in a room with a lot of natural light the panels may end up closer in color? When in a system it is not a big deal but it does look odd when side by side.  We could look into routing out the panels and replacing them but that is a lot of work. The price on these does provide for doing that work.... 
Yes I will do that Duelund/Mundorf mod with out the install charge.
thanks,
lou

A_shah

Re: First ever once idn a decade Daedalus spring cleaning sale!
« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:38 am »
 :D :thumb:
[/quote]
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2018, 03:43 am by A_shah »

soundofrockets

« Reply #46 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:35 am »
hi. where in northern california !! 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 8 Feb 2018, 03:14 pm »
Congrats Asghar, a most worthy addition to any system. No doubt you'll only love their sound more as time goes on.  8)

A_shah

« Reply #48 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:53 pm »
Congrats Asghar, a most worthy addition to any system. No doubt you'll only love their sound more as time goes on.  8)

Thank you :thankyou:
Asghar

MegaHz

« Reply #49 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:54 pm »
Fantastic deal Asghar.  Lets us know how they mix with their new home.

rbbert

« Reply #50 on: 8 Feb 2018, 08:26 pm »
Nice!

A_shah

« Reply #51 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:12 am »
Perhaps the main reason I ended up choosing Ulysses over Poseidon or other Daedalus speakers is the tweeter height.  In my room, listening distance and chair height, the mid-point of the 2 Ulysses tweeters is almost exactly the same height as my ears.  If you have a bigger room, listen farther away and/or your ear height is higher than mine, one of the other models might work better.  Another thing to consider is bass response; I use a REL S3/SHO sub, without which (again, in my room and with my speaker placement) the Ulysses  lack the last little bit of bass "heft", which might not be as true with the 10" woofer systems

Rob,
I do have a very good Sub woofer Dr. Hsu VTF MK11 it is has 15 " powered woofer , but I really do not  care for a sub woofer in a two channel system unless need be.
my choice was between the Apollo or the Poseidon ( Apollo 11 would have been too big for my needs ) and for room environment and size Ulysses  V2 which Lou had and we listened to it for a while, and did A/B Demo would not have cut it
when we were Demoing A/B between Apollo 11 & Poseidon, Lou practically read my mind and said both are very close except i found the 11's to be slightly bright

@ MegaHz
thank you !
the units come in tomorrow Friday 9, will listen to them for 2 days and than write about my experience on A/C  Sunday  evening

just a few questions for Daedalus owners if they care to answer .
1. Placement , what is  the distance between the speakers room size 15 W , 34 feet L (listening area is 15W X20L x9 H I sit about 14 feet from the speakers ) open plan Kitchen Ceiling sloping from 15 feet in the kitchen area to 9 feet )
2. distance between the front wall and the Speakers
3. what sort or feet or out riggers , spikes are you using ? my new flooring is cherry hardwood over concrete , and I have to two maple Boos cutting boards under my magnipans ,
Room is untreated(WAF) but do have heavy  curtains and furniture placed strategically & carpet to defuse first reflection point , I own a 14 year old Radio shack SPL meter and use Audyssey software on my Marantz HT  receiver to check the room nodes  but leave everything above 200HZ alone.
HT system which consists of front passive LS 50's  is separate from my two channel listening .
4. Semi dedicated line with PS audio outlets.
Thank you all
Asghar

jriggy

« Reply #52 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:57 pm »
Rob,
I do have a very good Sub woofer Dr. Hsu VTF MK11 it is has 15 " powered woofer , but I really do not  care for a sub woofer in a two channel system unless need be.
my choice was between the Apollo or the Poseidon ( Apollo 11 would have been too big for my needs ) and for room environment and size Ulysses  V2 which Lou had and we listened to it for a while, and did A/B Demo would not have cut it
when we were Demoing A/B between Apollo 11 & Poseidon, Lou practically read my mind and said both are very close except i found the 11's to be slightly bright

@ MegaHz
thank you !
the units come in tomorrow Friday 9, will listen to them for 2 days and than write about my experience on A/C  Sunday  evening

just a few questions for Daedalus owners if they care to answer .
1. Placement , what is  the distance between the speakers room size 15 W , 34 feet L (listening area is 15W X20L x9 H I sit about 14 feet from the speakers ) open plan Kitchen Ceiling sloping from 15 feet in the kitchen area to 9 feet )
2. distance between the front wall and the Speakers
3. what sort or feet or out riggers , spikes are you using ? my new flooring is cherry hardwood over concrete , and I have to two maple Boos cutting boards under my magnipans ,
Room is untreated(WAF) but do have heavy  curtains and furniture placed strategically & carpet to defuse first reflection point , I own a 14 year old Radio shack SPL meter and use Audyssey software on my Marantz HT  receiver to check the room nodes  but leave everything above 200HZ alone.
HT system which consists of front passive LS 50's  is separate from my two channel listening .
4. Semi dedicated line with PS audio outlets.
Thank you all
Asghar

Congrats!!! You are going to love them for sure!

