Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

PRELUDE

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #280 on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:39 am »
Wow Prelude, what wonderful news you bring!   I swear, I am totally in the dark about what new metal releases there are.  8)  Even though it's not really "candlemass" to me without Messiah singing, I still do enjoy most everything they've done with different singers nevertheless.  (I just think it makes more sense to call different groups of indiviuals by a different collective name when they make something together.  But that's not how it works.  Oh well.)
Wes Benscotter on the Kreator I assume?
I am a huge Messiah fun but as you said,I am 100% agree with you on call it different group or just another metal album. :thumb:
Now end of this month and the next one,I have few concert tickets to go.
1.Kreator/Accept
2.Paradise lost
3.Nightwish
4.Korpiklaani

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #281 on: 16 Aug 2012, 02:59 am »
Testament hasn't been mentioned yet?  I always thought they should have been called 'The Big 5' - Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and Testament.

I saw Testament open up for Slayer back in '91 (my first concert). I liked Testament before the concert, but after seeing them, I ran out and bought all their tapes.  Just a kick-ass band that I think hot over-shadowed by the big 4 IMO.

Talk about loud...
Testament's guitar player was sound-checking while we were waiting outside for the doors to open.  The arena they played in had huge glass windows that were rattling, and you could hear every note as clear as day. Not to mention that he played the hell out of the guitar during his sound-check.  Everyone outside was amazed.

Their latest....#10... :thumb:

Testament - "Dark Roots of Earth" SAMPLES...

nathanm

« Reply #282 on: 20 Aug 2012, 07:24 pm »
Yeah, I saw that one too.  Even though I haven't really liked a Testament album for a long time I almost wanna get that one on vinyl just for the cover art.  I was kind of surprised at the number of releases I've seen on Amazon where vinyl is available.  A shame about the huge price markup, but just the fact that it's offered at all is very cool.

Hey, I think I found that guy's brother.  Must be some kind of giant mountain-faced clan or something.  This guy's sad though, cause he's got no followers. Poor fella.

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 03:01 am by nathanm »

PRELUDE

« Reply #283 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:28 am »
I was looking for a old band and just found this awesome live by AC/DC.
It is a full concert enjoy. :thumb: :thumb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqvwnz6pqA&feature=related

Rclark

« Reply #284 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:17 am »
Damn thanks! I'm gonna put that on my system tonight and play it till I pass out  :thumb:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #285 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:54 am »
I've always loved the web of music discovery into which each thread weaves – finding an artist one likes opens the door to a wealth of connections. I've been a Porcupine Tree consumer for some time. When I discovered that Steven Wilson was working on a project with Mikael Åkerfeldt, I also discovered that I really like Opeth's latest release. That led me to Soen, which I rather like as well. It also led me to Arjen Lucassen (with whom Mikael worked on an Ayreon project), who blasted the doors wide open. One of the many discoveries from that pool is Epica. 

I didn't realize metal was so operatic. It gets a bit bombastic, but not in a bad way. The contrast of Simone's (the connection to Arjen) voice with the gruntals (grunted vocals – seems the appropriate term) is used to good effect. Musically, it moves and the instruments are played with skill. It's not at all the type of music that I've historically chosen, but I like it.

On a side note, I've found a disproportionate number of northern European bands that really 'do it for me' – in a wide variety of genres.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #286 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:22 pm »
Been meaning to jump in here since any forum devoted to metal - more so an audiophile one - deserves a big "hell yeah".  Lot's of new bands to check out since going through the threads.

Just thought I'd give a shout out to some bands not previously mentioned, in case they're not known:

Cavalera Conspiracy - brothers from Sepultura.  The first "Inflikted" album (circa 2007) has been one of my favorite recent albums.  Awesome thrash metal.

The Sword - love that deep heavy Sabbath sound.

Oldie but goodies :

Sacred Reich.  Anyone remember this band?  Particularly the Surf Nicaragua album or their War Pigs cover?

Nuclear Assault.  "Hang the Pope" wouldn't have much shock value today, but in its day was novel.

So many more - as you can see I like thrash metal.....if anyone knows of any recent good straight-up thrash metal bands, please let me know.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #287 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:06 pm »
My apologies if this is not "kosher" for a "music" circle - couldn't find any guidelines to the contrary on the music circle board - but just wondering if anyone cares to weigh in on gear they've found to be particularly suitable for metal music.  Know that's kinda broad, as is metal, but I'll throw in a few based on stuff I've owned / heard:

Early system was Acurus DIA 100 integrated + Rega Planet + Energy Pro-22's.  All by today's standard were on the "darker" side.  Acurus had the cheap muscle.  Planet had good rhythm.  Energy produced the bass.  Later went to "brighter" gear, not alway with happier results.

