Modwright LS 100 Blowing rectifier tube and fuse

Meechy

Modwright LS 100 Blowing rectifier tube and fuse
« on: 29 Feb 2016, 05:26 am »
Hey everyone, I'm new on here and need a little information. I bought a new Modwright LS 100 preamp a year ago and have gone through 3 rectifier tubes and fuses. This usually happened every 3 months or so. I leave the unit on for about 100 hours a week then shut it down for usually 4 days then start up again. Is it not good to leave these tube preamps on that long at one time?? Or can they stay on all the time? Does the rectifier tube get so hot after long periods of being on then blow the next time you turn it on? I'm now shutting the unit off everyday and we will see what happens. I will call Dan at Mod one of these days and see what he thinks. Also looking at changing all the tubes and do some rolling. I'm just not confident with this pre yet. I'm new to the tube equipment, my amps are Sanders Magtech and ESL in biamped mode with ATC towers custom built speakers. Project RPM 9.1 turntable with Clearaudio Maestro V2 MM cartridge with Sim Audio phono LP310 with separate power supply. PS Audio Transport and Direct Stream Dac. Shunyata Talos power conditioning with Harmonic Technology, AudioQuest and PS Audio cabling. Thanks, looking forward to being part of the family!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Modwright LS 100 Blowing rectifier tube and fuse
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2016, 10:58 am »
Welcome Meechy :thumb:
100 hours around the clock is too much for any tube.
Thats just my personal opinion.
I will move this topic to ModWright Instruments where Mod guys will help you.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2016, 02:16 pm »
Just call Modwright. They are very helpful.

Meechy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2016, 07:37 pm »
Thanks guys, Yes I did hear that staying on for long periods might not be good for tube life.