Alfa Romeo Giulia

Emil

Alfa Romeo Giulia
« on: 16 Apr 2017, 11:35 am »
We know that the Italians can design and engineer beautifull cars but reliable?

Any feed back yet on the new Alfas?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2017, 11:45 am »
Not reliable as US cars, also maintenance is expensive, very.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2017, 11:58 am »
And knowledgable service is another concern, especially on a road trip.

Out here in the hinterlands picking brands is largely by reliability and available service.  So FCA brands rank very low.  In fact the local FCA dealership is being investigated for sending a potential customer out on a test drive in a used car with no brakes that resulted in a fatality.

We have Michigan's largest Toyota dealer 35 miles away and it's a very good one.  And we have a local mechanic who is well versed in Subaru.  So those are the brands I've settled down with.  The Camry is a better vehicle (more reliable and cheaper to operate) but the Outback is great in the winter and can haul wifey's rabbit cages (she shows them). 

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2017, 12:21 pm »
A heartstrings looker for sure.

Reminds me of the Maserati sedans with Ferrari motors in them.  Would love one, and they are surprisingly affordable 4-5 years old.  Then you check the maintenance costs.  Ouch!  But what a sound from that motor!

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2017, 01:43 pm »
Not reliable as US cars, also maintenance is expensive, very.

I would never keep a car like this after it's warranty period. I would say the same for BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2017, 01:47 pm »
And knowledgable service is another concern, especially on a road trip.

Out here in the hinterlands picking brands is largely by reliability and available service.  So FCA brands rank very low.  In fact the local FCA dealership is being investigated for sending a potential customer out on a test drive in a used car with no brakes that resulted in a fatality.

We have Michigan's largest Toyota dealer 35 miles away and it's a very good one.  And we have a local mechanic who is well versed in Subaru.  So those are the brands I've settled down with.  The Camry is a better vehicle (more reliable and cheaper to operate) but the Outback is great in the winter and can haul wifey's rabbit cages (she shows them).

I can understand that, JLM.

I believe Alfas are being sold and serviced by Chrysler dealers here in the US so I don't see this as being much of a concern getting service anywhere in the US.

I would also consider the Maserrati but here on Long island the closest and only dealer is 45 minutes from me.
Don't seeing myself traveling that far for an oil change.

tubesguy2

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2017, 01:48 pm »
I have a test drive scheduled for later this month. Will post impressions.

roscoe65

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2017, 02:32 pm »
I can understand that, JLM.

I believe Alfas are being sold and serviced by Chrysler dealers here in the US so I don't see this as being much of a concern getting service anywhere in the US.

I would also consider the Maserati but here on Long island the closest and only dealer is 45 minutes from me.
Don't seeing myself traveling that far for an oil change.

I'm very close to that dealer and I wouldn't touch a Maserati for a number of reasons.  I just had to deal with major FCA warrantee issues at work.  While the Guilia is beautiful and a great performer, at the end of the day it is a Fiat.  Fiat reliability was a running joke in the 1970's and it hasn't gotten much better.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2017, 02:52 pm »
  Fiat reliability was a running joke in the 1970's and it hasn't gotten much better.

If you want to keep one running, buy 2. Second for parts.  :thumb:

kmmd

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2017, 03:09 pm »
I've been thinking about the QV to replace my modded 2007 BMW 335i coupe, but then I saw this article:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-luck-of-the-half-irish/

I think I'll wait a while before jumping in. Then there's the AWD M5 coming out too, but I've learned the lesson to never buy the first year of a new generation of BMW's.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2017, 03:42 pm »

I would never keep a car like this after it's warranty period. I would say the same for BMW, Mercedes or Audi.
I have an '03 525i.  Just one repair of significance (alternator); very reliable.

Emil

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2017, 03:43 pm »
Fiat reliability was a running joke in the 1970's and it hasn't gotten much better.

F I A T
i  t g o
x   a n
     i  y
     n
 :lol:
So true. Sister had a Fiat 131 in the 70's. What crap.

What a shame

Emil

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2017, 03:47 pm »
So Fiat owns Alfa, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep as well. Not a stable of reliable cars I would say.

I did buy and still have a 2011 Jeep Compass for my daughter agisnt my own better judgement. I must say it is better than I thought it would be.

I have had Toyotas for the past 10 years. Pretty vanilla but reliable as hell.

Wife has a Camry and I'm on my 3rd Prius.

All 70 horses and 82 pounds of torque, baby :lol:

Emil

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2017, 03:47 pm »
I have an '03 525i.  Just one repair of significance (alternator); very reliable.

Knock on wood :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2017, 05:03 pm »
Quote from: Emil link=topic=149801.msg1602016#msg1602016 date=14923576
[/quote

My 2009 BMW M3 has 73,000 miles and has needed nothing outside of maintenance work (brakes, oil changes, etc...).

I was contemplating getting an Audi RS6 when I remembered how frequently my S4 had to be repaired over a three year period and came to my senses.

The Giulia is beautiful and I am sure fun to drive, but no thanks for me.

George

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2017, 07:37 pm »

My son and I have had 3 and 5 series cars (all used) for the past 30 years and drove them like we stole them.  One head gasket, not much else, if you don't count the ones he wrecked.... :banghead:

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2017, 08:00 pm »

Overall quality control of vehicles has gotten much better since the '70's. I don't think you can make such blanket statements.

Look how many Mercedes are in this list!  :o

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/consumer-reports-least-reliable-new-cars-include-the-fiat-500l-jeep-cherokee-and-nissan-pathfinder-1.11016600

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2017, 08:55 pm »

Sir you are out of touch with today. BMW's full line isn't as reliable as older generations but the 3 and below have continued to be very reliable. Audi until the early 2000's were not reliable but throughout the early 2000's the totally changed into being reliable that is ranking often in the top 5.

MB has been a travesty since the 80's, entirely fizzling out by 1993. Shame. Although the AMG line would be a blast to drive if you can afford it, and aren't keeping it after a few years.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2017, 09:39 pm »
My last gf worked for a Porsche racing team and sold Porsche/MB parts online. Prices are unbelievable... the cost of owning a German car is a real turn off imo.

The Giulia Quadwhatever runs a Ferrari derived motor pushing 34 psi of boost, if one of those motors made it to 100k miles without using a quart of oil every couple hundred miles I'd be shocked, and I'd bet most won't get near 100k miles. It does seem like a great car to lease for a few years though...  :lol:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #19 on: 16 Apr 2017, 10:10 pm »
We know that the Italians can design and engineer beautifull cars but reliable?

Any feed back yet on the new Alfas?

FWIW. They were impressed. No clue on how it will hold up in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8LrA21vuo