Naturally found tube amp stuff to be metal suited, particularly for guitars (because of guitar tube amplification), and especially great for Sabbath, etc. I like the first Conrad Jonhson amp, the MV75, for heavy metal, even if the bass is not super tight (but is deep), but also happy w/ a Manley Stingray, which is my main amp & has quick EL84's tubes.

On the other hand, Krell amplification for me has been great for thrash metal I like. Lightning fast double kick drums, transitions, etc.  Oddly enough found that even a $150 Pyle pro-amp was satisfying for metal, even if it didn't have all the depth / width / detail of a "hi-fi" amp. As for other cheap amplification, even a cheapo NAD 314 integrated I picked up for $30 has been surprisingly punchy & entertaining for metal + rock.

PRELUDE

« Reply #288 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:30 pm »
Been meaning to jump in here since any forum devoted to metal - more so an audiophile one - deserves a big "hell yeah".  Lot's of new bands to check out since going through the threads.

Just thought I'd give a shout out to some bands not previously mentioned, in case they're not known:

Cavalera Conspiracy - brothers from Sepultura.  The first "Inflikted" album (circa 2007) has been one of my favorite recent albums.  Awesome thrash metal.

The Sword - love that deep heavy Sabbath sound.

Oldie but goodies :

Sacred Reich.  Anyone remember this band?  Particularly the Surf Nicaragua album or their War Pigs cover?

Nuclear Assault.  "Hang the Pope" wouldn't have much shock value today, but in its day was novel.

So many more - as you can see I like thrash metal.....if anyone knows of any recent good straight-up thrash metal bands, please let me know.
I have everything that you named.Not only one album but all of them.Hail to trash metal. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Did you get the new KREATOR and OVERKILL?
And I hope that you have never missed SODOM and DISTRUCTION.

simoon

« Reply #289 on: 13 Oct 2012, 05:00 pm »
For all those with a prog-metal bent. check this site out -

progmetalzone.com

Some very well written reviews, clips, interviews.

The site focuses on all forms of prog-metal, so the variety is good. Not very many Dream Theater clones to be found. Some very creative bands to discover.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #290 on: 13 Oct 2012, 05:15 pm »
I have everything that you named.Not only one album but all of them.Hail to trash metal. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Did you get the new KREATOR and OVERKILL?
And I hope that you have never missed SODOM and DISTRUCTION.

You'll likely howl in outrage, but have never listened to any of those four bands.  Now I will have to..........

PRELUDE

« Reply #291 on: 13 Oct 2012, 05:59 pm »
For all those with a prog-metal bent. check this site out -

progmetalzone.com

Some very well written reviews, clips, interviews.

The site focuses on all forms of prog-metal, so the variety is good. Not very many Dream Theater clones to be found. Some very creative bands to discover.
Nice site,thanks

PRELUDE

« Reply #292 on: 13 Oct 2012, 06:07 pm »
It is almost the shame that some of very good prog-metal/rock bands never got popular as they should like FATES WARNING and JAG PANZER.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #293 on: 1 Nov 2012, 10:53 am »
Samael - 'Passage'

Been listening to this great album a lot recently.  Some say it's their last good one.  They certainly changed directions afterward.  A couple of samples below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT31e__qWCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgg4FcRuxQ

asmoday

« Reply #294 on: 7 Nov 2012, 04:22 pm »
Samael - 'Passage'

Been listening to this great album a lot recently.  Some say it's their last good one.  They certainly changed directions afterward.  A couple of samples below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT31e__qWCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgg4FcRuxQ

Very nice Ericus Rex!  :thumb:

The only album of there's that I have is "Blood Ritual" I will definitely be on the look out for this one now.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #295 on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:09 pm »
Guys - I'm upgrading this to "sticky" status as it's the most viewed (10K+ & growing) thread on the Music Circle that has had a post in this last year. 

LONG LIVE METAL :rock:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #296 on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:22 pm »
Very nice Ericus Rex!  :thumb:

The only album of there's that I have is "Blood Ritual" I will definitely be on the look out for this one now.

Glad you like the links!  'Ceremony of Opposites' is another really good one from Samael.  I've read there two latest discs, 'Above' and 'Lux Mundi' are really good too but haven't yet splurged on them.  They had a few years of rather unsuccessful techno-metal between 'Passage' and 'Above'.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #297 on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:26 pm »
Well alrighty then!  :D

Some new ones:

Baleful Creed:  Killing Time EP, Buried Beneath EP, III EP all on Bandcamp

Broadzilla: Lady Luck

The Sword: Apocryphon

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #298 on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:16 am »

Well now, howzabout dat, headbangers ?  I made a sticky !   :D

Been listening to a lot of In Flames lately...Any other fans of the Gothenburg Sound out there?

D.D.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #299 on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:37 am »
Love The Sword.  Any other recommendations of bands like that - sans the obvious like Wolfmother?