My new (to me) FET Valve 600R

smrex13

My new (to me) FET Valve 600R
« on: 4 Jul 2016, 05:31 pm »
Greetings from Oregon, USA!

This is my first post here - I was lucky enough to find a good deal on a used FET valve 600R as part of my journey into separates.  I have an all vinyl system, and I'm looking for preamp recommendations.  Right now, I'm running a VPI Traveler turntable with a Clearaudio Maestro V2 cartridge > Croft RIAA Phono Amp (48db of gain) to Harbeth P3esr speakers.  My only concern is having too much overall gain in the system.  I tried separates about a year ago, and due to my own ignorance I ended up with way too much gain (McCormack amp and CJ preamp).  I want to be sure that I avoid a similar fate this time.  I assume that Frank's own Fet Valve preamp will slot in very nicely, but I am open to other suggestions (and guidance on how much gain I should be looking for in a preamp.

Thanks!  Scott

brusson

Re: My new (to me) FET Valve 600R
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:24 am »
Hi Scott -
     Can you explain what you mean by "too much gain"? You have a vinyl only setup, so there's a symbiotic relationship between your cartridge, phono preamp and preamp. (You don't mention what preamp you're currently using.) Are you hearing distortion? Are you unable to adjust the volume adequately?
     Note that there are many phono preamps, including AVA, with adjustable gain.
-BR

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:23 am »
Hi, Scott.

Where in Oregon? I live in Corvallis.

I own an AVA 400R and an AVA T8 tube preamp. I'm going to put the T8 up for sale soon - with an extra pair of tubes included.

Congratulations on scoring the 600R. It rocks!

Michael

Hiphile

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2016, 04:26 pm »
Hi Michael, Why are you selling your peamp? Just curious. I'm considering the T10 or a Brown Audio Lab SP-1b both are in the same price range (kind of!)

Ern Dog

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2016, 07:24 pm »
Hey Scott!  Welcome to AudioCircle!

How do you like this amp compared to the Immora integrated you were using?

Ernie

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:03 pm »
AVA preamps have a great synergy with the R series amps.  It is the way to go.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:56 am »
Hi Michael, Why are you selling your peamp? Just curious. I'm considering the T10 or a Brown Audio Lab SP-1b both are in the same price range (kind of!)

Well, I spend approximately 1/2 a year in Taiwan. I've got speakers there (for now), but I'm going to buy a new amp and preamp to pair with my Gustard X20 DAC. I think I have found both the amp and preamp to use there. Also, my T8 is just sitting in storage now. I Haven't used it since September of last year. I probably won't actually use it until 2017, so I may as well sell it. Same goes for my AVA Synergy 240/3. They're just sitting in their boxes.

And, yes. My 400R is in storage, too, but they'll have to pry it loose from my cold dead fingers before I let go of it.

smrex13

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2016, 04:18 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I spoke with Frank a couple of times and ended up ordering a Fet Valve CF preamp - should be here in a couple of weeks.  The 600R arrived a couple of days ago, but until I get the preamp I can't do any listening with it.  Will update when it arrives and I get some listening in.

Best, Scott

p.s.  Ern Dog - nice cat in your profile pic, is that yours? 

Ern Dog

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2016, 05:21 am »
Yeah, that's my all time favorite cat, Pumpkin, who passed away a few years ago.

Congrats on the new AVA gear!  I hope to hear it at some point.