Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

JoshK

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #460 on: 20 Oct 2015, 01:20 pm »

My afternoon is now loaded for new music. 

That is why I like this thread.  There is so much metal out there and not all of it appeals to everyone, so finding your specific tastes takes a lot of digging.

FireGuy

« Reply #461 on: 25 Oct 2015, 11:48 pm »
So I just stumbled upon the website http://www.progmetalzone.com/ .  I think I'd seen an article from there before.  Its a great resource for albums coming out that fit the greater prog metal description.   They have two top 50 lists for the years 2013 and 2014 that are loaded with great albums and tons of new stuff to explore.   

http://www.progmetalzone.com/2013/prog-metal-zone-2013-top-50-albums-2/
http://www.progmetalzone.com/2014/prog-metal-zone-2014-top-50-albums-in-alphabetical-order/

For me new finds were Fallujah and Voyager from 2014 (so far).

Great way to spend a Sunday night.  Oh how far we have come...  to help us discover new music.  No longer tethered and nestled next to FM's teat telling us what is good, what is hip and what we should buy.

Miserium's Return To Grace is quite the audio ride.  This desc is  priceless; "dark, dramatic soundscapes mixed excellently with exquisite melodic as well as funk, baroque and even some reggae influence."  Awesome band name too.

PRELUDE

« Reply #462 on: 25 Oct 2015, 11:57 pm »
What a stench !

I have few albums from them. I bought them when I was in Europe. They are from Austria.
I listened to new Slayer today few times. So far I like the album.

FireGuy

« Reply #463 on: 28 Oct 2015, 12:00 am »
Draconian's release date for their new work (Sovran) is Oct 30th.   I see no reason to pull them from my top spot.   Doom genre executed at its very best...  IMO>  It appears the loss of lead singer Lisa Johansson won't be as much of an impact as initially thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbviwAuEXqc

milford3

« Reply #464 on: 28 Oct 2015, 05:41 pm »
Draconian's release date for their new work (Sovran) is Oct 30th.   I see no reason to pull them from my top spot.   Doom genre executed at its very best...  IMO>  It appears the loss of lead singer Lisa Johansson won't be as much of an impact as initially thought.

Had this new Draconian release on my Omegas this morning.  I concur FireGuy, Draconian has this genre wrapped up.  Draconian will be on my Audeze LCD2's tonight with a bottle of Guinness Drought. :beer: :beer: :beer:

JoshK

« Reply #465 on: 30 Oct 2015, 06:24 pm »
Friday afternoon at work listening....  (cause the what are you listening to thread is big and unrelated mostly)

Gojira - The way of all flesh
https://youtu.be/uecj-Y00bP4

prior to that was
Leprous - Bilateral

FireGuy

« Reply #466 on: 30 Oct 2015, 11:35 pm »

Okay... been spending the last hour on the new release (CD).   For all metal heads who have not discovered Doom you need to take the time and discover this band (genre).  Hopefully some of you will find it addicting as I.   Found this new work to be similar to their first couple of albums; with one exception...  Sovran has taken the Gothic/Doom genre to it's pinnacle.  You would think changing their lead singer would slightly change the character of the music but in this case it has been enhanced.  Gorgeous vocal from Heike Langhans throughout.  Guitars float in space, haunting and and spot on.  LFE also integrates exceptionally well... not too over the top.   My expectations here were high.  And they've been met head on.  "Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!!  The Metal Thread.  Love it.

milford3

« Reply #467 on: 30 Oct 2015, 11:52 pm »
Okay... been spending the last hour on the new release (CD).   For all metal heads who have not discovered Doom you need to take the time and discover this band (genre).  Hopefully some of you will find it addicting as I.   Found this new work to be similar to their first couple of albums; with one exception...  Sovran has taken the Gothic/Doom genre to it's pinnacle.  You would think changing their lead singer would slightly change the character of the music but in this case it has been enhanced.  Gorgeous vocal from Heike Langhans throughout.  Guitars float in space, haunting and and spot on.  LFE also integrates exceptionally well... not too over the top.   My expectations here were high.  And they've been met head on.  "Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!!  The Metal Thread.  LoveHeike Langhans it.

Did not know what to expect from this release.  I knew Lisa would be missed.  Haunting Gothic/Doom from Heike Langhans
will a thrill to listen to.

milford3

« Reply #468 on: 30 Oct 2015, 11:53 pm »

Did not know what to expect from this release.  I knew Lisa would be missed.  Haunting Gothic/Doom from Heike Langhans
willbe a thrill to listen to.

