Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

simoon

Re: Prog Rock/metal
« Reply #380 on: 8 Aug 2014, 07:42 pm »
In a somewhat similar vein, recently published list from Prog Magazine ... how many of these do you own (I have 67)?

Prog Magazine Top 100

1. Close To The Edge – Yes
2. In The Court of the Crimson King – King Crimson
98. Tago Mago – Can
99. Moving Waves – Focus
100. Drama - Yes

I own 83 of them.

This list is completely bogus. Laughable, really.

Some of the best prog ever comes from Italy, and there's not a single Italian band on the list. Not to mention bands from Sweden, France and Germany that deserve to be on the list.

PFM, Banco, Il Baletto di Bronzo, Le Orme, all had several releases that deserve to be there.

The best prog rating site is http://gnosis2000.net. They have over a 100 raters from all over the world rating, and their top 20 look like this:

King Crimson - Lark's Tongue (Special edition)
King Crimson - In the Court (Special edition)
PFM - Per un Amico
Jethro Tull - Aqualung (Special edition)
Banco - Darwin!
King Crimson - Lizard (Special Edition)
Anglagard - Hybris (a brilliant release from Sweden from 1992)
Genesis - Selling England by the Pond
YES - Close to the Edge
Banco - Io Sono Nato Libero
PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto
Hatfield and the North - Rotters' Club
Van Der Graph Generator - Pawn Hearts
Genesis - Foxtrot
King Crimson - Red
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Hatfield and The North - Hatfield and The North
Magma - Hhai / Live (a French band criminally left off the list)
Gentle Giant - Glass House (a bit too low on the list)

But then, I wouldn't have a single Rush album on my list, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

* those King Crimson special edition's are the latest reissues remastered by Steve Wilson. He did an incredible job!

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #381 on: 8 Aug 2014, 11:59 pm »
I didn't get to peruse the whole thread, but one band I got turned onto recently is a Serbian group that was called Tako. Admittedly I still don't know much about them, but I really like their eponymous debut album from 1978. The album art reminds me of a...wrist watch?

Anyway, I think the arrangements are clever and enjoyable, without becoming too cheezy or arcane and losing direction. Maybe it doesn't belong on a 'list', but I had fun with it.

maxboy00

« Reply #382 on: 9 Aug 2014, 12:02 am »
Prog Rock greats, IMHO, at least

Dream Theater

Transalantic

Flowerkings

Queensryche, in their day up to Q2K

I also have many CD from the above list as well, sad Maiden's "Final Frontier " not on the list.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #383 on: 9 Aug 2014, 06:24 pm »
I didn't get to peruse the whole thread, but one band I got turned onto recently is a Serbian group that was called Tako. Admittedly I still don't know much about them, but I really like their eponymous debut album from 1978. The album art reminds me of a...wrist watch?

Anyway, I think the arrangements are clever and enjoyable, without becoming too cheezy or arcane and losing direction. Maybe it doesn't belong on a 'list', but I had fun with it.
Nice album tanks for mention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsOyRa3rKg
Its very rare today found slower music than 4/4.

BobM

« Reply #384 on: 11 Aug 2014, 03:04 pm »
Josh,

Just checked out this album recommended by Michael Fremer. I think you might like this one.

Volto - Incitare

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/volto-aims-tear-your-woofer-cones-their-surrounds

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #385 on: 11 Aug 2014, 06:39 pm »
One more faceless band, fans of the genre will love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qHqBS04A9s

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #386 on: 11 Aug 2014, 08:54 pm »
Thanks for reminding me about Volto!  Just downloaded 24/96...

JoshK

« Reply #387 on: 13 Aug 2014, 10:49 pm »
Volto is alright

Came across another....  Animals as Leaders.   Heavy and instrumental, but pretty damn good.   Bit heavier than Russian Circles.

I am seeing Nothing More tonight.   People say they are Prog, I don't think they are at all, but they are still decent.  Similar to newer Karnivool but a tad less Prog.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #388 on: 13 Aug 2014, 11:44 pm »
Josh, certainly Volto is more Prog/Jazz than metal, so it will appeal more to those that lean a little more to the Prog side...  It is going to take me awhile to decipher all that is going on in Incitare, some pretty dense/complex music here!

JoshK

« Reply #389 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:48 pm »
FYI, Opeth's North American Tour just went on sale, or actually presale.   Go to opeth.com.

FireGuy

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #390 on: 13 Sep 2014, 08:48 pm »
Here's a most excellent Black metal band I've recently discovered.   I posted on another music circle thread recently but think it needs to go to this thread as well.

http://www.infernalmasquerade.com/?q=reviews/002758-harakiri-sky-%E2%80%93-aokigahara-2014

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #391 on: 14 Sep 2014, 07:04 pm »
What do you Mastodon fans think of the new album?

Just picked up Once More 'Round The Sun.  Much different than Crack The Skye.   More hard rock oriented to my thinking.  On second listen it is growing on me.

PRELUDE

« Reply #392 on: 2 Nov 2014, 12:27 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hze4Z9HNog

Just got the brand new EXODUS and the original singer Steve Zetro Souza came back in this album. :thumb:

PRELUDE

« Reply #393 on: 5 Nov 2014, 02:42 am »
ASOMVEL
They are from U.K and been around since 1993 and I never heard them before. :|
Boy, they sound like MOTORHEAD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmb50z3Zz1k

Ericus Rex

« Reply #394 on: 6 Nov 2014, 12:21 pm »
Been kinda disappointed with metal lately.  The latest releases by my favs have all been sub-par.  Opeth, Mastodon, Satyricon, Gojira to name a few.

simoon

« Reply #395 on: 8 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm »
My 2 latest discoveries, thanks to progmetalzone.com (some great reviews there), are:

Tesseract - Altered State

and

The Contortionist - Language

Both of these have a bit in common: very high level of musicianship, great deal of complexity, some (almost) ambient moments juxtaposed with the more brutal moments, some great melodies, and emotion.

Tesseract has all clean vocals, where The Contortionist uses a mixture of clean and growls. The contortionist has a bit more metal intensity, Tesseract is a bit more laid back.

Interesting that the both have geometric spheres on their CD covers.

But if very complex metal, played with 'chops from hell' is your thing, you can't do much better.

Been kinda disappointed with metal lately.  The latest releases by my favs have all been sub-par.  Opeth, Mastodon, Satyricon, Gojira to name a few.

Coming into metal from the progressive music side of things, the latest Opeth and their new direction, does not disappoint me at all. 'Pale Communion' is a great prog album. They released plenty of great metal albums. If they want to continue in the prog direction, I have no problem.

In my opinion, they are no lonnger a metal band (releasing disappointing metal albums). They are now a progressive band releasing some great prog.

kingdeezie

« Reply #396 on: 8 Nov 2014, 11:46 pm »
I agree. While not "metal," the new Opeth album is great.

FireGuy

« Reply #397 on: 9 Nov 2014, 01:34 am »

Pretty impressive.  Excellent mix with some vocal shades of Katatonia... even a hint of Tiamat.  A collage of sound.

FireGuy

« Reply #398 on: 9 Nov 2014, 01:46 am »
TESSERACT - Altered State

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #399 on: 12 Nov 2014, 01:53 am »
Metallica, now, on the capital mall. Who would of thunk Metallica would be could considered mainstream?  Kirk Hammet is looking OLD man!