I have owned two pairs of Daedalus (Ulysses, then Argos due to a very troubled room) and have tried diferent set-ups with the Argos in both rooms.
Lou’s speakers like to be a bit farther apart than, say the Cardas placement method or similar.
9ft apart (center to center) give or take is their sweet zone. In my smaller room I’ve had as close as 8’ 6”  with no toe-in. But in the new larger 18x23 + openings and vaulted ceiling, I’ve had them as far as 9’10” with a fair amount of toe-in and now 9’3” with just a hair of toe-in—not including the angled front baffle.

It’s like in a good room, you can tailor Daedalus to a type of soundstage you like... I’ve got them where I can ad or subtract that lil 1/4” of toe-in and either have a more recessed and separated images soundstage OR a more forward big bubble ‘live hall’ staging. Literally down to this little toe-in tilt or not. Pretty cool.

Hopefully your vaulted ceiling raises as it goes away from the speakers. If not you may want to treat it.
And of course your distance from front wall is room/bass dependent. Mine are 63 & 1/2 inches out (from front baffle) and I sit 12 & 1/2 feet from each speaker... Boy do these things really shine in a big room!

Enjoy!

Jason

A_shah

« Reply #53 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:20 pm »
Bummer !!
FedEx just delivered only one speaker Box instead of 2 ! the other one is still floating around some where in Tacoma Washington !

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 10 Feb 2018, 01:23 am »
Most of the time FedEx get's it right but sometimes the packages come over a couple days. I'm sure it will be there monday this is not unusual or cause for any alarm.
still I'm sorry they are not both there so you could play with them all weekend! :cry:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 10 Feb 2018, 01:24 am »

I have owned two pairs of Daedalus (Ulysses, then Argos due to a very troubled room) and have tried diferent set-ups with the Argos in both rooms.
Lou’s speakers like to be a bit farther apart than, say the Cardas placement method or similar.
9ft apart (center to center) give or take is their sweet zone. In my smaller room I’ve had as close as 8’ 6”  with no toe-in. But in the new larger 18x23 + openings and vaulted ceiling, I’ve had them as far as 9’10” with a fair amount of toe-in and now 9’3” with just a hair of toe-in—not including the angled front baffle.

It’s like in a good room, you can tailor Daedalus to a type of soundstage you like... I’ve got them where I can ad or subtract that lil 1/4” of toe-in and either have a more recessed and separated images soundstage OR a more forward big bubble ‘live hall’ staging. Literally down to this little toe-in tilt or not. Pretty cool.

Hopefully your vaulted ceiling raises as it goes away from the speakers. If not you may want to treat it.
And of course your distance from front wall is room/bass dependent. Mine are 63 & 1/2 inches out (from front baffle) and I sit 12 & 1/2 feet from each speaker... Boy do these things really shine in a big room!

Enjoy!

Jason

Thanks Jason!  Good description :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #56 on: 10 Feb 2018, 02:47 am »
Ashgar,

I’ll come clean. I’ve suffered speaker envy ever since you chose the Poseidon speakers. I sabotaged your delivery by plying the appropriate delivery men and women with copious amounts of Ardbeg Uigeadail which I found here in Corvallis. I’m sure that once the drivers have recovered their wits, your other speaker will appear.

Congratulations on your new speakers. I hope the missing one shows up soon.

Michael

A_shah

« Reply #57 on: 10 Feb 2018, 05:00 am »
Ashgar,

I’ll come clean. I’ve suffered speaker envy ever since you chose the Poseidon speakers. I sabotaged your delivery by plying the appropriate delivery men and women with copious amounts of Ardbeg Uigeadail which I found here in Corvallis. I’m sure that once the drivers have recovered their wits, your other speaker will appear.

Congratulations on your new speakers. I hope the missing one shows up soon.

Michael

Michael
I figured it was you who sabotaged my delivery , Pretty Please  with sugar on it have fedEx delivery the right speaker to my door , I can assure you are not missing anything ! Apollo's are GR8 speakers I think my wife would have loved  them !  Wig,  suggested I listen to the left speaker in  mono and move my chair closer to the speaker , Hmmm ! not a bad idea , I will ask my son to help me open it tomorrow and  try that out. :wine:
Thanks .

Asghar

A_shah

« Reply #58 on: 10 Feb 2018, 05:05 am »
Most of the time FedEx get's it right but sometimes the packages come over a couple days. I'm sure it will be there monday this is not unusual or cause for any alarm.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2018, 06:50 pm by A_shah »

A_shah

« Reply #59 on: 10 Feb 2018, 05:26 am »

Enjoy!

Jason

Jason,
this sure helps
thank you
Asghar :D