FireGuy

« Reply #469 on: 1 Nov 2015, 01:30 am »
Introducing Earthside and their debut effort "A Dream In Static".  A stunning piece of Dreamscape Prog. 

JoshK

« Reply #470 on: 2 Nov 2015, 03:23 pm »
Listening to Earthside now.  Excellente! 

While I appreciate Draconium's talent.  I am still apathetic with doom; especially the vocal styling (female singer excluded). 

milford3

« Reply #471 on: 2 Nov 2015, 06:24 pm »
Okay... been spending the last hour on the new release (CD).   For all metal heads who have not discovered Doom you need to take the time and discover this band (genre).  Hopefully some of you will find it addicting as I.   Found this new work to be similar to their first couple of albums; with one exception...  Sovran has taken the Gothic/Doom genre to it's pinnacle.  You would think changing their lead singer would slightly change the character of the music but in this case it has been enhanced.  Gorgeous vocal from Heike Langhans throughout.  Guitars float in space, haunting and and spot on.  LFE also integrates exceptionally well... not too over the top.   My expectations here were high.  And they've been met head on.  "Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!!  The Metal Thread.  Love it.

Sovran is magical, soothing, melancholic and dreamy adventure, yet it is ponderous, powerful and heavy by partly remaining loyal to the formula from their debut album, Where Lovers Mourn (2003), where the band made a deviation from their early death/black metal days into a dark and doomy metal style which convinced fans of bands like My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and early Anathema. Also productional wise Sovran is absolutely flawless, it has depth, dynamics, clear sound,... simply great. Now the band is walking on higher grounds and are near to conquering the throne of gothic/doom metal genre. Sovran is a strong candidate for album of the year 2015. A must!!!

I will have this CD in a few days.  The above is a review that was sent to me.

JoshK

« Reply #472 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:25 pm »
Insomnium - Shadows Of The Dying Sun

Demarche

« Reply #473 on: 3 Nov 2015, 11:17 pm »
The Sword - High Country

JoshK

« Reply #474 on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:40 am »
Great album demarcate. 

I'm listening tO Persephone spiritual migration on my home theater rather than my usual headphone setup.  Holy cow this is my album of my year.

JoshK

« Reply #475 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:57 pm »
I saw The Contortionist open for TesseracT on Friday.  Excellent show in general.  Standing room type spot with roughly 600 people, maybe more.  Sound was overall pretty decent but whoever did Tesseract's mix had pretty fucky ears.

I had pretty decent expectations for Tesseract and other than a poor mix were pretty darn good, although they kinda started out mediocre by song 3 they were tight.  The Contortionist though really blew my mind.  Their drummer is super sick!

Going to see Mastodon open for Judas Priest on Thursday.  Looking forward to Mastodon.

FireGuy

« Reply #476 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:03 am »
Although the audio quality suffers a bit... a nice effort by Harakiri For The Sky... in the black metal genre.  I found some patience with it delivers a welcome reward.

JoshK

« Reply #477 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:00 pm »
Will check them out.

I recently began going to concerts with a guy who hangs out at my local bar when I learned that we shared similar music tastes.   He is about my age, grew up in Mexico city, been playing the guitar since 14 and teaches guitar.   We have been exchanging tips about bands to check out.   

He suggested the following:
Redemption - same vocalist as Fate's Warning and the one album I listened to sounded to me exactly like Dream Theater ala 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but with a better singer.

Believer -  this is a Christian metal band that he thought were seminal and groundbreaking.  I couldn't really get into the vocals, but they were pretty technical and way ahead of their time, or at least on the forefront.  Pretty good musically, but the vocals I could do without.

Revocation:   Ok, this one is my cup of tea.  Technical extreme metal with really interesting melodic solos.  The vocals is growling and screams but fairly understandable and retain human vocal characteristics.   

JoshK

« Reply #478 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:28 pm »
Funny video about metal
https://youtu.be/asax9s2xmlU   (warning bad language)

FireGuy

« Reply #479 on: 11 Nov 2015, 11:06 pm »
Funny video about metal
https://youtu.be/asax9s2xmlU   (warning bad language)

:lol:  Lounge Metal.  Freaken Nice!