Audience aR12 powerconditioner and improvements

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Re: Audience aR12 powerconditioner and improvements
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2012, 05:43 am »
FINALLY I got around to replacing the original-but-flaking-apart common-mode choke and the Furutech 9g.-OFC inlet PC.  This time I bought a four-foot length of 10g. Neotec UPOCC-copper  NEP-3001...
http://www.soniccraft.com/products/wire/ac/neotech/nep-3001.htm

...unbroken from the Furutech FI52M(R)...
http://www.furutech.com/news/FI-52M(R)-(News).pdf
...to the on/off/circuitbreaker.  Got 3 turns of the positive and neutral conductors wound around the new ferrite...

Also got the pair* of Mundorf Silver/Oils back in after months ago breaking their leads and substituting some 600VDC SoniCaps I had.  The S/Os are visible above and here...

...where we also see the CMC 'potted' in hotglue.

The Neotec cable...

... isn't as flashy as the Furutech...

...but I'm confident the whole thing sounds a little better now.   :)

* 0.068s from hot to earth and neutral to earth.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2012, 01:17 am by jeffreybehr »

Ern Dog

« Reply #21 on: 22 Sep 2012, 03:25 pm »
Why so many rubber bands on the plug end?

srb

« Reply #22 on: 22 Sep 2012, 03:52 pm »

If you need to use rubber bands for any reason, I recommend Architec Stretch Hot Cooking Bands.  These silicone rubber bands are awesome, won't dry out or deteriorate and are rated to 500F.  I've had many in use for 6 + years, including securing a fan to a computer processor heatsink that had no mounting hardware, tennis racquet vibration dampener, storing long tube nozzle on aerosol cans and as ammo for my rubber band revolver.

http://www.amazon.com/Architec-Stretch-Cooking-Package-Assorted/dp/B000RODBZK

I have also found them locally at Bed Bath & Beyond.

(A company with some interesting kitchen products, I also really like the EcoSmart PolyFlax cutting boards - 100% recycled poly & flax husks, made in USA - http://www.amazon.com/Architec-EcoSmart-Polyflax-Cutting-16-Inch/dp/B002C1AVI6)

Steve
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2012, 04:58 pm by srb »

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2012, 04:45 pm »

I sometimes crawl back there and sit, with my legs sticking out, and I really don't want to unintentionally pull the PC from the wall; the rubberbands keep that from happening.

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:04 pm »
Your insurance company would certainly prefer X and Y rated capacitors but... so long as your house has decent circuit breakers, then metal box around them should be sufficient to not essential allow the failure to catch fire to your carpet or whatever. Decent circuit breakers will pop instead of allowing an electrical fire.

X and Y are just guaranteed to fail in a certain way. I use them, noise specific ones, but Audience is methodology is to cover as wide of a spectrum with the least capacitance. That is not what I do.

The better the capacitors, the better the accuracy, the better the coverage, essentially trying to maximize the theoretical capability of a give capacitance amount. At least I think that is the intent... maybe capacitors are easy to market with big price tags?

ericye

« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2014, 09:59 pm »
Learnt a lot from this!

jhrlrd

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2014, 03:14 am »
Would it be of any benefit to get the copper buss bar plated in gold? At least to prevent oxidation?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2014, 05:00 pm »
Would it be of any benefit to get the copper buss bar plated in gold? At least to prevent oxidation?
It would look pretty.
Gold only has electrical contact advantages in low voltage/low current situations.
Never plug a Gold plated AC power plug in if the equipment is turned on! The current will blow a hole in the Gold plating.