Hello

orpyak

Hello
« on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:42 pm »

Hello all,

I am now trying to build a signal chain around the purchase of a pair of demo Bowers 802D2's that I bought on closeout.  I'm not a hifi expert, but I do want something that sounds good to my ears.

Before I bought the pair they were demoed through a McIntosh C2500 ( I think ) and a pair of McIntosh MC601's .. The setup sounded great to my ears, but paying that much for amplification combined with the new speakers puts me out of budget.

I also demoed the same model speakers Bowers 802D2's in another store through a Rotel Rc-1690/RB-1590 preamp/poweramp setup and it sounded more compressed with less bass attack when auditioning rock music.  The mc601's were more balanced in this area.  I had a Rotel system in the 1980's that I liked a lot so I gave them a shot, but I don't think they matched well for what I expect out of these speakers.

I'm also looking for used or demo preamp/poweramps, and I have been paying attention to Bryston, and used McIntosh.  I think these speakers need 350+ watts each.   I did audition a system with a Bryston 3b stereo amp, and I liked the sound, but it was very accurate, and if I do go with Bryston I think i would want a warmer sounding preamp.

I listen to anything from Gershwin to GWAR, so I'm looking for a versatile setup.

-Jerald

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:52 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Jerald.  :beer:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2015, 04:29 pm »
Welcome to AC! - I have an old pair of B&W P6s in one backup system.

TrungT

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2015, 04:32 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2015, 04:34 pm »
A friend on AC (Scott F.) drives his new 800D with 450 watts of McIntosh MC452. They do like power and I think you're right in thinking the 802 will enjoy some big watts.  Good luck on the search and I think you're headed down the right path of used MAC or Bryston.  Welcome to Audio Circle.